Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asbestos Removal

Options
  • 26-04-2019 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm looking at buying a house, and on the surveyor's report it indicates that there is asbestos in two places: (i) Shed roof (ii) And a panel in the boiler press. Obviously we will need a licensed contractor for this work.

Our primary concern is having the asbestos removed from the boiler press and the door replaced as the property also needs rewiring so I'm worried about the boiler press panel being damaged in the process. We would also like to remove and replace the asbestos roof from the shed, but if it will be very expensive we are more comfortable putting this off a little until we have more cash.

I have tried calling and contacting several companies (found via google) about getting a quote but finding it very difficult to get anyone to answer, or I'm being told that they don't do residential works. Would anyone have have a rough idea how much it would cost to have either/both of these works done? Unfortunately I don't know the size of the shed to be more exact, but it's not very large. And if anyone can recommend/advise on a company who would carry them out can you please pm me details of the company?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You haven’t mentioned the size of the shed roof or access to hp, will you need to remove he tank ie have plumber on standby? Budget 2k assuming they get it done in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jocasta

As I said I don't have the dimensions of the shed, I have asked the estate agent to send them on but she doesn't have them yet. As we haven't bought the house yet we don't really have access to take measurements etc. and it's difficult for me to take them myself as I am 37 weeks pregnant.

It is the gas boiler in a press downstairs in the hallway, not the water cylinder in the hot press so no plumber needed. As the press door opens out into the hallway I guess I pictured that they would just take the door off the hinges and remove it in one piece, but I don't know about these kind of things. Would that be an unrealistic way of doing it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

So you need a gas installer not a plumber my bad. When you have the dimensions and a picture go and seek quotes from asbestos removal companies. Do not tell them this is speculative!

Advertisement