Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston/NYC trip

Options
  • 26-04-2019 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All,
    We are planning a trip to NYC for later in the year.(my partner and myself).
    I was thinking of taking in Boston at the same time.
    What have others done?
    I initially though to fly to NYC travel to Boston and fly home from there but one way flights are more than double return flights.
    Is the train up and down a good option?
    Also how long would ye recommend in each city or is better just go to one at a time?
    I've been to NYC for a week a few years back but never Boston. My partner has been to neither.

thanks for any advice.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Greg81

I have done Philadelphia-Washington-NY-Cape Cod-Boston on one trip

Check https://us.megabus.com/ I have used them multiple times. Good prices.

Boston for me 3 days tops.

NY - as many days as you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Instead of looking to book one way fares there and back, did you check out the possibility of booking a multi-city ticket? I did that with Aer Lingus transatlantic and it was quite good value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Greg81

AngryLips wrote: »
    Instead of looking to book one way fares there and back, did you check out the possibility of booking a multi-city ticket? I did that with Aer Lingus transatlantic and it was quite good value

Or Norwegian if that's OK with you to travel on budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

I did that trip last September - 5 nights in New York and 4 in Boston. Brilliant time!! Had never been and didn't want to go all that way to see one city. I got a multi-city ticket which was about €520 for the smart fare option (one that included seat pick, checked bag). I found hotels in Boston fairly expensive so I went with Airbnb. But I was travelling solo so you mightn't find them dear.

I got the Limoliner bus to Boston. The trains I was looking at had no checked baggage. I think it was $80 for a ticket and lunch, snacks and drinks were included in the fare. Their stops are really central - West 53rd(?) in NYC and Back Bay in Boston.

I would have liked another day in New York.....jet lag wiped me out for the first 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Did something similar in Sept 2017. 3 nights in New York and 4 nights in Boston. Got the train up and down. Fortunate enough to have family in New York so no hotels to pay for there. As a previous post said hotels in Boston tend to be a tad pricey. We stayed in the Hotel 140 beside Back Bay station and very convenient for all the sights of downtown Boston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You can get a lot out of Boston but really the peak season is September to November for the foliage. You can catch Cape Cod, do the historical city tour, head up to Salem or Maine where there are other great sights and day trips. NYC has tonnes to do in the city whereas Boston city can be seen in about 2 days- its the day trips outside of Boston that sells it.

Advertisement