Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Cashback" with N26 standard Mastercard

• 26-04-2019 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Has anyone had experience with asking retailers for "cashback" with an N26 standard Mastercard.
    I joined N26 with the intention of making it my primary banking account. I've been using it for a month now and am close to pulling the plug on my Irish account (I firmly believe Ulster Bank will regret the new fees structure which has taken them from being one of cheapest "Irish" banks to one of the most expensive). Rant over :-)
    Anyway, the only niggle so far has been with "cashback". I got refused cashback in Dunnes Stores (transaction was for 22 Euro incidentally). The checkout operator told me it was "my card" that would not allow it.
    N26 claim that there is no reason cashback should not work in a retailer and the actual transaction is no different from their perspective. N26 even went as far as to say that they would not even know if cashback had been given as all they see is the total amount.
    This leads me to suspect that there are companies in Ireland whose own point of sale systems may be refusing cashback on "Non-Irish" debit cards. (This is certainly the case for direct debits as discussed elsewhere on this site)
    So, my questions are :
    What experience have people had with "cashback" using an N26 standard card?
    Has anyone managed to get cashback anywhere in Ireland with an N26 card and if so, which retailer?
    Has anyone been refused and if so, which retailer and was there a reason given? (Obviusly I'm citing Dunnes as one such retailer)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Perhaps if this occurs and enough ppl vote with their feet by not completing the transaction and leaving the items behind they'll change their policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 daveblinkbass

I’ve being reading up on joining N26 or Revolut for a secondary account (initially at least). I’m with BOI but I’m sick of waiting for this IT overhaul. Myself and my girlfriend have a KBC joint account and I think the Apple Pay feature is brilliant but unless you deposit a fixed sum into the account every month you’re going to pay €6 per month.

Anyways, referring to your question about cashback. During my research, I read about Cash26, which is a feature for German users of N26 in Germany. They have partnered with several retail firms whereby the user gets a barcode on the app and the retailer scans it and offers cashback. Based on this, it would appear this is their only option for cashback and it’s not available outside Germany at present. If you were to use this feature in Germany, it would not affect your limit on free ATM withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭nirvana78

I've also been refused cashback in Dunnes but I have been successful in both Tesco and my local Centra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Been using N26 as my main account for months now, never had an issue with Cashback.

Sounds like a Dunne Stores issue, I'd put it up on Social Media, tagging, Dunne Stores, N26, Centra, Super Valu etc.

It wont be a problem for long, they don't like negative publicity with their competition tagged also.

Works every-time for me!

Its great to be rid of the cancer, that is the IRISH banks!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

Just switched to N26 as my primary bank account and so far so good. However, has anyone been able to use ApplePay / GooglePay to do cashback? I tried Tesco with no success.

My online research suggests drawing cash is possible with ApplePay / GooglePay on the ATM that has contactless capabilities.

If there is a way to withdraw cash contactlessly on the basic N26 account, you won't even need to order the physical card, meaning completely free banking. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I do not believe that you can obtain cashback from any provider or store by only using a Google Pay or Apple Pay digital wallet.

My understanding is that a physical card is necessary for all cashback transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

This is correct. You must enter your pin for cashback. You cant get cashback Via your phone or tapping.

N26 allows cashback. I have never used it but just tried it here on my CC machine and it gave me the option. Cashback is a service the retailer has to enable.

Brilliant, that's great to know that they offer it. Thanks for letting us know.

I've been faced with this issue. Apparently Supervalu terminal marks it as a Credit Card, and my two transaction attempts were refused before the PIN.

I thought that this was something that was sorted, but obviously not.

Advertisement