Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP VoIP Settings

Options
  • 27-04-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi,

I have FTTH with Digiweb and very weirdly they refuse to provide me with the VoIP settings.

Basically the only way to use it, it's to use they own insecure router....

Is this expected? I'm in Ireland for around 8 years, but didn't really care about Landline and VoIP before, although I know French's ISP are totally open with the manual settings, so you can setup with your own hardware, even setup on your iOS devices, with clear how to from the ISP.

Why is this so restricted and keep as a secret with DigiWeb?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

kevincork wrote: »
    Hi,

I have FTTH with Digiweb and very weirdly they refuse to provide me with the VoIP settings.

Basically the only way to use it, it's to use they own insecure router....

Is this expected? I'm in Ireland for around 8 years, but didn't really care about Landline and VoIP before, although I know French's ISP are totally open with the manual settings, so you can setup with your own hardware, even setup on your iOS devices, with clear how to from the ISP.

Why is this so restricted and keep as a secret with DigiWeb?

I presume the main reason is that their support department only need to support 1 device. The same goes for Vodafone, Eir, Virgin Media etc. Most ISPs (excluding Digiweb) provide a mobile service so if customers can use a VoIP landline on a mobile this would cause them to make a loss on mobile.

Basically, they want you to think it’s an ordinary PSTN service and don’t want people fiddling with it.

In fact, Eircom used to supply SIP accounts but they discontinued this service for residential customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kevincork

Mr. G wrote: »
    I presume the main reason is that their support department only need to support 1 device. The same goes for Vodafone, Eir, Virgin Media etc. Most ISPs (excluding Digiweb) provide a mobile service so if customers can use a VoIP landline on a mobile this would cause them to make a loss on mobile.

Basically, they want you to think it’s an ordinary PSTN service and don’t want people fiddling with it.

In fact, Eircom used to supply SIP accounts but they discontinued this service for residential customers.

This make total sense.
    I'm my case I gave up and bough a service with "Zadarma" seems good enough so far

Advertisement