Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cross with Belclare.

• 27-04-2019 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Best ewes to put with a Belclare ram, with the intention to keep the resulting ewe lambs for breeding ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

If you get the biggest belclare ram you can find you’ll get a good replacement off any ewe you put them with including horned ewes. But you need a big one. I’ve really nice belclare mules that lambed this year as lambs and they are great little mothers with plenty of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Farm365

Thinking of introducing Belclare here too to improve lambing %. What would belclare be like on a Cheviot ewe?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

If you get the biggest belclare ram you can find you’ll get a good replacement off any ewe you put them with including horned ewes. But you need a big one. I’ve really nice belclare mules that lambed this year as lambs and they are great little mothers with plenty of milk.

Thanks. Would imagine the Belclare mules would be a bit wilder than the common Belclare. With the BFL would ram lambs be hard finished ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Suffolk ewes make a nice cross. Pucks of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭OneMan37

Thanks. Suffolks are prob the way I'll go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement