Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows boot manager - an unexpected i/o error has occurred

Options
  • 28-04-2019 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a desktop that I hadn't used in about 2 years. Powered it up this evening but got the attached error

478866.jpg

Did a bit of reading and seems the hard drive may have packed it in.

Is there any way to recover from this saving data etc?

Thanks in advanced,
    mhtc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭SilverSideUp

Yes. Get a usb stick. Put an operating system image on the usb stick. Plug in the USB. Go into BIOS in your PC and change the boot priority to boot from USB. Save settings and reboot your PC. You should be able to access data on your corrupt hard drive that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

First of all, if you suspect drive failing, try to get copy of your data out from it by connecting drive to another PC (internally or over USB enclosure) if its recognized at all.
    As per error, check if drive connected properly, check for corroded contacts, reconnect it.

To rebuild current installation BCD

Boot into Win installation USB or CD (do not proceed with installation)
    click SHIFT+F10
    in CMD window type and hit Enter after each command:

bcdedit /export C:\bcd_backup
    c:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    y

Close CMD window
    Exit/cancel installation
    Restart PC (remove installation USB or CD)

There is several video tutorials on the Tube how to use bootrec.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Thanks a million for the replies lads. Will give it a go and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Good advice above re recovery.
    I had a similar error message recently, several attempts at reinstalling OS on the disk failed after initially seeming to work. Eventually I found there were a handful of bad sectors on the disk in the OS partition. I deleted it and created a smaller partition to avoid where those errors were. Seems to be working fine now, although obviously a disk thats started to fail may get more bad sectors. Your disk errors may be more widespread though, and for long term use you'd be better off with a new disk

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Yes. Get a usb stick. Put an operating system image on the usb stick. Plug in the USB. Go into BIOS in your PC and change the boot priority to boot from USB. Save settings and reboot your PC. You should be able to access data on your corrupt hard drive that way.

Finally got round to trying this earlier. Worked a treat, cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement