Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplement advice and information

Options
  • 28-04-2019 3:40am

Howdy.

Thought it would be beneficial, for the forum, if we had a thread dedicated to supplements.

What to take, when to take it and where to buy it.

I think we all know that some supplements are needed and some are recommended for people to maintain a healthy body.

I'm finding the research to be laborious and even confusing so helpfully we can all help each other.

Finally, a note to the mods - can we keep this thread to the topic and not have any discussion about 'you should get everything you need from the food you eat' ?

I eat a very well balanced diet but I would like know if I'm missing out on any important vitamins to continue healthily into old age. No point planning to live to be 100 but unknowingly be making simple mistakes.

It would be fantastic if we can help all people better understand supplements and which ones we should possibly be taking.

A friendly informative thread would be great without it being overrun by any anti-vegan rhetoric.

Comments

I'll start with some of the basic stuff i think I've learnt.

There is no 'one multi vitamin cures all' option. So understanding what we need and when we need it is important.

Vitamin b12 -

I currently take a, under the tongue, soluble tablet 3 times a week first thing in the morning. It is 1000mcg.

Vitamin D -

I take 1000lu 3 times a week in the evening.

Vitamin K2 -

I take 180mcg 3 times a week in the evening.

My understanding is that D and K2 are better when taken together but not at the same time as B12 as there can be an absorption issue.

I do take 1 tablespoon of Udo's 3.6.9 oil blend about 3-4 times a week but I'd prefer this in a capsule form. I believe its covering my DHA need but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm currently buying these from different locations so if anyone knows a trusted website, that I can buy all these from, then that would be great.

I'm now trying to learn about when to take iodine, zinc, calcium and DHA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I only take vitamins and minerals I am deficient in and check with both my GP and pharmacist that they do not interact with other medications or supplements

My last blood test showed falling B12 and vit d deficiency

I take “veg 1” supplement once a week from the vegan society it’s make up is

Vit D3 20 UG (400%)
    Vit B2 1.6 MG ( 114% )
    VIT B6 2 MG (143%)
    FOLIC ACID 200 UG (100%)
    VIT B12 25 UG (1000%)
    SELIUM 60 UG (109%)
    IODINE 150 UG (100%)

For the vit D deficiency, Gp has me on desunin 800 iu vit d3

Will get another blood test in a month or so to see if the supplements are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

I also take the veg1 supplement.
    I take it on alternate days. Although on the bottle it does say to take one per day.
    On the days between I take Opti3 omega 3 EPA and DHA.
    Of course I also have the versatile Godsend , nooch.

I have heard there are plant based doctors in Dublin but does anybody know of any out here in the sticks?

This link might be handy for some. ( If link doesn't work just copy and paste.)

https://www.plantbaseddoctorsireland.org

auspicious wrote: »
    I have heard there are plant based doctors in Dublin but does anybody know of any out here in the sticks?

This link might be handy for some. ( If link doesn't work just copy and paste.)

https://www.plantbaseddoctorsireland.org

I’m not based in Ireland.

Think I’d prefer to go off a community, like this, rather than seek out a plant based doctor.

Can’t imagine they would know more than this forum combined.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a good list (or link) to a well informed guide as to what to take and when to take it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Does anyone have a good list (or link) to a well informed guide as to what to take and when to take it ?

Liz Cook does extremely handy wall charts, one of which lists all major nutrients (down to zinc, potassium etc and including daily levels) and their main food sources. That tends to be my starting guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

"Does anyone have a good list (or link) to a well informed guide as to what to take and when to take it ? "
    Earl Mindell's "The Vitamin Bible", 2002 edition, probably new edition available by now, is very matter of fact, very informative. Also advise what combinations of supplements to avoid. Or to mind the medication one is taking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Worztron

sunnib wrote: »
    "Does anyone have a good list (or link) to a well informed guide as to what to take and when to take it ? "
    Earl Mindell's "The Vitamin Bible", 2002 edition, probably new edition available by now, is very matter of fact, very informative. Also advise what combinations of supplements to avoid. Or to mind the medication one is taking

Hi sunnib.
    • B12
    • Omega-3 DHA-EPA (maybe) (or get enough ALA from chia/flaxseed, etc.)
    • Vitamin D3 (maybe) (unless you get adequate sun exposure)
    I recommend the VEG1 supplement from the Vegan Society as it also contains things like iodine, etc. which may be more difficult to get on a vegan diet.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Anyone taking NMN or interested in it ?

• Advertisement

Anyone taking NMN or interested in it ?

Hi klopparama. What's 'NMN'?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »

Sorry Worztron.

Forgot to come back to this.

It’s sometjjng I’d heard about but haven’t researched properly hence my question here.

I’m still reading about NMN and NR but it’s hard work. If I reach any conclusions I’ll get back to you on here.

Sorry Worztron.

Forgot to come back to this.

It’s sometjjng I’d heard about but haven’t researched properly hence my question here.

I’m still reading about NMN and NR but it’s hard work. If I reach any conclusions I’ll get back to you on here.

Thank you klopparama.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Nicotinamide mononucleotide. Derived form Niacin.

Shown to have anti-aging properties in mice. No evidence it works in humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭A Summer In Provence

B12
    D3
    Turmeric Curcumin & Black Pepper
    Algae Omega EPA/DHA

Genuine question here: unless you’ve had a blood test and found your B12 levels low, why spend money on B12 supplements? It’s added to so many things - margarine, yeast flakes, Vecon etc, breakfast cereals, who knows what else.

Given the tiny amount required for optimum levels, does supplementing (of B12, at least) make sense? There may be genuine reasons, what are they? Thanks.

Genuine question here: unless you’ve had a blood test and found your B12 levels low, why spend money on B12 supplements? It’s added to so many things - margarine, yeast flakes, Vecon etc, breakfast cereals, who knows what else.

Given the tiny amount required for optimum levels, does supplementing (of B12, at least) make sense? There may be genuine reasons, what are they? Thanks.

Hi David. Vegans must never risk becoming B12 deficient. Take the supplement to be safe rather than sorry - at least that way you know how much B12 you're getting. It'd be awkward to figure out how much B12 you get from various sources with each providing smaller quantities.

Hi David. Vegans must never risk becoming B12 deficient.

Well, yes. And it’s abundant in a ‘normal’ (i.e. someone who uses what I listed) diet.

There’s a much cheaper alternative to any constant/cautionary supplementation which is a full blood test every few years.

Supplementation is fine for targeted purposes but of questionable value - in all senses - in many cases. Advertising is powerful, often trading in fear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The best thing is to do blood tests, a lot of people don't though. Personally I rarely have any of those things that are fortified, well sometimes I do, it varies a lot! A supplement once every few days that costs practically nothing and is tasty is no issue for me, but as we hold years of stores it;ll never be a problem for me anyway.

The best thing is to do blood tests, a lot of people don't though.

I get a full one done every five years or so, usually if I have to see a doc. for anything else (thankfully really rare - must be the diet!). The results can be nerdily fascinating. :D

• Advertisement

Well, yes. And it’s abundant in a ‘normal’ (i.e. someone who uses what I listed) diet.

There’s a much cheaper alternative to any constant/cautionary supplementation which is a full blood test every few years.

Supplementation is fine for targeted purposes but of questionable value - in all senses - in many cases. Advertising is powerful, often trading in fear.

Fair enough if you get frequent blood tests but at least B12 is very cheap. No doubt you're careful about your levels. I will certainly stick with my B12 supplements anyway even when I get some B12 from soymilk, some breakfast cereals, etc.

Last week I bought Opti3 Omega-3 EPA & DHA - 3 for 2 offer from Vegetology = 90 days worth for €00.44c per day.
    ( Also got same offer for Joint-Vie™ Advanced Bone & Joint Formula )

And from The Vegan Society Veg1 ( highlighted earlier on thread ) 180 blackcurrent tablets for £12.70 ( one per day advised) which works out at €00.08c per day.
    Oh and some £7 bee bombs :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Took those opti 3 things for years now! Don't eat enough ALA omega 3 regularly.

Last week I bought Opti3 Omega-3 EPA & DHA - 3 for 2 offer from Vegetology = 90 days worth for €00.44c per day.
    ( Also got same offer for Joint-Vie™ Advanced Bone & Joint Formula )

And from The Vegan Society Veg1 ( highlighted earlier on thread ) 180 blackcurrent tablets for £12.70 ( one per day advised) which works out at €00.08c per day.
    Oh and some £7 bee bombs :)

Those VEG1 supplements are as tasty as candy.

Those VEG1 supplements are as tasty as candy.

Yes lol. Crush one and the taste explodes in your mouth! I've haven't tried blackcurrant yet, only orange.

Yes lol. Crush one and the taste explodes in your mouth! I've haven't tried blackcurrant yet, only orange.

I've tried both -- equally delicious. 😋

Just bought these mushrooms in Dunnes €2.
    Selenium enriched and uv light treated.
    The Mighty Mushroom - Immune 450g.
    ( Co. Monaghan. )
    100g as sold vit D 54%RI, selenium 100%RI.

Advertisement