Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social media and mobile phones?

Options
  • 27-04-2019 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Whats the current current best practice for teens (pre 16) on social media useage and mobile devices, passwords and such?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Pre teens is too broad a 13 is very different from a 15yr old. It's going to be different for every child. Some will obey rules some won't.

Also it's impossible to control their access outside of your home. So it's only inside your home you can control.

I use a router to filter the internet and turns off their WiFi to a set schedule.

Usually the guidelines suggest No device's at night no computers in your bedrooms. Only in the family room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

14 going on 15.

I know they are on social media, I'm looking for best practices regarding privacy settings and adding people/followers.

Sites like vsco that have no privacy settings, what's the general consensus with sites like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://www.fosi.org/good-digital-parenting/what-vsco/

Most schools run advisory sessions for students and parents. Have you done one?

Ultimately you have no control. So it comes down to what common sense rules and morality the child has learnt from you and which they have chosen to accept.

All the media companies have poor or no parental controls. Govts have not demanded they have them. So it's a free for all on the internet.

Parents do not have the tech skills to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

A good tip I once heard from an expert in teen internet usage, was that you should make the rules WITH your teen.
    Ask them, what should be the rules for a 13/14/15 year old? Apparently it they can be surprisingly fair when you talk about setting general rules, and it helps them to stick to them when they feel like the agreed to them.

Obviously talk about the risks with them - grooming is real and there ARE people who are not who they say they are online. Set clear boundaries. Agree on what level of supervision you expect. Make sure they know its all done because you want to help keep them safe and healthy.

Advertisement