Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opportunities for Law Graduates

Options
  • 27-04-2019 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi all, I'm a recent graduate in Law from Maynooth University in Ireland. I've completed 4 FE1's with the Law society of Ireland. I've applied for internships and have had two interviews but unfortunately they didn't work out.
    I'm finding it very difficult to get employment as there are very little firms taking on Interns.
    Has any former Law Graduates found this problem as my friends from other courses seemed to gain employment quite quickly.
    If so, did you gain employment in another sector and how so ?
    or
    What way did you approach getting hired by a Legal Group or Practice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

I would have said that most firms are looking for trainees at the moment, even small firms. Do you have any legal or other relevant work experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 13545327

randomrb wrote: »
    I would have said that most firms are looking for trainees at the moment, even small firms. Do you have any legal or other relevant work experience?

Hi my work experience is limited as I've only completed a week with a firm in the summer of 2015 and most job applications require atleast 1 - 2 years experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Have you considered finishing the FE1s, getting a traineeship and qualifying? Or when you say it's hard to get an internship, do you mean a training contract?

Have you considered finishing the FE1s, getting a traineeship and qualifying? Or when you say it's hard to get an internship, do you mean a training contract?

Yes I have considered finishing tge FE1s, this is my goal.
    When I say internship I mean firms taking on legal interns. I've ever volunteered to work in some places and went door to door with my CV.
    Everyother position such as legal executive or paralegal requires experience which I'm lacking atm

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭randomrb

Keep an eye on the law society legal vacancies page there is always ads up for legal trainees;
    https://www.lawsociety.ie/legalvacancies/viewjobs/?filters=&location=All&category=15&area=All&contract=&employer=&part=

• Advertisement

Hi thanks all for your help. Can anyone answer me this? How is one supposed to gain experience required for a role when people wont give you the experience in the first place ? It's a bit of a catch 22

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I never found internships that hard to come by and if you did well there was usually a nod in the direction of look me up down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

13545327 wrote: »
    Hi thanks all for your help. Can anyone answer me this? How is one supposed to gain experience required for a role when people wont give you the experience in the first place ? It's a bit of a catch 22

Work experience is not a pre-requisite for summer internships (At least not in the larger firms).

You might want to get someone to look at your CV just to make sure it's put together right or discuss how you're applying (i.e. are you going through the right channels).

The Irish legal market is very hot at the moment (Intakes and salaries at record highs), so you really shouldn't have that much of a problem getting an internship, or even a traineeship. Have you been applying to the larger firms?

Advertisement