Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitter rates

Options
  • 26-04-2019 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

I have a babysitter coming for the first time. She's going to mind my kids (11 months and 2.5) for a few hours while we go out. What's the going rate these days (it's been a long time since I babysat!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I just asked my daughter. She's a qualified child minder. €10 to 12 per hour she says

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Our babysitter charges 15 per hour in north county Dublin. She is an older lady with childcare experience though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

30 euro the going rate

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Depends on the age of the sitter. An older girl for us gets 10, but the younger ones get 8.

30 euro the going rate

For the night or 30 per hour?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    For the night or 30 per hour?

The night once you home around midnight

The night once you home around midnight

I thought 30 per hour was too expensive. :)

I'd imagine there is a big difference in Dublin rates and country rates. Also a big difference in paying a teenager & someone qualified trained with life saving training

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I’ve only needed a sitter once over the last couple of years (very lucky to have plenty family close by) but the time we did we paid €10 an hour.

ETA: That’s South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We pay €10 per hour South Dublin. I always ask her the rate first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Crazy to hear of teens setting hourly rates, really. When I was babysitting in the mid-2000s, the parents would just slip me whatever they saw fit as payment. I do remember one night, being there from 7pm til 3am and getting £20 though and not being too impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I thought 30 per hour was too expensive. :)

I'd imagine there is a big difference in Dublin rates and country rates. Also a big difference in paying a teenager & someone qualified trained with life saving training

Country rates?! Seriously! Doubt there’s much of a difference. We pay €12 an hour in Galway city. So going by some previous posters who pay €10 p/h in South Dublin, Galway is more expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Crazy to hear of teens setting hourly rates, really. When I was babysitting in the mid-2000s, the parents would just slip me whatever they saw fit as payment. I do remember one night, being there from 7pm til 3am and getting £20 though and not being too impressed.

Of course they should set hourly rates or at least negotiate a rate with the parents .They are providing a service and should be paid accordingly. Why should they rely on the parent to give them “whatever they saw fit”. I think that’s a bit degrading tbh! I was definitely getting €8/10 an hour back in the early 2000’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

cant26 wrote: »

Of course they should set hourly rates or at least negotiate a rate with the parents .They are providing a service and should be paid accordingly. Why should they rely on the parent to give them “whatever they saw fit”. I think that’s a bit degrading tbh! I was definitely getting €8/10 an hour back in the early 2000’s.
    Same. I babysat from 16 until I finished college and the scabby parents were always avoided in the area!
    I'm in Dublin, I'd pay €10 an hour, more if its a late night.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

We give €50 , usually go for a meal around 7pm followed by a few drinks and home around midnight . Also get our taxi to drop her home and we cover that .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Thanks all. I bit the bullet and just asked! She usually gets €10 per hour but we gave €50 for 3.5 hours. I don’t want to sound stingy but I’d been advised 10-15 per hour but I thought €15 per hour for a few hours is fair since their night is given up, but it’s a lot of it’s say 7 hours.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yeah, I think €50 is about right as a minimum payment for babysitting. It makes you think twice about heading out for a couple of hours if you've got to fork that much over but at the same time if you stuck to the advertised rate and handed over €20 to someone who has abandoned any chance of enjoying their evening, you'd feel pretty bad about it.

We have a minimum €50 arrangement with our babysitters and it means they are available when we ask instead of excusing themselves. It also means we don't feel bad getting home a bit later than said if we are enjoying ourselves.

Our babysitters are probably also worth more than €10-12 because we're very lucky to have older students who are cash poor but already well qualified for child minding and have been Garda vetted but that's possibly down to where we live (very close to UCD.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

50 min??
    What about a trip to the cinema??
    There are plenty of babysitters who'd jump at a couple of hours work and don't care about an 'evening ruined'.
    Why the hell should I feel bad about handing over my hard earned money for someone doing a job?
    If the kids are small, they may well be asleep, so they can catch up on whatever they wish... I have college students who often do studying and college work when we get them.
    10p/h is fine. Can't believe those getting more! Think I'll start doing some myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,529 ✭✭✭✭ted1

30 euro the going rate
    Not for an hour

Advertisement