Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning for sash window colour change 9Dublin)

Options
  • 26-04-2019 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I was wondering if I needed planning permission to change the colour of my sash windows on a Georgian house in Rathmines, Dublin 6. They are currently white and my better half wants to change them to a darker colour.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is the house listed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KingBot wrote: »
    I was wondering if I needed planning permission to change the colour of my sash windows on a Georgian house in Rathmines, Dublin 6. They are currently white and my better half wants to change them to a darker colour.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If it’s a Protected structure then planning would be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Isnt there a way shy of planning to find out? A section 5 or summit?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Isnt there a way shy of planning to find out? A section 5 or summit?

You can lodge a Section 5 Application.
    Forms
    Maps
    Drawings if required.
    Fee of €80
    Decision within 4 weeks telling you if panning is required.

Or the OP can confirm if it’s a protected structure or not and the decision will be given in 5 mins.

If protected, then end of. Planning required. If not protected, planning not required :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭rayjdav

If the house IS listed, its not a Section 5 you want, its a Section 57. This will detail exactly what parts of the house is listed and what parts can be altered, without "materially affecting" the character or structure of the property.
    Be careful here as if you go in blind, naturally the conservation dept will give you the Gold Brand of works listed and insist on everything so get someone who knows how to deal with the coco to have a look first.

Advertisement