Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil service - career break pension implications

• 26-04-2019 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I joined the civil service in 2004. I am considering taking a career break. However a friend (public sector worker) mentioned that if I take a career break of longer than 26 weeks then I will be placed on the post 2013 pension scheme when I return. I obviously would not want this to happen. I’m just wondering if anyone knows if this is true? I don’t want to approach my HR about this as I don’t want them to know I’m considering the career break yet. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

That is nonsense. In the CS you must take a minimum of 6 months leave. It is considered unpaid leave, so the only consequence to your pension is contributions to the superannuation scheme. There was a circular that specifically said that you would not become a member of the Single Scheme unless you were already in it prior to your career break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Thank for the reply. I had a feeling what I was told was wrong as if it was true it would in effect stop most pre 2013 staff from taking career breaks. I’m sure my friend will be delighted too.

Advertisement