Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move home and save double the amount or stay renting and keep saving the same amount?

Options
  • 26-04-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Move home and save double the amount or stay renting and keep saving the same amount ?

Obviously moving home to save would give us a deposit quicker.
    We would be basically saving our rent money on top of our Mortgage savings but would the bank look at this less favourably ? ( i really don't see why as we already have a good saving track record)

Saving since July last year and all is going well but wouldn't mind speeding things up because saving this amount while renting is painful and the thoughts of another 18 months is hard to swallow and if the prices go up so does the saving period.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

How do your parents feel about it? I assume that you moving back will mean that they will incur additional costs (heating/electricity/food etc). Do you plan on paying them rent?

Edit: sorry, I'm not saying that moving home is a bad idea. It's quite possible that your parents would be thrilled to have you back home. All I'm saying is that you should maybe consider things from their perspective as well as your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That's a easy question to a difficult answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Obviously moving home to save would give us a deposit quicker. We would be basically saving our rent money on top of our Mortgage savings but would the bank look at this less favourably ? ( i really don't see why as we already have a good saving track record)

Do you not intend paying towards the cost of living in your parents house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Depends on where you are moving home to. We stayed with my in-laws for a while after we got married to save and it worked well. They are easy going and rarely home and we kept the house clean, paid for groceries and cooked, bought fuel etc in lieu of rent. Everyone was happy and I think they were actually sad to see us go in the end.

I couldn’t move home to my parents. They live on a very busy farm so there are all sorts of people in an out of the house all day and I would get dragged in to doing all sorts of jobs any time I’d be home, this still happens when I visit the odd time. My father is also a difficult man to live with for reasons I won’t get in to.

If it’s an arrangement that you can make work and your parents are open to it I don’t see any reason not to go for it. It’s amazing how much you can save when you take out rent etc. Make sure you have a rigid plan for saving the extra income as it would be easy to spend it foolishly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

As a parent to adults, here's my side of it.

I'd encourage them to move home and save more quickly to get their own home. As far as expenses go, I'd expect a reasonable contribution towards running the home, but that (ie, what I'd ask for) would be nothing compared to paying out rent.

Taking a risk here, they already have rumbled my boards id.:eek:
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

pjdarcy wrote: »
    How do your parents feel about it? I assume that you moving back will mean that they will incur additional costs (heating/electricity/food etc). Do you plan on paying them rent?

Edit: sorry, I'm not saying that moving home is a bad idea. It's quite possible that your parents would be thrilled to have you back home. All I'm saying is that you should maybe consider things from their perspective as well as your own.

Considering my father lives alone in a 3 bed house after my mother died with no mortgage he would be more than delighted to have me back. On top of this I would take over all bills.
    He's actually hinted at it a number of times me coming back while saving. Now can anyone actually try and attempt an answer at the question above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Considering my father lives alone in a 3 bed house after my mother died with no mortgage he would be more than delighted to have me back. On top of this I would take over all bills.
    He's actually hinted at it a number of times me coming back while saving. Now can anyone actually try and attempt an answer at the question above.

No brainer OP. Like I said though you will need to be disciplined and not let the extra money burn a hole in you pocket.

That's a easy question to a difficult answer.

What does that even mean ?

Sorry, my previous post fails to address your main question.

I know someone who did it, and they were definitely welcomed with open arms to the bank, when they did what you propose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I had my children stay with me with their partners until they moved into the homes they built, it meant they could come out mortgage free, worked hard, , the youngest is now 33 and going great in her new home, anyway we would have heating on for ourselves, , did not ask for anything towards household, but if I saw them being stupid with money, they would be reminded why we all decided to live together, I am glad I put up with it all, and all is well in the end, and anyway with everyone working, we were not in one anothers space all of the time, they were busy building any time the had to spare, and best of all, we are all still great friends, no problems

• Advertisement

I couldn’t move home to my parents. They live on a very busy farm so there are all sorts of people in an out of the house all day and I would get dragged in to doing all sorts of jobs any time I’d be home, this still happens when I visit the odd time. My father is also a difficult man to live with for reasons I won’t get in to.

The bold part is also what puts me off. But yeah he really does want me to move home while saving but I have a better relationship not living at home.

We would be basically saving our rent money on top of our Mortgage savings but would the bank look at this less favourably ? ( i really don't see why as we already have a good saving track record)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Now can anyone actually try and attempt an answer at the question above.

Just what do you think anybody is going to be able to tell you?

Based on the little detail you have given it seems you could move back to a house where you would be welcome and in doing so drastically cut your costs. Sounds like a simple choice.

Reasons not to would include location, commute, relationships, work etc etc, all things that nobody here has been told a single thing about.

I know someone who did it, and they were definitely welcomed with open arms to the bank, when they did what you propose.

To reiterate, this person was definitely NOT looked upon less favourably for moving home and substantially increasing the savings. They showed rent details for the prior period, then bank statements to show their increased savings after moving home. It worked out very well.

That's good news!
    Appreciate it. Might have a word with a mortgage adviser anyway. No harm I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The bank count savings + rent as one figure when assessing ability to repay, they don't care whether the split is 10:90 or 99:1.

Just what do you think anybody is going to be able to tell you?

Based on the little detail you have given it seems you could move back to a house where you would be welcome and in doing so drastically cut your costs. Sounds like a simple choice.

Reasons not to would include location, commute, relationships, work etc etc, all things that nobody here has been told a single thing about.

Read the post again.
    Nickle seems to be on the ball here.

To reiterate, this person was definitely NOT looked upon less favourably for moving home and substantially increasing the savings. They showed rent details for the prior period, then bank statements to show their increased savings after moving home. It worked out very well.

This is what I was hoping for.
    No brainer it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You seem to have answered it yourself. He'd like it and you'd like it.

That's good news!
    Appreciate it. Might have a word with a mortgage adviser anyway. No harm I suppose.

Well, good luck with it. My understanding is that they want you to demonstrate an ability to pay a set amount every month (presumably as much as they might have to pay for the mortgage).

Before submitting bank statements, make sure there are no regular transfers to online gambling of any sort - I've heard modern myths about this.

The person I refer to, actually used cash most of the time, taking out sufficient amounts for day-to-day spending. It meant that , what might be considered as frivolous spending wasn't recorded - eg daily facials or whatever.

• Advertisement

People seem to be confused about the question.
    What I meant was, will the banks look less favourbaly living at home saving double. Seem to have my answer i think.

Well, good luck with it. My understanding is that they want you to demonstrate an ability to pay a set amount every month (presumably as much as they might have to pay for the mortgage).

Before submitting bank statements, make sure there are no regular transfers to online gambling of any sort - I've heard modern myths about this.

The person I refer to, actually used cash most of the time, taking out sufficient amounts for day-to-day spending. It meant that , what might be considered as frivolous spending wasn't recorded - eg daily facials or whatever.

I'm trying my best with just taking out cash. In todays world some saving while being extra careful of what I'm spending on its so difficult. Everything is tracked.
    No gambling on account since last year and this was only 1 bet. Nothing for a year before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Considering my father lives alone in a 3 bed house after my mother died with no mortgage he would be more than delighted to have me back. On top of this I would take over all bills. He's actually hinted at it a number of times me coming back while saving. Now can anyone actually try and attempt an answer at the question above.

Your problem is then how will the bank react to not being in a position to show you were paying rent for whatever period you intend living with your parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bumders

I'm trying my best with just taking out cash. In todays world some saving while being extra careful of what I'm spending on its so difficult. Everything is tracked.
    No gambling on account since last year and this was only 1 bet. Nothing for a year before that.

Speak with a broker I would say, You have come to a high horse forum where people think they know what they are talking about and asking about dealings with your own family which is none of their business.

going to unfollow now, as I don't think I can add anything more to it.

Good Luck bigmac1euro.

Your problem is then how will the bank react to not being in a position to show you were paying rent for whatever period you intend living with your parent.

I don't think I understand your question fully.

At the moment my rent is
    1200 per month
    i save 1200 per month.
    Have rented for 3 years.
    Started saving 1200 per month last July.

If I move home I would not be paying any rent.

I would just be saving 2400 per month.

going to unfollow now, as I don't think I can add anything more to it.

Good Luck bigmac1euro.

Nick hopefully someday I can afford a bigmac for 1 euro and ill buy you one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Move home and save double the amount or stay renting and keep saving the same amount ?

Obviously moving home to save would give us a deposit quicker.

Saving since July last year and all is going well but wouldn't mind speeding things up because saving this amount while renting is painful and the thoughts of another 18 months is hard to swallow and if the prices go up so does the saving period.

I moved back to parents house. Was the only way to save the deposit. Bank had no issue with it. With the stress test we had to have a certain amount to meet each month through rent and savings but they didn’t care if it was all savings. I did pay my way with my parents towards bills and food. However our bank would not include that as part of savings or bills.

bumders wrote: »
    Speak with a broker I would say, You have come to a high horse forum where people think they know what they are talking about and asking about dealings with your own family which is none of their business.

I think Ill be having words with a broker alright. I think some people here might of misinterpreted the question but that's cool! Some helpful info as well.

If someone posted who has done this before that would be helpful too but sure we'll see how it goes.

Ill probably wake up tomorrow with people asking me what age is my brother and does he have kids.

• Advertisement

Dolbhad wrote: »
    I moved back to parents house. Was the only way to save the deposit. Bank had no issue with it. With the stress test we had to have a certain amount to meet each month through rent and savings but they didn’t care if it was all savings. I did pay my way with my parents towards bills and food. However our bank would not include that as part of savings or bills.

Thanks for the reply. Might have to move home then at least for the last couple of months to get the money up fast. Because this saving business is tough going but not impossible either as some people would say.

Advertisement