Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New LG49UK6400PLF. Free channels and sky options?

• 26-04-2019 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi, purchased above TV today. Happy with it as for kitchen and have Netflix, YouTube and amazon prime and will use fire stick and chrome cast too

Have 2 questions please.

1. I have it wall mounted and have no room for an extra box etc.. Or to run a cable. Do I have any option to watch sky on this TV? My main TV has a sky q box. Don't mind paying sky for extra room but is my only option another box?

2. I haven't been able to download any TV channels. I thought with saorview I'd have the basic channels but again doesn't his need to be wired to a box? Does this TV not have it in built?

Would be nice to have the above two options but could live with the current set up. As bored main issue is I can't add another box or cable so need to do wireless if possible (I don't think it is)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

frogstar wrote: »
    2. I haven't been able to download any TV channels. I thought with saorview I'd have the basic channels but again doesn't his need to be wired to a box? Does this TV not have it in built?

It has Saorview built in but requires an aerial connected to pick up the signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

1. I have it wall mounted and have no room for an extra box etc.. Or to run a cable. Do I have any option to watch sky on this TV? My main TV has a sky q box. Don't mind paying sky for extra room but is my only option another box?

Yes I believe so, a SkyQ mini-box, connected via HDMI. The mini-box connects wirelessly to the main SkyQ receiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

If connected to a sky dish (not sure about sky q think the LNB is different) and aerial you can receive all the free to air channels. So RTE, Virgin Media and the UK BBC's ITV's. You'll get the free to air full list on line.

I have a similar LG in my kitchen with the above set up. I set mine up as a free view tv and set my location to UK. It's not the full free to air list but it's so handy to use the pre installed list which update automatically too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Have 2 questions please.

Sky is a pay TV provider. They have the channels assembled in a predetermined way. You pay for it.

The LG has a built in satellite tuner and so can pick up the Free satellite channels. It also has Freesat software on that model which is a software display of the free channels on the Freesat Platform. You need to tell your TV you are in NI and use a NI postal address in the setup menu. This may have unintended consequences for Smart TV functionality (The Cush you might confirm).

It means you would only need to run a satellite cable to avoid having another box, but it wont have the same channels your Sky box has or the same menu like system. You will also need to change the LNB (the thing that points at your dish to a Hybrid Sky LNB). Thats the only way you can avoid another box.

I haven't been able to download any TV channels. I thought with saorview I'd have the basic channels but again doesn't his need to be wired to a box? Does this TV not have it in built?

Thanks

Saorview can be used on this TV, but you need to connect an aerial to the TV. There is no built in aerial on any TV.

Advertisement