Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - Sandymount equivalent?

Options
  • 27-04-2019 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

We are contemplating moving to Cork as we can't afford to buy a house where we currently rent in Sandymount Dublin. We absolutely love this area - village feel, sense of community (tonnes of family events organised throughout the year), beautiful period properties, lovely pubs, lots of amenities and a 30 minute walk to the city centre.

My question is - is there any equivalent places in Cork?

I've been to Douglas but I'm afraid I couldn't really see what the appeal is - just seemed to be lots of shopping centres. Blackrock seems nice but I couldn't see a park/playground for children or figure out where the centre/focal point of community life would be. And Ballincollig seems brilliant with loads of amenities, if quite far out, but I've only been once.

Am I missing any other areas? We don't want a rural setting - we love cities and being able to walk to things.

Our budget would be approx 500k. Would consider borrowing more if necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Cork simply doesn’t have as many assimilated villages as Dublin has. The main ones are Douglas, blackrock and blackpool.

Glanmire and Ballincollig will technically be part of the city soon, but are a bit out.

Parks and playgrounds can be hard to come by within walking distance of anywhere.

Ballinlough may fit the bill, doesn’t have a huge amount of amenities like shops etc but is an old near city suburb with park space and walkable to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

How about St Luke's?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Apart from the playground/park bit, I think it sounds like you want to live in St. Luke's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Santa Lucia

I think Blackrock village has a lot of potential. Density is high and should be higher as Eden develops further. Walk, bike or bus to city. There are plans for a playground in front of Ursulines building and also Marina park is scheduled to be completed and playgrounds developed west of the pairc in old show grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

When we moved to Cork we settled in Ballinlough. To my mind, the vague area encompassing Ballinlough, Ballintemple, Blackrock, and Beaumont is the closest thing in Cork to the sort of scene you describe. There are parks, good neighbours, community spirit, independent shops/cafes/bakeries, pubs, etc. Ballinlough is an inner suburb so it is 30-45 min walk from city centre, depending on which end of Ballinlough you're in and how fast you walk. There is a bus service every 15 mins weekdays and 30 mins at weekend. My quality of life is immeasurably better than when we lived in Dublin. No regrets whatsoever. Now if only I could afford a weekend house on Sheep's Head...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

St Lukes. Loved the village vibe when I lived there a few years ago. Good bus connection, easy walk to the city centre (less easy on the way back up). Small, only one or two pubs, but a few nice shops and places to eat. Amazing views. Housing stock is pretty mixed, it ranges from huge manses to pokey two-bed cottages, so there's a good range of prices. Has an old church used as a concert venue during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I would say Blackrock ticks most of your boxes. There's no playground, so you'd need to do a short drive to get to one, but there's the marina, the railway line and the castle walk. They're fundraising for a playground at the moment. Not sure how far along they are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Blackrock focal point is the pier / marina, or also at the Beaumont Quarry. That's where the family events take place.

There are 2 playgrounds planned for the area... used to be 3 when I was a kid, but they've been taken down over the years.

First playground planned is a small one for younger kids (under 12's), on that acre of grass by the pier, in front of the Ursuline convent. That's the one being fundraised for by the community. Should be in place in the next 2 years I think they are hoping.

The other is a larger one, planned for Marina Park along the marina walk (between Pairc Ui Caoimhe and the pier). This is supposed to be part of a larger park, designed to mimic Fitzgerald's Park, to bookend the city. It's probably a decade away. There's also a light rail planned for that part of the city, god knows when they'll get the money for that together.

Blackrock (proper) is lovely for sure. But with planning permission sought the other day for a further 274 apartments at the old Ursuline Convent, the traffic situation isn't going to get any better, and pigs will fly long before there is a QBC along the Blackrock Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Douglas is probably the assimilated town with the best shopping & restaurants, but traffic can be bad as the junctions where the roads pass under the South Ring road are major bottlenecks. It's a bit lacking in character too, IMO.

I love Blackrock, gorgeous part of town, great walks. I'd imagine it'd be fairly expensive (but probably not compared to Dublin!)

Most of the areas with the most 'character' are on the North inner side of the city. Sunday's Well, Wellington Road, St. Lukes especially. Sunday's Well isn't great for facilities (other than you're very near Fitzgerald's Park!) There is a cluster of pubs / shops there, some lovely old houses to buy, great views of the city from many of them. You even have the Live at St. Lukes music events on occasion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Similar boat - living near Dún Laoghaire, looking at Tivoli / Blackrock / Sundays Well / St Lukes. Equivalent period houses there for a third of Dublin prices.
    Mortgage is the issue - applying with proof of job in Dublin but drawing it down for a place 250km away may raise a red flag!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Similar boat - living near Dún Laoghaire, looking at Tivoli / Blackrock / Sundays Well / St Lukes. Equivalent period houses there for a third of Dublin prices.
    Mortgage is the issue - applying with proof of job in Dublin but drawing it down for a place 250km away may raise a red flag!

Not sure about Tivoli - it's likely to see massive development, but probably not for ~20 years. Blackrock is great, as mentioned. Sunday's Well is really nice (some really quaint little side-roads like Buxton Hill in the area, plus you're close to Fitzgerald Park), though not a huge amount of shop/restaurant options. Likewise St. Lukes and Wellington Road, also check out Gardiner's Hill if looking in the area.

who_me wrote: »
    Not sure about Tivoli - it's likely to see massive development, but probably not for ~20 years. Blackrock is great, as mentioned. Sunday's Well is really nice (some really quaint little side-roads like Buxton Hill in the area, plus you're close to Fitzgerald Park), though not a huge amount of shop/restaurant options. Likewise St. Lukes and Wellington Road, also check out Gardiner's Hill if looking in the area.

All valid points and in train. Sundays Well is dated to be fair. I grew up in Bishopstown so I know the area. Wouldn't have ever been around Blackrock, Tivoli, St Lukes though. Blackrock possibly the 'yuppiest'?! There's a wine bar (wow) and a yoga studio :cool:
    We'll take what we can get I suppose. Who knows what next decade will bring if there is the much vaunted planned population increase to take the pressure off Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭dwasol

Gurranabraher is ideal, walking distance to the city, independent shops and pubs kept by the same owners for generations.
    There are tremendous allotments so that you can grow your own veggies right in the heart of the city. At least 4 primary schools within walking distance (both public and private) This area is undergoing a revolutionary urban regeneration with both period dwellings and with quaint 1950s style housing which are being refurbished tastefully by young professionals who want to have a strong sense of community and have the city nearby. I personally find this area to be the home I have always wanted. My children can walk to St. Joe's and will go to the secondary school situated with a river view beside it. The area represents the multicultural Ireland in which we now live. There are community festivals in winter and summertime.

We are blessed to have found our forever home in Cork City

Hi folks, so went to view a place in Blackrock Road on Friday - not sure we'll place a bid, price didn't feel right for what it was for us, anyway, the general area as per the thrust of this thread, did appeal in so far as moving from SoCoDu and our desire for urban hipster village pretensiousness :) .
    Anyway - what about Ballinlough? Some nice period terraced houses for sale in that areas as well and it seems to be the same general neighbourhood as Blackrock, near the Marina, possibly walkable to town etc?

Anyway - what about Ballinlough? Some nice period terraced houses for sale in that areas as well and it seems to be the same general neighbourhood as Blackrock, near the Marina, possibly walkable to town etc?

Yeah, Ballinlough was the sweet spot for us. See my response to OP on first page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hi folks, so went to view a place in Blackrock Road on Friday - not sure we'll place a bid, price didn't feel right for what it was for us, anyway, the general area as per the thrust of this thread, did appeal in so far as moving from SoCoDu and our desire for urban hipster village pretensiousness :) .

Ballinlough is lovely, great area.

Thanks folks! Looking at google maps there, only a few minutes more of a walk into town than Blackrock road..And Ballinlough Park looks decent. Any plans afoot locally for any development in the area? As younger ppl move in etc? What's the Orchard like, for example?

cantalach wrote: »
    When we moved to Cork we settled in Ballinlough. To my mind, the vague area encompassing Ballinlough, Ballintemple, Blackrock, and Beaumont is the closest thing in Cork to the sort of scene you describe. There are parks, good neighbours, community spirit, independent shops/cafes/bakeries, pubs, etc. Ballinlough is an inner suburb so it is 30-45 min walk from city centre, depending on which end of Ballinlough you're in and how fast you walk. There is a bus service every 15 mins weekdays and 30 mins at weekend. My quality of life is immeasurably better than when we lived in Dublin. No regrets whatsoever. Now if only I could afford a weekend house on Sheep's Head...

Sound !

• Advertisement

Thanks folks! Looking at google maps there, only a few minutes more of a walk into town than Blackrock road..And Ballinlough Park looks decent. Any plans afoot locally for any development in the area? As younger ppl move in etc? What's the Orchard like, for example?

Lot of families moving to the area as the elderly residents die off. In many cases, the older people are the original owners of the house going back to the '50s. So you tend to see a lot of rennovation and modernisation going on. We were a case in point having bought this house from the estate of a couple who died within 12 months of each other.

Re new development, there are no green field sites afaik and not much brown field space either, at least not for major projects. One of the few is a big new development of ultra-modern but overpriced houses that are under construction in an old Eircom site next to Cork Con. They've called the development "Aylesbury", presumably so that residents can pretend they live in Dublin.

Re the Orchard, I'm a non-drinker but on the 3-4 tines a year that herself and myself do pop out for a drink that's where we go rather than the Silver Quay which is much closer to us. We ways find it a welcoming kind of place.

cantalach wrote: »
    Lot of families moving to the area as the elderly residents die off. In many cases, the older people are the original owners of the house going back to the '50s. So you tend to see a lot of rennovation and modernisation going on. We were a case in point having bought this house from the estate of a couple who died within 12 months of each other.

Re new development, there are no green field sites afaik and not much brown field space either, at least not for major projects. One of the few is a big new development of ultra-modern but overpriced houses that are under construction in an old Eircom site next to Cork Con. They've called the development "Aylesbury", presumably so that residents can pretend they live in Dublin.

Re the Orchard, I'm a non-drinker but on the 3-4 tines a year that herself and myself do pop out for a drink that's where we go rather than the Silver Quay which is much closer to us. We ways find it a welcoming kind of place.

Mate of mine's an engineer - another's an architect - they don't know each other but met mutually through me for the first time last week. Funny thing is they both had the same theory - NEVER buy a house that has a British Home Counties sounding name or anything in a development ending in '-court', '-wood(s)', '-dale', '-hall', '-oaks' as they definitely went up in the Celtic Tiger and are probably built of cardboard and pyrite.

Mate of mine's an engineer - another's an architect - they don't know each other but met mutually through me for the first time last week. Funny thing is they both had the same theory - NEVER buy a house that has a British Home Counties sounding name or anything in a development ending in '-court', '-wood(s)', '-dale', '-hall', '-oaks' as they definitely went up in the Celtic Tiger and are probably built of cardboard and pyrite.

So this is a shiny new development still under construction, but I take your point. I don't know how they've been allowed to put that name on it actually. If I'm not mistaken, ministerial guidelines were given to local authorities 10-15 years ago that the names on developments had to either sound Irish (ideally be in Irish) or else have some historical connection or geographic relevance to the location. And in the most part, local authorities did stamp out this type of BS. The only vague justification for the name is that it is next to a much older development named Shrewsbury...maybe the Cork City Council planners like Monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Last I heard they were knocking Shrewsbury Downs and putting in a hotel...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Owlet wrote: »
    We are contemplating moving to Cork as we can't afford to buy a house where we currently rent in Sandymount Dublin. We absolutely love this area - village feel, sense of community (tonnes of family events organised throughout the year), beautiful period properties, lovely pubs, lots of amenities and a 30 minute walk to the city centre.

My question is - is there any equivalent places in Cork?

I've been to Douglas but I'm afraid I couldn't really see what the appeal is - just seemed to be lots of shopping centres. Blackrock seems nice but I couldn't see a park/playground for children or figure out where the centre/focal point of community life would be. And Ballincollig seems brilliant with loads of amenities, if quite far out, but I've only been once.

Am I missing any other areas? We don't want a rural setting - we love cities and being able to walk to things.

Our budget would be approx 500k. Would consider borrowing more if necessary.

mahon is the centre of blackrock a lovely place especially at night-my friend walter mitty had 500k for a house aswell you should have a chat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Old parts of Bishoptown is great ( Uam Var/ Rossa Avenue/ Melbourne) out in the sticks Cloughduv village has a thriving community/ GAA,/ school etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Yeah I love Ballinlough. I live nearby and it's one of my favourite places to run through. Good call on Bishopstown above too.

The place that actually looks the most like Sandymount imo is Blarney. But it's a bit out, and not as posh (don't mean that in a derogatory sense btw - I love Sandymount too).

Ballincollig would be ideal if you're happy with being that bit out. It's Cork so nowhere is that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

When I was growing up Gurranabraher was always known as dodgy area, has that changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

Yeah I love Ballinlough. I live nearby and it's one of my favourite places to run through. Good call on Bishopstown above too.

The place that actually looks the most like Sandymount imo is Blarney. But it's a bit out, and not as posh (don't mean that in a derogatory sense btw - I love Sandymount too).

Ballincollig would be ideal if you're happy with being that bit out. It's Cork so nowhere is that far.

Comparing Ballincollig to Sandymount is a bit of a stretch...

I think Tallaght would be a better comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Still can't tell if some people are on a wind up or genuinely think some of the names here are close/similar to Sandymount.

Douglas, Ballinlough and Blackrock. No where else comes even close to Sandymount. At a push Model Farm Road near Bishopstown but that is about it. The far end of Ballincollig could be mentioned but far out.

Advertisement