Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor aerial - can get Saorview but not Freeview

• 26-04-2019 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm in Donegal, and aerial on roof (which I believe is pointed to Limavady transmitter as I asked the fella when he changed it for us) receives both Saorview and Freeview no bother.

Have just put a Freeview telly in my Mum's room, but no cabling in there for roof aerial. I just got a cheap aerial of Amazon and we can get Saorview channels no bother, but no Freeview channels when I select "UK" on the tv. (Saorview channels all in the 800's as usual) Strangely, telly does say it finds 60 odd channels, but I can only find the Saorview channels.

I'm guessing it's because there is no clear view of the transmitter from room level? Is it possible (and worth trying) to manually tune any Freeview channels?

I know I should just phone and get a cable connected from the roof, but my Mum hasn't been very well, and she's a bit funny about anyone being in her room (so realistically - it's a no for getting a new cable in there)

As ever, I appreciate any thoughts. No offence taken if the answer is the roof cable, I was just wondering about if manual tuning was worth having a go at?

Thank you.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NVMKHPV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Actually, looking at the maps, we're much closer to Strabane transmitter than Limavady. Signal coverage according to map looks to be excellent here. Having said that, even though the new aerial is stuck onto the window, it's not facing Strabane..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I assume the Freeview signal isn't good enough where you've located the cheap aerial. Any way of splitting the cable from the existing roof aerial, via a distribution amplifier, to your Mum's room?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Most of the 60 odd channels it finds on the search is RTÉ NL's stupid lump of hidden services or blank carriers that won't generally show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Had you bought a proper aerial rather than a bit of plastic sold on lies you might have had more luck. 80 mile range is a lie. It depends on transmitter power amongst other things but at 80 miles I would not expect any indoor aerial to work even on a high power transmitter. Amplifiers on indoor aerials are a waste of time, money, and electricity, you can't amplify what is not there, just adds more noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

winston_1 wrote: »
    Had you bought a proper aerial rather than a bit of plastic sold on lies you might have had more luck. 80 mile range is a lie. It depends on transmitter power amongst other things but at 80 miles I would not expect any indoor aerial to work even on a high power transmitter. Amplifiers on indoor aerials are a waste of time, money, and electricity, you can't amplify what is not there, just adds more noise.

Very Helpful Winston. Now go back and read the thread from the start as to why the lady bought the indoor aerial again.

@ Kathleen. Where is the cable that is in the room where both are working coming from ? Did the installer run the cable into the attic or wire it into the main room through a wall ? 2 story or bungalow ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Thanks all.
    @ Kathleen. Where is the cable that is in the room where both are working coming from ? Did the installer run the cable into the attic or wire it into the main room through a wall ? 2 story or bungalow ?

We're in a bungalow and the cable goes into the attic and then into the living room inside the wall and connects to a wall socket.

I'm sure it's absolutely the case about the Freeview signal not being strong enough. Having had another look, the Strabane transmitter is a Freeview light transmitter, so the roof aerial must be seeing the Limavady transmitter.

To be honest, the Saorview reception is so good in the bedroom that I was just wondering about the Freeview channels. If we can't get them, no problem. Had it been a huge issue, I would have got a proper connection from the roof into Mum's room. I have a connection from the roof into mine no issues, but it did take a short visit to the room to put in the new socket in the wall and pull and connect the cable to it.

I asked mainly due to the extra channels showing during the scan (thank you @ byte) and seeing the option of manual tune. I manually tune channels on Sky so wondered about on Freeview.

Thanks again everyone for the help. I appreciate your thoughts.

• Advertisement

So given your reasoning in your post Kathleen the question now is are you willing to do it yourself ??????

Its quiet easy. Can talk you through it.

Most impaortant question is can you safely get into the attic ? Can you safely walk around it (i.e. is there boards in there that you can walk in that you wont fall through the plasterboard ceiling) ?

The cable from the aerial coming in from the aerial will be evident. If its mounted on the chimney outside it will be hanging down in the attic. Follow the cable downwards. It is probably going to a distribution or a splitter box. If you find a box (post the name or a picture of it).

Eitherway if you can identify that, then next part is junctioning that cable with either a cheap 2 euro splitter and then running a length of cable accross the attic space to the area above the bedroom or simply connecting a new cable in the attic to the existing splitter box.

You then need the lend of a drill with a drill bit as thick as a normal coax cable. You need to drill a small hole in the ceiling above the TV in the bedroom - the plasterboard in the ceiling is probably only an inch thick and easy to drill through. After drilling the hole, attach a length of coax cable and feed it into the attic. You can get a metal coat hanger and cut it with a scissors, straigthen the metal hanger out and tape the cable to the top of the metal hanger to push feed it into the attic. Then go to the attic and pull it through. Remove the hanger and tape and pull it down towards the splitter box/area where you will join the new cable with the existing one coming in. You then need to attach a coax connector at each end.

Too much ? Its probably a 30 minute job and about 20 quid in materials to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

kathleen37 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's absolutely the case about the Freeview signal not being strong enough. Having had another look, the Strabane transmitter is a Freeview light transmitter, so the roof aerial must be seeing the Limavady transmitter.
    Re: the piece in bold. Just to clarify that the Freeview Light transmitter in Strabane is called "Light" because it only transmits a reduced number of channels as opposed to Limavady which transmits all available Freeview channels. I dont think the issue would have any great bearing on the signal strength but probably more to do with the type, positioning and direction of your aerial.

Im in the twin towns area and get a great pic on both Saorview from local relay transmitter and Freeview from Strabane. Im using 2 rooftop aerials and believe it or not the the Saorview aerial which is pointing at almost 90 degrees away from Strabane is picking up the Freeview channels perfectly.

As pointed out by STB it is quite simple to run a cable from the attic to your mum's bedroom. Im not technically minded at all but I ran cables to 3 first floor bedrooms together with a phone line extension into the rooms and trust me, its not difficult.

Thank you, guys (I'm v near twin towns too!)

Thinking about it, @ STB , I think it would be easy (ish) to do. (Light and boards up there, and a fold down stair) Just drilling through the ceiling (there is actually a built in wardrobe I could aim for!!!) and bringing the cable down through there could indeed be a plan. Much easier than trying to put in a socket into the wall!

I must admit - I'm not going to be up to it at the moment (finished radiation treatment in Jan and still a few outstanding issues) but another couple of months I should be improved enough to give it a go. If you's don't mind, I'll come back then with some pics of what's up there and ask again then about getting right connections etc! (looking at the connection for my room should give me some clues) Just wondering if I'd need an amplifier as I'll be splitting the roof signal between 3 ports/tellies?

Thanks very much for your help!!!

kathleen37 wrote: »
    I must admit - I'm not going to be up to it at the moment (finished radiation treatment in Jan and still a few outstanding issues) but another couple of months I should be improved enough to give it a go. If you's don't mind, I'll come back then with some pics of what's up there and ask again then about getting right connections etc! (looking at the connection for my room should give me some clues) Just wondering if I'd need an amplifier as I'll be splitting the roof signal between 3 ports/tellies?

Thanks very much for your help!!!

Good for you.

There may already be an amplifier up there. If you follow the cable that is dropping down from the roof in the attic you should be able to see where it going to. If it is already going to a small distribution amp, you may not need to buy one. (if it is going directly to the TV in the main room, you will have to snip the coax cable at the lowest point on the floor and junction it with either a small amp or just a splitter). You'll only know when you look.

Likely simple household tools you will need either way are a scissors and some masking tape.

The other likely parts per room is.

A small roll of Satellite Cable (sat cable is fine as it is the simpler than trying to fit coax connectors to coax cable)

https://www.freetv.ie/satellite-cable-20m/ (60ft which you can cut to desired length) - €8.

4 F Connectors (these screw on to the end of the satellite cable - The sat cable when cut (a scissors will be fine for this) should look like this before you hand screw them on.

https://www.freetv.ie/shotgun-mini-f-connectors/ €1.12

2 Coax to F Connectors. They screw on to the FConnectors to connect to the back of the TV. One per TV connection.

https://www.freetv.ie/coaxial-male-to-f-connector-adaptor-1s/ €1.10

If there is no amplifier in the attic you can use one of these (it will feed up to 4 rooms). Look before you buy as there may be one up there.

https://www.freetv.ie/4-way-tv-amplifier-with-bypass/ €24

The amp setup would be, follow main cable coming down from roof into attic to amp (to port labelled UHF). All other cable connections are outputs to individual rooms. The amp requires a power source ( so all your cable cutting and junctioning should be done near this power point).

Be careful that there are no electrical cables running along attic floor when drilling up from ceiling into attic.

That's really excellent, @ STB - thanks so much for your help!

I'll be back with any questions when I'm a bit better.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    Very Helpful Winston. Now go back and read the thread from the start as to why the lady bought the indoor aerial again.

Yes she bought it because there was no cabling in the room from the roof aerial, and hoped it would work.

It didn't of course. Indoor aerials rarely work in areas where roof aerials are required, especially when they are bits of plastic.

STB. wrote: »
    Good for you.

There may already be an amplifier up there. If you follow the cable that is dropping down from the roof in the attic you should be able to see where it going to. If it is already going to a small distribution amp, you may not need to buy one. (if it is going directly to the TV in the main room, you will have to snip the coax cable at the lowest point on the floor and junction it with either a small amp or just a splitter). You'll only know when you look.

Likely simple household tools you will need either way are a scissors and some masking tape.

The other likely parts per room is.

A small roll of Satellite Cable (sat cable is fine as it is the simpler than trying to fit coax connectors to coax cable)

https://www.freetv.ie/satellite-cable-20m/ (60ft which you can cut to desired length) - €8.

4 F Connectors (these screw on to the end of the satellite cable - The sat cable when cut (a scissors will be fine for this) should look like this before you hand screw them on.

https://www.freetv.ie/shotgun-mini-f-connectors/ €1.12

2 Coax to F Connectors. They screw on to the FConnectors to connect to the back of the TV. One per TV connection.

https://www.freetv.ie/coaxial-male-to-f-connector-adaptor-1s/ €1.10

If there is no amplifier in the attic you can use one of these (it will feed up to 4 rooms). Look before you buy as there may be one up there.

https://www.freetv.ie/4-way-tv-amplifier-with-bypass/ €24

The amp setup would be, follow main cable coming down from roof into attic to amp (to port labelled UHF). All other cable connections are outputs to individual rooms. The amp requires a power source ( so all your cable cutting and junctioning should be done near this power point).

Be careful that there are no electrical cables running along attic floor when drilling up from ceiling into attic.

Advising the use of an amplifier when you have no idea of the signal levels is fraught with danger of overloading.

Advising the use of an amplifier when you have no idea of the signal levels is fraught with danger of overloading.

I advised on a 6dB amp IF there wasn't one already there.

Signal loss from splitting passively would result in a 4-6dB for 3 ports.

It's okay I know what I am talking about.
    Yes she bought it because there was no cabling in the room from the roof aerial, and hoped it would work.

It didn't of course. Indoor aerials rarely work in areas where roof aerials are required, especially when they are bits of plastic.

I am 60k from Mt Leinster at a very low ASL. I have a Funke 5v phantom powered UHF aerial that works just fine. Its made of bits of plastic. There are plenty of things that defy what I was taught when studying Telecommunications a long long time ago .

I specifically bought a cheap aerial as we used to have signal problems before the digital switch over so I wasn't expecting much.

Having said that, it's picking up all the Saorview channels absolutely excellently, so happy enough till I'm able to get up in the loft.

Thanks again everyone.

Advertisement