Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Wifi, Meh!

Options
  • 27-04-2019 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

I’ve just decommissioned 3 x Apple Airport Extremes that were rock solid to fix an issue with Nest thermostats going offline. I replaced them with a 3 x pack Google Wifi expecting at least the same performance as the Apple kit, alas not.

Constant delays scrolling, random disconnects, one wifi puck dropping off the network and regular complaints from family members. Google support while responsive is weak.

Google Mesh is a farce and speeds are abysmal compared to wired backhaul. If it wasn’t for the fact the Nest are now online 90% of the time I’d be looking for a refund.

Anyone else have similar issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

What's a wifi puck?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

AmberGold wrote: »
    I’ve just decommissioned 3 x Apple Airport Extremes that were rock solid to fix an issue with Nest thermostats going offline. I replaced them with a 3 x pack Google Wifi expecting at least the same performance as the Apple kit, alas not.

Constant delays scrolling, random disconnects, one wifi puck dropping off the network and regular complaints from family members. Google support while responsive is weak.

Google Mesh is a farce and speeds are abysmal compared to wired backhaul. If it wasn’t for the fact the Nest are now online 90% of the time I’d be looking for a refund.

Anyone else have similar issues?

have you checked for wifi interference from your neighbours?

most wifi use the same channels and it cant get crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

What's a wifi puck?

It’s American Maaannn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

irishgeo wrote: »
    have you checked for wifi interference from your neighbours?

most wifi use the same channels and it cant get crowded.

Google Wifi is “supposed” to sort out all that channel stuff itself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Wireless interference is still interference. If you had issues before and still do with new hardware, then the issue lies elsewhere. For instance, "scrolling delays" has nothing to do with internet performance, rather the device performance itself. What is the device you are connecting to it with this delay? The Nests having issues before / after point to interference / setup issues. Whos the host internet provided by? What router is it?

Mesh WiFi is a big improvement over standard routers for area coverage but if the devices connecting have issues, you can't blame the host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Ubiquiti all the way . . .

Ken

Advertisement