Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past shops of Cork!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Block (8 wrote: »
    Wow that brings back memories!

I remember having a speccy and seeing a printer for it behind the shop window thinking "if I had that I can print any words I type on my spectrum amazing"

One of those Sinclair thermal printers with the silver paper?

There was another shop on pembroke street that was great for the speccy games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Hills Newsagents on Pana - they had three shops at one time, next to HMV, in the Savoy and on Winthrop Street under the old cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Noddys Toys in Queens Old Castle

Pizza Pomodoro (excuse the spelling if incorrect) Upstairs over where Tiger is now. Deep pan pizzas to die for, and a queue down the stairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Going back a long, long time.

Does anyone else remember when the Savoy had that massive arcade in the back of it? I vaguely remember being able to use a slide to get down to it. Eventually the place got cropped massively and was just a room with a few machines, and then it was gone.

magentis wrote: »
    Two computer shops I remember frequenting,there was one on Washington st and another on Lavitts quay(owned by Sean beausang).The names of them escapes me.I remember getting my speccy and commodore 64 fixed in them!

Also the Philip's depot up further repairing my Philip's g7000 console!

Was the one on Washington Street called PF or P&F?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Pisces Fish and Aquarium shop on Maylor street next door to Smyths

Was the one on Washington Street called PF or P&F?

Just came to me now! Digilog!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sonics2k wrote: »

Does anyone else remember when the Savoy had that massive arcade in the back of it? I vaguely remember being able to use a slide to get down to it. Eventually the place got cropped massively and was just a room with a few machines, and then it was gone.

Yup. Big slide down to a ball pit!
    That had a big gyroscopic flight simulator game too.

McDonalds used to be mandys wasn't it?Not sure it was ever a burgerland now.Think it was the Patrick st one and Wilton too.

Yup. Big slide down to a ball pit!

Remember that alright.There was an arcade/snooker hall in that lane opposite the back of the Savoy too wasn't there?

The arcades I remember was that one,pot black where the kino was,the tudor(is it still there?I'm in Dublin now)The one down the side of the queens old castle and the one on Mac Curtain street where the palace used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The Tackle Shop on the Coal Quay. If anyone was into fishing they'll remember this place. It used also (frequently I believe) win awards for the shop front as it was a lovely traditional style.

magentis wrote: »
    McDonalds used to be mandys wasn't it?Not sure it was ever a burgerland now.Think it was the Patrick st one and Wilton too.

Daunt's Square Mcd was both Mandy's and Burgerland at different times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Not a shop but the I remember a machine I used call the monkey in Dunnes Ballyvolane!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Sonics2k wrote: »

I remember the place and the big slide. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That’d been the R360.

I remember the place and the big slide. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the place!

Think it was just called the Savoy

Anyone remember Top Pool and Pot Black?

Think it was just called the Savoy

Anyone remember Top Pool and Pot Black?

I remember it as the Savoy too.It may well have had a name though.

The one on mac Curtain street was"the gaff" wasn't it?

That’d been the R360.

Had one go on it and game over in no time! They also had one of those big simulator machines that about 10 or 12 people could sit in. Think it simulated a roller-coaster. Only vague memories of it and Google fails me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

For food, who remembers Halpins. The first curry I ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭whatever76

Cassidys on Patrick st ( used to be woolworths before that - now a bank i think )
    Red Square - paul st
    Gypsies - think paul street
    Bennetts ( Waterstones now)
    Molloys shoes on north main street
    Mirror Mirror ( now oasis)
    FM store ( front of old queens old castle)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Be right back

The sandwich cafe, Natural(?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Daunt's Square Mcd was both Mandy's and Burgerland at different times.

Found some old photos at home recently of my 7th birthday party in Mandy's. 1978.
    Paper red and white hats for all the guests and the staff put some chips in a balloon for me and we thought it was the bee's knees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Ah lads has no one mentioned Liam Ruiséal's on Oliver Plunkett Street?

Really missed by book lovers when they closed - I always went out of my way to call in when in Cork!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

That’d been the R360.

I remember that too. Looked like this.

The sandwich cafe, Natural(?)

Naturel or Naturale or something.
    There was a couple of them.
    I remember one on Daunt's Square where the phone shop is now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ah lads has no one mentioned Liam Ruiséal's on Oliver Plunkett Street?

Really missed by book lovers when they closed - I always went out of my way to call in when in Cork!

I walked past this last week. The inside of the shop is completely empty now. There was a sticker on the front of the locked front door that read:

"Support local businesses" :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Stratvs wrote: »
    For food, who remembers Halpins. The first curry I ever had.

What happened to that place in the end? We used to go there when I was in primary school. I remember there being a counter that seemed to be constantly busy and every visit revealed it had burrowed like a rabbits warren into another extension.

What has become of the store that was NODDY'S ? Had extensive range of Airfix kits etc before Marks Models set up in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

What happened to that place in the end? We used to go there when I was in primary school. I remember there being a counter that seemed to be constantly busy and every visit revealed it had burrowed like a rabbits warren into another extension.

That’s as I remember it too. Think there were few other eateries over the years but not sure what’s on the site now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

SeaFields wrote: »
    The Tackle Shop on the Coal Quay. If anyone was into fishing they'll remember this place. It used also (frequently I believe) win awards for the shop front as it was a lovely traditional style.

There was a fishing shop on Lavitts Quay and Murrays in Patrick Street had fishing gear all gone now I suppose shame. Really miss how shops back in the day sold items for different needs now all just phone shops and coffee shops or vacant.

Advertisement