Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a cheap bike for a short commute

Options
  • 27-04-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Looking to find a cheap bike for a short 2 mile commute, a little hilly in parts.

I'm 40 years old and haven't cycled in about 20 years. Im reasonably fit but more worried about how comfortable I'll feel cycling in traffic, so don't want to spend much incase I find it doesn't suit me. Any suggestions for something cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Go Halfords and buy what's in your budget.

There is a ridge 6 speed that is well able for 2 miles and will last year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Carrera axle currently 240 in halfords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anything that's mechanically sound and correct fit will do. Do you have any friends that are close to your height who may have a bike they don't use?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sheepers

Thanks. I'll have a peek in Halfords.

Any tips for getting used to cycling in an urban area? Am a little bit intimidated by it! Also have cycled in 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

if you post where you are cycling from and to, people will be able to assess the route and tell you what to watch out for and how to handle specific junctions.

basic stuff to practice before you get out on a busy road, is looking over your shoulder without wobbling too much, being able to maintain balance balance when indicating, and getting comfortable starting and stopping.

when you are out on the road, try to stay about 70-90cm out from the kerb at a minimum. dont cycle in the gutter as it will give you flat tyres quickly and make it harder to stay balanced with all the bumping and mini potholes.

you can also hop off the bike and push it on any footpath if there is a messy junction or traffic. i hop on and off my bike all the time around town to avoid having to wait at red lights and avoid "no left turns" etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Where are you based? There's a few shops selling secondhand bikes in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭sheepers

site_owner wrote: »
    if you post where you are cycling from and to, people will be able to assess the route and tell you what to watch out for and how to handle specific junctions.

Some nice advice there thank you. I'll be cycling from Douglas Village, Cork to the Forgehill industrial estate. So crossing over via Grange. Doesn't look like anything too tricky, just general anxiety of cycling in traffic when I'm not used to it. I don't think there is much in the way of cycle lanes on this route.
    Where are you based? There's a few shops selling secondhand bikes in Dublin.

I'm in Cork. I'm sure there must be some 2nd hand places here too. If I could get a better bang for the buck 2nd hand I'd go that route. Don't want to spend more than 150/200ish simply because I don't want to find out a week later I don't fancy cycling in the traffic. Would spend more otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Don't cycle the shortest way. Cycle the nicest route. If you don't like a junction, dismount and walk until it's past. You might have no right turn. Just get off. Walk cross then remount. Things like that.

Practise the route in a Sunday when it's quieter.

Advertisement