Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Embarrassed at mistake 1 month into new job

Options
  • 26-04-2019 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I recently started a new job in the UK in a big hospital, I was thrilled at getting the job, I went back to college to study after working in an office doing something I hated for 4 years.

But I made a huge mistake the other day and I was called out on it by someone, I apologised profusely but I am absolutely mortified now and am dreading going back onto that ward now.

Essentially, I work as an allied healthcare professional (physio, speech and language therapist, etc). I was on holiday for 10 days and came back to work just after Easter, my manager is quite demanding, I have a lot of patients to see each day and I was really feeling the pressure coming back after my holiday. I had a lot to get through on day 1. So I went to see a patient that I had reviewed 3 or 4 times previously and each time I had asked the nurses to do something for me, it was part of their job and affecting the patients care, and each time I came back it wasn't done. When I reviewed this patient I was really frustrated that it still wasn't done as it was limiting what I could do with the patient. I left a note in the medical notes containing "X still wasn't done despite a number of requests", I know I shouldn't have worded it like that and I Really do not want to make excuses.

But then yesterday one of the nurse managers came up to me and basically said that a student nurse had got really upset over my note and that I had written it in a disrespectful, and derogatory way and that she should report me to my manager (she didn't actually confirm if she would). I apologised profusely and tried to say that I really hadn't meant it that way, that I had just been frustrated on the day but I should never had written it and it would never happen again. Reading back over my note now I am mortified, I wrote it in the heat of the moment and didn't even know if it would be read.

I didn't have to go on that ward today but I'm already dreading monday. I know I'm potentially overthinking it but I am petrified of her reporting it to my manager, just a month into my new job that I love so much.

I don't know if anyone can offer any advice or reassurance

Advertisement