Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows PC help

Options
  • 26-04-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im wondering if anyone would be able to help me out on how to fix my computer.

Yesterday the computer was installing something on my account so I left it and went to do something else while it was installing. it went into sleep mode and my roommate then went to the computer and hit the button to turn the computer on thinking it was turned off.

Since then the computer won't boot into Windows and displays a message your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart before going into a boot loop.
    I tried to boot in safe mode and then clicked repair and I'm told windows cannot repair your PC.

I then tried the tutorials on youtube about working with the command prompt to fix the computer using chkdsk to fix boot and I'm told access denied!
    I tried the tutorials about using disport to rename it so you can access it and yet again I receive the same message.
    I tried scannow and get another error message and "failed to transfer logged status 50".

I noticed when using diskpart that one of the volumes is marked as hidden and wondered if this could be the issue.

I don't have a bootable windows 10 drive, I ordered one but am waiting on it.

Is there anyway I could fix this issue myself or will i have to go to a repair guy?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Do you have a backup of all important information on the PC?

If the answer is yes then a reinstall of windows might be the quickest way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

DipDab93 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im wondering if anyone would be able to help me out on how to fix my computer.

Yesterday the computer was installing something on my account so I left it and went to do something else while it was installing. it went into sleep mode and my roommate then went to the computer and hit the button to turn the computer on thinking it was turned off.

Since then the computer won't boot into Windows and displays a message your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart before going into a boot loop.
    I tried to boot in safe mode and then clicked repair and I'm told windows cannot repair your PC.

I then tried the tutorials on youtube about working with the command prompt to fix the computer using chkdsk to fix boot and I'm told access denied!
    I tried the tutorials about using disport to rename it so you can access it and yet again I receive the same message.
    I tried scannow and get another error message and "failed to transfer logged status 50".

I noticed when using diskpart that one of the volumes is marked as hidden and wondered if this could be the issue.

I don't have a bootable windows 10 drive, I ordered one but am waiting on it.

Is there anyway I could fix this issue myself or will i have to go to a repair guy?

TIA
    This might be a recovery partition. If you have valuable data on it then you should consider bootable cd/usb data recovery solutions

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

Can you get to "System Restore" from safe mode ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DipDab93

Thanks for the responses guys

I don't have any data of any value on it as the HD failed a few weeks ago and repair guy put in a SSD and I never really got round to putting my important stuff on to the computer however I keep all important stuff backed up with flash drives and cloud.

I went into system restore in safe mode but I think I got some kind of error saying that I didn't set up a previous restore point. I then went into system reset and tried reset the system and no joy there either.

I ordered the bootable windows cd last night but Im wondering when it arrives will that solve the issue or is it an issue with the disks seeing as when i try fix boot I get the access denied error message

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If you can get to a command prompt try:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos

Hit ENTER after each line then restart after all 3 have been completed.

If this doesn't work you will probably need to get down and dirty with the bcd command ...

Ken

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    If you can get to a command prompt try:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos

Hit ENTER after each line then restart after all 3 have been completed.

If this doesn't work you will probably need to get down and dirty with the bcd command ...

Ken
    Hi Ken

Thanks for the response
    Fixboot won't work for me I'm afraid and Im not too familiar with bcd command.
    I don't know exactly what the error is but i suspect that when the computer was switched off while installing something that it created some inaccessible partition

The hidden partition is probably the normal hidden partition on all UEFI Windows 10 installs.

What happens when you run bootrec /fixboot ? bootrec /fixmbr ?

Ken

When I run bootrec fix boot I get access denied and
    I got another error with fixmbr" the system cannot find the path specified"
    scannow won't work either "total identified windows installations: 0"

turned it on a minute ago held down win+i and tried to select the usb drive but i was taken to a blue hazy screen. I am aware that the BSOD is often a HDD failure however a few weeks ago when the repair guy told me the HDD was dead he put in a SSD but also left the HDD in it. Not sure if it has any relevance to what im experiencing but just thought it could shed some light
    TIA

Usually F2 or F12 will take you to a boot menu from where you could select a boot device I.e. USB key. Different brands use different hot keys.

Is it possible to remove the HDD leaving just the SSD ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Installation media can be created on another, working PC with internet connection - media creation tool - no need to pay for installation CD and/or wait for delivery.

Agree with digsie (providing no data recovery needed) - cleanest and fastest way would be fresh install.

As above - remove HDD prior installation to avoid "confusions".

Clean disk(SSD) with diskpart prior new install.

Going BCD rebuild way indeed might be messy, especially if HDD present and has "old" Windows.
    There is possibility that "new" Windows was installed with HDD present and installation "reused" partitions on HDD. Now, if HDD is died/corrupt, Windows don't know "where to start".

• Advertisement

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I went into safe mode and reset the computer in its entirety and was able to get it working again however, when I boot up now i have to do safe boot otherwise it goes into dual bios, if i remove the old HDD will i still have this issue ?

however, when I boot up now i have to do safe boot otherwise it goes into dual bios...
    You sure you not mixing things here?
    Dual BIOS, providing your MoBo supports it (no computer specs provided), has little to do with HDD present or not.
    Dual boot, on other hand...

Remove it and you'll find out.

Hi All,

sorry for delayed response, I removed the old HDD and I am still getting this Dual Bios boot loop situation.
    Anyone know how to fix it?

TIA

Hi All,

sorry for delayed response, I removed the old HDD and I am still getting this Dual Bios boot loop situation.
    Anyone know how to fix it?

TIA
    If what you describing here is what it is, its likely not OS issue anymore, but motherboard/BIOS

What is PC specs? If not sure, post picture of motherboard(quality!)

Can you post boot loop and error(if any) screenshots or even short video?

What were you installing in the first place, when PC was "shutdown by you friend"?

What other steps (if any) you attempted ?

If what you describing here is what it is, its likely not OS issue anymore, but motherboard/BIOS

What is PC specs? If not sure, post picture of motherboard(quality!)

Can you post boot loop and error(if any) screenshots or even short video?

What were you installing in the first place, when PC was "shutdown by you friend"?

What other steps (if any) you attempted ?

not sure how to post motherboard quality or specs

there is no bootloop error It boots Dual Bios with a blue screen shows up then, it boots again and same thing again and keeps rebooting

I was installing microsoft visual studio

not sure how to post motherboard quality or specs

there is no bootloop error It boots Dual Bios with a blue screen shows up then, it boots again and same thing again and keeps rebooting

I was installing microsoft visual studio

Picture quality, picture with markings/prints clear readable, not blurred, not obscured by cabling, etc.
    Motherboard model, version number can give info to work on.
    You not definitive, is loop on Windows or BIOS? "Blue" screen has message/statement? What is it? Take picture of every screen change you get in sequence from "power ON", post here.

G search "Dual Bios boot loop", are you getting something similar? Don't jump "trying" things if not sure what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kao123

What version of Windows are you running, if the PC was in the process of running an update ( in the background) for say Windows 10 then there is a good chance powering it off (like your flatmate did) has corrupted the Windows install.

The hidden partition is quite likely a recovery partition or the system diags partition.
    If it is Windows 10, try booting to safe mode : SHIFT + F8 on boot when you see the windows logo.

If safe mode works, Select Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Startup Repair.
    If that fails boot to safe mode again, Select Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Command Prompt.
    The bootrec commands should run in safe mode.
    Try the following commands:

bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

sfc /scannow - this will attempt to repair and system files that are corrupted.

Also try the DISM commands if the above commands in safe mode don't help:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Checkhealth
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

A recovery disk/USB created from another PC may be another option.
    If you rename Volumes and Partitions using diskpart the windows boot loader will get "confused"

Advertisement