Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a silly idea?

Options
  • 27-04-2019 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Bit of background info, for the last year or two I've been tempted to buy a 2 bed apartment somewhere that isn't too much of a commute from city centre of Dublin. The plan was to rent out a room to help me pay towards the mortgage.

I'm young enough (mid 20s)and have a decent deposit saved up. For the last few years I've been doing a fairly crazy commute and want to stop doing such long commutes in the near future.

I've started to realise that it's nearly impossible to get a 2 bed that'll give me a short commute (under 30 mins preferably to city centre) and now starting to think of getting a small 1 bed.

Benefits:

- since I have a savings, I'd only need to borrow a smallish amount and it'd mean my mortgage would be about 500 a month

- really short commute, could get somewhere in fairview for example

- maybe I could still get 2k or so cashback which wouldn't be bad if I only have to get a small enough mortgage (I'm sure the banks have this sussed out though)

Negatives:

- Not exactly future proof but I've no plans to have kids etc in the short to medium term.

- Can't take advantage of the rent a room scheme.

- Living by myself could be potentially lonely 😅

- I'm sure there's more such as losing some first time buyer reliefs but there doesn't seem to be much?

Is there anything else I'm missing out on do you think? I know it's a highly personal situation but maybe some people on here have done something similar. The way I'm starting to look at it is - 500 odd euro a month is very little so I think I should at least consider it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭airportgirl83

Why do you think it's nearly impossible to find a 2 bed with 30min commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Slacky000

Why do you think it's nearly impossible to find a 2 bed with 30min commute?

Sorry I should have mentioned that I meant with 1 wage and looking for an apartment that's in a nice area / in decent nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Unless you have a rather large deposit or a rather good paying job I reckon you’ll struggle to get a mortgage for anything in Dublin!

how.gareth wrote: »
    Unless you have a rather large deposit or a rather good paying job I reckon you’ll struggle to get a mortgage for anything in Dublin!

True. I've a large deposit and a relatively well paid job although I still feel fairly limited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Slacky000 wrote: »
    True. I've a large deposit and a relatively well paid job although I still feel fairly limited

2 bed house goes in my estate for under €200k. In Blanchardstown , you would easily rent out our a room for €800 a month

• Advertisement

I just realised I could get it down to 300 a month for this one bed by going 30 years rather than 20. It's almost like a most people's car loan then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bit of background info, for the last year or two I've been tempted to buy a 2 bed apartment somewhere that isn't too much of a commute from city centre of Dublin. The plan was to rent out a room to help me pay towards the mortgage.

I'm young enough (mid 20s)and have a decent deposit saved up. For the last few years I've been doing a fairly crazy commute and want to stop doing such long commutes in the near future.

I've started to realise that it's nearly impossible to get a 2 bed that'll give me a short commute (under 30 mins preferably to city centre) and now starting to think of getting a small 1 bed.

Benefits:

- since I have a savings, I'd only need to borrow a smallish amount and it'd mean my mortgage would be about 500 a month

- maybe I could still get 2k or so cashback which wouldn't be bad if I only have to get a small enough mortgage (I'm sure the banks have this sussed out though)

Negatives:

- Not exactly future proof but I've no plans to have kids etc in the short to medium term.

- Living by myself could be potentially lonely ��

- I'm sure there's more such as losing some first time buyer reliefs but there doesn't seem to be much?

Is there anything else I'm missing out on do you think? I know it's a highly personal situation but maybe some people on here have done something similar. The way I'm starting to look at it is - 500 odd euro a month is very little so I think I should at least consider it.

Provided it's not in an area with high levels of crime, I don't see anything wrong with it at all, what's your budget

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Provided it's not in an area with high levels of crime, I don't see anything wrong with it at all, what's your budget

I've seen one place for 135k which got me thinking about this idea

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you want to be near the city centre just buy in the city centre, cuts out commuting costs and should be easy rent in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭NSAman

If you want to be near the city centre just buy in the city centre, cuts out commuting costs and should be easy rent in the future.

Errghhhh you have seen the prices in the city center? He isn’t a millionaire !

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    Errghhhh you have seen the prices in the city center? He isn’t a millionaire !

2 bed mountjoy square 200k. 1 bed Adelaide road 150k, that's not bad considering location.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Because of the harder resale value of 1 bed apartments some banks require 20% deposit so worth bearing that in mind for your financing

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Because of the harder resale value of 1 bed apartments some banks require 20% deposit so worth bearing that in mind for your financing

Yep I have that together. Have around 40% for a cheap 1 bed studio

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Benefits:

Negatives:

- Living by myself could be potentially lonely 😅

How are you commuting? If you get a motorbike then loads of places are 30 minutes from the city center, even a pedal assisted bicycle would give you a bigger range to choose from.

I'd avoid the 1 bed if possible, even though you have no plans now there is plenty of people stuck in homes they thought would be fine until they suddenly find out that its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I done what you suggesting 12 years ago. Got a small 1 bed near the city which at the time was crazy money.

Fast forward 5 years later lost job and use redundancy to cut mortgage to €50k

2 years later married and moved to Germany.

Now renting out Dublin apartment to a couple paying 20% tax as I am a non resident.

Just finished mortgage and the rent I get covers my rent here in Germany.

I suggest going for it if you can.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP , look around the Dublin 15 area in blanchardstown etc, you should be able to pick up a place for the lower end of prices

gar32 wrote: »
    I done what you suggesting 12 years ago. Got a small 1 bed near the city which at the time was crazy money.

Fast forward 5 years later lost job and use redundancy to cut mortgage to €50k

2 years later married and moved to Germany.

Now renting out Dublin apartment to a couple paying 20% tax as I am a non resident.

Just finished mortgage and the rent I get covers my rent here in Germany.

I suggest going for it if you can.

Good luck.

Glad it worked out for you. Yeah I was thinking that even if I do need to get a better place in 5 or 10 years, I could probably have a decent amount of savings again (assuming the mortgage for the 1 bed will be only a few hundred a month) and potentially rent out the 1 bed.

Del2005 wrote: »
    How are you commuting? If you get a motorbike then loads of places are 30 minutes from the city center, even a pedal assisted bicycle would give you a bigger range to choose from.

I'd avoid the 1 bed if possible, even though you have no plans now there is plenty of people stuck in homes they thought would be fine until they suddenly find out that its not.

Bus. It's currently an hour on the bus alone and walking around 30 mins on top each way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

The people you say are stuck in 1 beds will remain stuck in them if people heeded this advise.

If everybody was to avoid 1 beds, then of course those people in one now would be forever stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

sKeith wrote: »
    The people you say are stuck in 1 beds will remain stuck in them if people heeded this advise.

If everybody was to avoid 1 beds, then of course those people in one now would be forever stuck.

and ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

1 beds are very good from the point of view of rental. Most experienced landlords prefer them. Lettings are to couples who have two incomes, can afford the rent and generally take care of the place. If buying a 1 bed as an interim, the plan should be to save a deposit for the forever home and keep the 1 bed on as an investment. 300 a month repayments and about €150 a month service charge plus maintenance of apartment and appliances. The trick is to buy in a good block.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bus. It's currently an hour on the bus alone and walking around 30 mins on top each way.

You could cut that to about 20 minutes on motorbike. You can save more and afford better when you do buy

You could cut that to about 20 minutes on motorbike. You can save more and afford better when you do buy

I'm not even in Dublin where I am now so there's no way it's 20 mins on a bike unfortunately.

I just realised the place that gave me this idea in the first place is a studio apartment that's 25m squared. Tiny tiny. Ouch

How much time and money are you spending on commuting? ie how much extra freetime you get a year and the cost of it. Is there a case for renting within waking distance to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm looking at this myself, aggressively paying off the one bed for 5 odd years then trying to trade up or possibly add a 2nd house.

Slim pickens though. I wouldn't go below 35sqm.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I'm looking at this myself, aggressively paying off the one bed for 5 odd years then trying to trade up or possibly add a 2nd house.

Slim pickens though. I wouldn't go below 35sqm.
    It would be better to go for 45sqm. When the market goes soft the bigger unit will withstand the downturn better.

How much time and money are you spending on commuting? ie how much extra freetime you get a year and the cost of it. Is there a case for renting within waking distance to work?

The cost isn't too bad in fairness but the time is a killer. 3 hours a day roughly. Could be, living at home with the parents at the minute. (which is why I've saved a lot, without that I'd be screwed)

If you had some way to get the cash together before getting the mortgage this could be worth looking at https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/dublin-8/15a-emmet-court-dublin-8-dublin-2031042
    Looks like a bit of value size wise. Easy enough rent I'd assume.

If you had some way to get the cash together before getting the mortgage this could be worth looking at https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/dublin-8/15a-emmet-court-dublin-8-dublin-2031042

It is a tiny two bed. Anything would rent at the moment. When the market is soft it will be troublesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

You'd want to know why it's cash only. Will a bank not give a mortgage as there's problems with the apartment block?

Advertisement