Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

screen with image of person walking on it on O Connell Street

Options
  • 27-04-2019 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

This may seem like a strange one but does anyone remember a black screen that used to be on the middle of O Connell Street with the image of a person walking on it. I think it was then moved to Parnell Square. The person walking on it had a very "calming" effect when you looked at it. It was one of those black screens similar to the ones that you see near roadworks and the image was on it in electric

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Yes. It's outside the Hugh Lane gallery. Parnell Square. Still going strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Yes. It's outside the Hugh Lane gallery. Parnell Square. Still going strong.

That's good to know. I used to find it very therapeutic to look at while waiting at the bus stop. Must go up and check it out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think its a great piece, you could stare at it for minutes on end. I do wish it was in an area where there is lots of busy pedestrian footfall so it would provide a contrast. It'd be better placed in the middle of Henry St imo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Julian Opie is the artist (I think).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Weren't there a few of these at one time as part of a temporary exhibit and they just kept the one outside Hugh Lane as a permanent one? I have a vague recollection that there was one on O'Connell Street.

ETA: nevermind, I just clicked on one of the above links that says it was on OCS in 2008 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

An artwork by Julian Opie permanently installed outside the Hugh Lane Gallery in Dublin. Title: Suzanne Walking in Leather Skirt, 2006. The piece was originally shown with several others on O'Connell Street and acquired by the museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

miamee wrote: »
    Weren't there a few of these at one time as part of a temporary exhibit and they just kept the one outside Hugh Lane as a permanent one? I have a vague recollection that there was one on O'Connell Street.

ETA: nevermind, I just clicked on one of the above links that says it was on OCS in 2008 :)

yeah there was 2 or maybe 3 of them on OCS for about a year. We also had the mad hatter/hare statues for a while on OCS, one of them is now up in the Royal Hospital and theres another few outside the Point.

I dont know were these temporary exhibitions of art in public spaces a celtic tiger thing as we havent had anything similar since, I wish we did have more exhibitions like these and then when its over move the works to various parks in the suburbs.

One clever piece of public art I came across years back in London was Monica Bonvincinis mirrored public toilet. It had one way glass so you could sit on the toilet and see everything out on the street whereas people on the street couldnt see in but women would stop to adjust their hair/make up in the mirrors

872eae60450b5dd2f90f2f3d463c6acc.jpg

We've a total lack of public toilets in Dublin, one of those would be a great feature

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd never use that toilet. I'd be too worried that it's part of a TV prank show and that the mirror walls would just fall down exposing me to the world whilst I'm in the middle of a shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'd never use that toilet. I'd be too worried that it's part of a TV prank show and that the mirror walls would just fall down exposing me to the world whilst I'm in the middle of a sh.

if there was no tv show you can be sure young scumbags would just smash it while you are mid dump. Or there will be some flaw where a camera flash makes it see through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Lovely Paris has the right idea, you can phiss out in public while offering a cheery wave to the boats and watching the river flow by.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/world/europe/paris-urinal.html
    https://www.france24.com/en/20180827-france-paris-public-urinal-toilet-vandalised-feminist-sexism-femen

51UurJu.png

Vendors got tired of many new vagrants splashing their shop doorways, but now the femmminists have started smashing them, ah sure ye can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Were there multiple displays as part of this installation?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mr.S wrote: »
    imme wrote: »
    Were there multiple displays as part of this installation?

Yes, according to the site linked by Mr.S above, there were 5 of them displayed on O'Connell Street and Parnell Square in 2008 to celebrate the centenary of the Hugh Lane Gallery.
    This animated LED work by Julian Opie is installed on the forecourt of the Hugh Lane Dublin City Gallery on Parnell Square, Dublin 1. It is just one part of a temporary installation of five animated LED installations which were sited along the central median of O’Connell Street and on Parnell Square. This element of the five part installation still remains on the Hugh Lane forecourt. The installation was curated by Barbara Dawson for the Hugh Lane's centenary celebrations in 2008.

Advertisement