Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Access to attic conversion

• 27-04-2019 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking to convert an attic. I want to stick the kids up into the space and move all their toys up into the room. The difficulty is how do I put in access.

The house in bugalow and the attic space is huge on one section.

Just wondering what options are available for access, if putting in a standard stairs I dont see where I could put it without huge changes. I seen before spiral stairs, do these still meet regs?

Any other options?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Will the kids be sleeping up there or just using it as a play room?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I am looking to convert an attic. I want to stick the kids up into the space and move all their toys up into the room. The difficulty is how do I put in access.

The house in bugalow and the attic space is huge on one section.

Just wondering what options are available for access, if putting in a standard stairs I dont see where I could put it without huge changes. I seen before spiral stairs, do these still meet regs?

Any other options?

There are spiral stairs that meet regulation, but they will be bigger than you think.... Picture a circle about 1.8m in diameter.

If it's just a mess area to be used infrequently, you might be able to do singing non reg compliant. But as above, if its technically a "habitable" space you really should be installing a compliant stairs.

Do you have a copy of the plans?
    If so maybe take a pic and pm me, I'll have a look for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

kceire wrote: »
    Will the kids be sleeping up there or just using it as a play room?

Plan is kids to use as play area and sleep area

sydthebeat wrote: »

Do you have a copy of the plans?
    If so maybe take a pic and pm me, I'll have a look for you.

I have no plans done up yet for conversion, I had plans from the last extension which was done on house, buried somewhere in laptop....

I going to do a rough layout later and will post....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Plan is kids to use as play area and sleep area

Ok, sleep area changes the ball game completely.
    You need a full compliant access stairs to comply with TGD Part K and also means of escape from the new attic room.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Ok, sleep area changes the ball game completely.
    You need a full compliant access stairs to comply with TGD Part K and also means of escape from the new attic room.

https://ie.fontanotshop.com/treads-kits-wall-cantilevered-staircase.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw-4_mBRBuEiwA5xnFIOLwMxn50pdporLeLGqDpugYOtUjC1vOG767NvkDsAJ795G0ihFYGhoCCTYQAvD_BwE

Floating stairs probably not covered?

I have attached image of house. Sorry you can't see sizes but gives idea of layout

The problem is I don't know where to put the stairs as you can see. I have drew a little square to show current access which is a tiny opening in a bathroom. This is the main downstairs bathroom so could not be removed.

The Red A is to show where the room would have to stop as that is the water tanks etc are installed around that. The rooms sprayed in blue hold the central heating, immersion tank etc so they are out as well.

The squiggle line in red is a wall which we plan to take out
    The squiggle line in purple is a wall already gone

Sorry a bit clumsy but might give enough of idea

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Are the two doors to the left of the purple line still in existence?

You could put a stair along the wall where the top door is... Pretty much starting where the letter A is

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Are the two doors to the left of the purple line still in existence?

You could put a stair along the wall where the top door is... Pretty much starting where the letter A is

The second door at the A is blocked off.....

So you have 4ft wall down to the new entrance to the kitchen(going South on the map)
    Then a 8ft wall to the door going West if you know what I mean, it is marked as a single door but it was converted to double
    The width of the hall is just over 7ft

• Advertisement

Small change in plans, we have decided just to use as storage space/play room. Nobody sleeping in it. What are the stairs requirements then?

Advertisement