Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handlebar bag recommendations

Options
  • 27-04-2019 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Folk, any recommendations for a reasonably priced handlebar bag. Hoping to do longer spins once the Summer is here, and I'd like a way to carry snacks, coins, keys etc etc, and I like the idea of a handlebar bag.

Also why is cycling related gear so expensive...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Not cheap, sorry. But well made and will last for years:

https://www.evanscycles.com/ortlieb-ultimate6-classic-bar-bag-EV345339

May be cheaper elsewhere.

Some of the cheaper ones tend to sag a lot if well loaded. Mrs. Zeno has a small bar bag she got in Decathlon which is fine for purse, keys and phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cletus wrote: »
    ... Hoping to do longer spins once the Summer is here...
    Just bear in mind that, if you are using a bar mounted front light for long rides, it might not be compatible with a bar bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have the ortlieb one linked above. They are expensive but fully waterproof. You cannot lock the bag itself, only able to lock the bag to the bike mount itself. That for me is a big negative for an expensive bag. If you want to pop into a cafe you have to take the bag with you.

It is a very handy bag to flip open and pull out maps, keys, wallet, etc while still on the bike.

As mentioned above the bar bag will block any light unless you put it on the handlebar end or on the brake clip above the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

cletus wrote: »
    Folk, any recommendations for a reasonably priced handlebar bag. Hoping to do longer spins once the Summer is here, and I'd like a way to carry snacks, coins, keys etc etc, and I like the idea of a handlebar bag.

Also why is cycling related gear so expensive...

If I were you, I wouldn't get a handlebar bag... they're heavy enough, you have to commit to have a mount of some sort always on your bar and they could mess with your steering too.
    I'd get one of those top tube bags, if I had to stay out for over 200 km...
    Alternatively, you could use your rear pockets and stop in petrol stations for snacks...

These type of bags in my opininon are a better buy and you could stick in gels, snacks, keys and even a battery pack. Loads of waterproof ones out there and you can take it off in seconds...

restrap-top-tube-bag.jpg?itok=6cPSGG7Q

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

As above I think handlebar bags are grand for touring but if you're just looking to carry a small bit of food and some bits and bobs beyond the usual tools I'd opt for a bigger saddle bag or something I can sling to the frame. It looks nicer if nothing else and will probably cost less. When I go out for a longer spin and I'm unsure of the weather I just pop my phone into a sandwich bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks for the responses folks. I have a small saddle bag, and a tri bag on the frame, but I might look at bigger versions of either or both, also the possibility of an 'internal' frame bag.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

I have a medium sized Restrap frame bag. Ideal for packing a gilet and storing some food & essentials. And all can be accessed while riding.

Advertisement