Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage requirements when hiring a family member

Options
  • 27-04-2019 6:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Perhaps I'm just not googling the right thing but I can't find a straight answer to my query. I'm currently researching requirements for starting a new business for some supplemental income in my spare time. I'm probably going to need some help on occasion and I was thinking I could legally hire my unemployed mother just to assist the odd time when required (I think she'd be grateful to be asked for help).

I saw a snippet on the revenue site which specifically said you do not need to pay family members minimum wage. I also see that zero hour contracts are mostly banned now. So how would an agreement with a relative / family member work? Can I just pay them whatever I want as long as we agree on a number? Or is there more legal requirements than this?

Considering this is only going to be a thing I'm doing in my spare time I obviously can't afford to pay an employee very much and I don't want to go breaking any laws - I'd like to keep everything above board.

Would I be better not hiring her as an employee and implementing another arrangement instead?

Any tips / information / links would be appreciated..

I will of course be hiring an accountant, seeking advice from local Enterprise board, etc.. before making any decisions.. I just want to make sure I have all the information I need so I can approach this decision with a well informed mind.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would honestly concentrate on sorting out your business first. Make whatever arrangements you need. If it makes sense to hire your mother to do some things (plenty pitfalls here, but I'm sure you've thought about that) then get it sorted out. There are no big barriers to doing what you want to do over and above employing anybody else. It might make sense to just get her to invoice you if it is very occasional. But deal with this when you come to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I would honestly concentrate on sorting out your business first. Make whatever arrangements you need. If it makes sense to hire your mother to do some things (plenty pitfalls here, but I'm sure you've thought about that) then get it sorted out. There are no big barriers to doing what you want to do over and above employing anybody else. It might make sense to just get her to invoice you if it is very occasional. But deal with this when you come to it.

It was more of a 'out of curiosity' question, but I do appreciate the advice, thank you :-) I'm currently out of the country so I've been jotting down notes and musings to act on when I'm back and this is just something that came to mind as a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If your mother is getting the dole then you hiring her for some work could have a impact on that.

Advertisement