Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build chimney smoking?

• 26-04-2019 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

So my newbuild chimney is spoking. We lit the fire the last two days. It smells strongly of smoke in the room but not visible. Should I be concerned? What do I do?

Worried about the kids in the room? If I fit a carbon monoxide alarm tomorrow will that pick up on too much smoke?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Buy a ‘H’ cowl

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

Just googled it. Thanks so much 💖🀗

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

BryanF wrote: »
    Buy a ‘H’ cowl

Whilst that might well work as a sticking plaster, why on earth ought a new build chimney be smoking the room out. It's not like it's new technology or anything

OP. Get a CO alarm in any case. You have a problem with the chimney and its not worth risking whatever a possibly partial solution might give you.

Heck, I'd have thought regs would have demanded a CO alarm where there is an open fire in a new build. Is there smoke alarms in the place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You have a new build with an open fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Have you checked the chimney for obstructions?

• Advertisement

It is a new extension with an open fire. Carbon monoxide alarm not gone in yet. No obstruction. It only smoked with the high winds of the storm fri and say. Was fine again sun. Single storey extension.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

zipee wrote: »
    It is a new extension with an open fire. Carbon monoxide alarm not gone in yet. No obstruction. It only smoked with the high winds of the storm fri and say. Was fine again sun. Single storey extension.

and chance of a pic??

usually down draughts are caused by localised obstructions that are higher than the chimney, such as near by buildings, or high trees / hedges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

mickdw wrote: »
    You have a new build with an open fire?

Wondering how he did this myself!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    and chance of a pic??

usually down draughts are caused by localised obstructions that are higher than the chimney, such as near by buildings, or high trees / hedges

Pic attached

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

zipee wrote: »
    Pic attached

yeah it definitely looks as though the new chimney cap doesnt go higher than the existing ridges... and its surrounded by at least 3.

while it may be reg compliant...... it should have been constructed higher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah it definitely looks as though the new chimney cap doesnt go higher than the existing ridges... and its surrounded by at least 3.

while it may be reg compliant...... it should have been constructed higher

+1
    chimney is WAY too low

Nice downpipe, where you buy it?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

+1
    chimney is WAY too low

+1. Me mam had the same problem, chimney was raised 4 foot and the problem disappeared. She'd have every cowl you could possibly have
    Nice downpipe, where you buy it?

:)

Advertisement