Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Scythica

I live in Sw England with my gf being a quins fan while some good mates are bath supporters....

Some great weekends coming up lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not too bad a draw. No easy games, but we definitely have the ability to get out of the pool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    Not too bad a draw. No easy games, but we definitely have the ability to get out of the pool

Arguably we'd a harder pool last season.

Arguably we'd a harder pool last season.

On paper yes, but it's doubtful that Bath and Harlequins will collapse like Leicester did this season. But I still fancy our chances.

Winning two away games in England is still a big ask no matter the opposition. But we are better than both Bath and Quins and I'd fancy us against anyone at Kingspan so I can see us splitting the results with Clermont.

The big unknown is the World Cup. In a world where Stockdale and particularly Hendy come back bucked we'll be in all kinds of trouble.

The 2019/20 Abbey Insurance Ulster Rugby Academy Academy squad has been announced, which includes five new entrants.

Flying back three sensation Aaron Sexton will make the full time switch from athletics to rugby, having recently broken the Irish Schools records for both the 100 and 200 metres. Sexton is also a familiar name in rugby circles, as he was Ulster A’s top try scorer in last year’s Celtic Cup, touching down seven times in six games. The Bangor Grammar School pupil also featured in Ulster’s pre-season friendly versus Gloucester and was the 2017 Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Player of the Year.

Another exciting back three prospect, Conor Rankin, will join the Academy from Campbell College, where he was a pivotal figure in the side that won the 2018 Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Cup.

Recently awarded Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Player of the Year Tom Stewart is another player joining the Academy following a stellar schools career where the Belfast Royal Academy hooker captained Ulster at U18 level.

Highly rated Irish qualified centre Hayden Hyde will make the move from English Premiership side Harlequins to Ulster, following in the footsteps of Kieran Treadwell and Sam Arnold. Hyde has already represented Ireland at U18 and U19 level.

Following a year in the sub-Academy and a season’s experience in the All Ireland League with Banbridge RFC, prop Callum Reid has been awarded a full time place in the Academy. Reid represented Ulster A in the Celtic Cup last year and was part of the Ireland U20 Six Nations Grand Slam winning team.

ABBEY INSURANCE ULSTER RUGBY ACADEMY 2019/20

Year 4:

Aaron Hall
    Position: Back Row
    DOB: 26/06/1998
    Height: 193cm
    Weight: 98kg

Year 3:

Graham Curtis
    Position: Scrum Half
    DOB: 12/09/1999
    Height: 176cm
    Weight: 84kg

Matthew Dalton
    Position: 2nd Row
    DOB: 16/11/1998
    Height: 197cm
    Weight: 105kg

Joe Dunleavy
    Position: Flanker
    DOB: 22/12/1998
    Height: 190cm
    Weight: 101kg

Jack Regan
    DOB: 09/05/1997
    Weight: 108kg

Year 2:

Matthew Agnew
    DOB: 20/11/1998
    Height: 180cm
    Weight: 89kg

Azur Allison
    DOB: 19/04/1999
    Height: 192cm
    Weight: 95kg

Bruce Houston
    Position: Fly Half
    DOB: 16/08/1999

Iwan Hughes
    Position: Back Three
    DOB: 06/04/1999
    Height: 174cm
    Weight: 79kg

David McCann
    DOB: 13/06/2000
    Height: 191cm
    Weight: 103kg

Stewart Moore
    Position: Centre
    DOB: 08/08/1999
    Height: 183cm
    Weight: 91kg

Year 1:

Hayden Hyde
    DOB: 15/09/2000

Conor Rankin
    DOB: 27/05/2001
    Height: 186cm
    Weight: 83kg

Callum Reid
    Position: Prop
    DOB: 06/01/1999
    Weight: 111kg

Aaron Sexton
    DOB: 24/08/2000
    Height: 188cm
    Weight: 88kg

Tom Stewart
    Position: Hooker
    DOB: 11/01/2001
    Height: 182cm
    Weight: 97kg

• Advertisement

The 2019/20 Abbey Insurance Ulster Rugby Academy Academy squad has been announced, which includes five new entrants.

Flying back three sensation Aaron Sexton will make the full time switch from athletics to rugby, having recently broken the Irish Schools records for both the 100 and 200 metres. Sexton is also a familiar name in rugby circles, as he was Ulster A’s top try scorer in last year’s Celtic Cup, touching down seven times in six games. The Bangor Grammar School pupil also featured in Ulster’s pre-season friendly versus Gloucester and was the 2017 Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Player of the Year.

Another exciting back three prospect, Conor Rankin, will join the Academy from Campbell College, where he was a pivotal figure in the side that won the 2018 Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Cup.

Recently awarded Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Player of the Year Tom Stewart is another player joining the Academy following a stellar schools career where the Belfast Royal Academy hooker captained Ulster at U18 level.

Highly rated Irish qualified centre Hayden Hyde will make the move from English Premiership side Harlequins to Ulster, following in the footsteps of Kieran Treadwell and Sam Arnold. Hyde has already represented Ireland at U18 and U19 level.

Following a year in the sub-Academy and a season’s experience in the All Ireland League with Banbridge RFC, prop Callum Reid has been awarded a full time place in the Academy. Reid represented Ulster A in the Celtic Cup last year and was part of the Ireland U20 Six Nations Grand Slam winning team.

ABBEY INSURANCE ULSTER RUGBY ACADEMY 2019/20

Year 4:

Aaron Hall
    DOB: 26/06/1998
    Height: 193cm
    Weight: 98kg

Year 3:

Graham Curtis
    Position: Scrum Half
    DOB: 12/09/1999
    Height: 176cm

Matthew Dalton
    DOB: 16/11/1998
    Weight: 105kg

Joe Dunleavy
    Position: Flanker
    DOB: 22/12/1998
    Height: 190cm
    Weight: 101kg

Jack Regan
    DOB: 09/05/1997
    Weight: 108kg

Year 2:

Matthew Agnew
    DOB: 20/11/1998
    Height: 180cm
    Weight: 89kg

Azur Allison
    DOB: 19/04/1999
    Weight: 95kg

Bruce Houston
    Position: Fly Half
    DOB: 16/08/1999

Iwan Hughes
    DOB: 06/04/1999
    Height: 174cm
    Weight: 79kg

David McCann
    DOB: 13/06/2000
    Height: 191cm
    Weight: 103kg

Stewart Moore
    DOB: 08/08/1999
    Weight: 91kg

Year 1:

Hayden Hyde
    DOB: 15/09/2000

Conor Rankin
    DOB: 27/05/2001
    Height: 186cm
    Weight: 83kg

Callum Reid
    Position: Prop
    DOB: 06/01/1999
    Weight: 111kg

Aaron Sexton
    DOB: 24/08/2000
    Height: 188cm
    Weight: 88kg

Tom Stewart
    Position: Hooker
    DOB: 11/01/2001
    Height: 182cm
    Weight: 97kg

Aaron Sexton has been talked about a lot obviously.

Callum Reid is probably a couple of years behind where he could be, but has the talent to make up for lost time.

Apparently Tom Stewart is very highly rated. It will be interesting to see how he goes. He could come through at a good time as Herring starts getting a bit older.

It must be make or break time now for Aaron Hall, Joe Dunleavy and Matt Dalton etc.

Did Marcus Rea get promoted to a senior contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,707 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bilston wrote: »
    Aaron Sexton has been talked about a lot obviously.

Callum Reid is probably a couple of years behind where he could be, but has the talent to make up for lost time.

Apparently Tom Stewart is very highly rated. It will be interesting to see how he goes. He could come through at a good time as Herring starts getting a bit older.

It must be make or break time now for Aaron Hall, Joe Dunleavy and Matt Dalton etc.

Did Marcus Rea get promoted to a senior contract?

From another article:

"Nine players from Ulster’s academy last season have received upgraded contracts and they include Robert Baloucoune, Angus Curtis, James Hume, Angus Kernohan, Michael Lowry, Zack McCall, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole and Marcus Rea."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

There's a couple of lads from the Methody team this year I would've liked to see involved, but sub-academy after leaving school is pretty standard, and apparently one of them turned down an academy place to focus on medicine anyway. Ryan O'Neil would almost certainly have made it if it wasn't for injuries. A couple of decent players coming through at u18 level as well I think.

Tom Stewart has looked very handy whenever I've seen him and he's been given a place straight out of school so the coaches must rate him. I'd imagine he'll be looking to get ahead of McBurney if he can't push on. Good to see Reid there, he'll be disappointed he didn't make the JWC but he's been away from rugby and he's more than talented enough imo. I'm not sure about Sexton, he's talked a lot about because he's a great athlete but that doesn't mean he'll be a great player. The few times I've seen him he made a few bad decisions and wasn't very good defensively - but I'd contribute that to playing senior rugby while still in school. Just hope people have a little patience with him. Don't know anything about the other two players.

Couple of lads in the academy will really wan to make an impression this year, but I'm not really convinced they have what it takes for to make the jump. Would be delighted to be wrong obviously. I have a lot of time for Hall and I'm glad he's been given another year because of injuries, just hope he can get back to 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

There's a couple of lads from the Methody team this year I would've liked to see involved, but sub-academy after leaving school is pretty standard, and apparently one of them turned down an academy place to focus on medicine anyway. Ryan O'Neil would almost certainly have made it if it wasn't for injuries. A couple of decent players coming through at u18 level as well I think.

Tom Stewart has looked very handy whenever I've seen him and he's been given a place straight out of school so the coaches must rate him. I'd imagine he'll be looking to get ahead of McBurney if he can't push on. Good to see Reid there, he'll be disappointed he didn't make the JWC but he's been away from rugby and he's more than talented enough imo. I'm not sure about Sexton, he's talked a lot about because he's a great athlete but that doesn't mean he'll be a great player. The few times I've seen him he made a few bad decisions and wasn't very good defensively - but I'd contribute that to playing senior rugby while still in school. Just hope people have a little patience with him. Don't know anything about the other two players.

Couple of lads in the academy will really wan to make an impression this year, but I'm not really convinced they have what it takes for to make the jump. Would be delighted to be wrong obviously. I have a lot of time for Hall and I'm glad he's been given another year because of injuries, just hope he can get back to 100%

Agree with this.

Rankin v lucky to make full Academy place. Better players leaving school this year. Didn't make Irish Schools team.

McPhilips away?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yes, to tigers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

awec wrote: »
    Yes, to tigers

Pity. Liked him.

Agree with this.

Rankin v lucky to make full Academy place. Better players leaving school this year. Didn't make Irish Schools team.
    I just haven't him play apart from the Schools Cup final when his team were comprehensively outplayed, so I wouldn't feel comfortable judging him on that.

However, I don't think it's fair to put him down for not making the u18 festival team as there were some very talented back three players in that side, and Rankin did manage to play for the team that played against the English Counties. I had a look at the team sheet for it and there are quite a few guys I reckon will leapfrog the lads ahead of them by the time they play u20 rugby and academies are decided. There's a lot of rugby to be played and developing to do, so just wait and see.

Out of interest, who are the lads leaving school you would've had in the academy?

There's always talk about certain players not getting picked for the Academy and you hear various conspiracy theories.

Consider this, Kieron Campbell and Willie Anderson head the Ulster Academy, they probably don't earn mega bucks. A decent wage no doubt, but one they probably can't afford to lose, particularly if they have a young family like Kieron Campbell. Therefore why on earth would he do anything other than select the best possible players for the Academy? If certain haven't been selected there will be a reason for it. It doesn't mea. The coaches always get it right, but in the pro era that refuse to believe that nepotism and favouritism plays the part it undoubtedtly used to.

Speight had a very good game for the Brumbies in the quarter finals. Was a brilliant bit of work from Ulster to get him on board.

I just haven't him play apart from the Schools Cup final when his team were comprehensively outplayed, so I wouldn't feel comfortable judging him on that.

However, I don't think it's fair to put him down for not making the u18 festival team as there were some very talented back three players in that side, and Rankin did manage to play for the team that played against the English Counties. I had a look at the team sheet for it and there are quite a few guys I reckon will leapfrog the lads ahead of them by the time they play u20 rugby and academies are decided. There's a lot of rugby to be played and developing to do, so just wait and see.

Out of interest, who are the lads leaving school you would've had in the academy?

Without doubt MCB 15.

Without doubt MCB 15.

Interestingly he was preferred at fb to Rankin who played wingbin the Ulster u19 game v Australia

Is McIlroy maybe just not interested in pro rugby?

• Advertisement

Without doubt MCB 15.

Or, the Friends fb from last year who played a few games for Ulster A - Ben McCaughey

Is McIlroy maybe just not interested in pro rugby?

Yea, maybe he was asked.

That's a fun highlight reel. I reckon we can build some nice centre partnerships over the years with Curtis, Hume and Moore coming through, and McCloskey only being 26.

Or, the Friends fb from last year who played a few games for Ulster A - Ben McCaughey
    The fact that he's played for the A team means they're having a look at him. Ulster were criticised a while back for basically letting any decent schools player in the academy who would tend to end up being dead weight, so I'm all for being more selective with who gets in. I don't think lads should expect an academy deal straight out of school either - lots of lads aren't able to make the next step so spending a year improving yourself and showing your worth isn't a bad thing imo.

The fact that he's played for the A team means they're having a look at him. Ulster were criticised a while back for basically letting any decent schools player in the academy who would tend to end up being dead weight, so I'm all for being more selective with who gets in. I don't think lads should expect an academy deal straight out of school either - lots of lads aren't able to make the next step so spending a year improving yourself and showing your worth isn't a bad thing imo.

That's fair enough but if kid being asked to choose between uni on the one hand and rugby on the other for no money ie sub - academy I reckon a fair few won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That'll be him gone for the first 2-3 months of the season if selected. Unfortunate for Ulster but deserved for Coetzee.

He deserves it. I just hope he doesn't come back banjaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭launish116

• Advertisement

Ulster Rugby 2019/20 squad

Players developed through the Abbey Insurance Academy or Ulster club system are marked with *.

Will Addison
    John Andrew*
    Robert Baloucoune*
    Billy Burns
    Sam Carter
    Marcell Coetzee
    John Cooney
    Angus Curtis*
    Matt Faddes
    Craig Gilroy*
    Iain Henderson*
    Rob Herring
    James Hume*
    Bill Johnston
    Greg Jones*
    Ross Kane*
    Angus Kernohan*
    Michael Lowry*
    Louis Ludik
    Rob Lyttle*
    Luke Marshall*
    Adam McBurney*
    Kyle McCall*
    Zack McCall*
    Stuart McCloskey*
    Jack McGrath
    Gareth Milasinovic
    Marty Moore
    Jordi Murphy
    Alan O’Connor*
    David O’Connor
    Tommy O’Hagan*
    Eric O’Sullivan*
    Tom O’Toole*
    Marcus Rea*
    Matty Rea*
    Sean Reidy
    Clive Ross
    David Shanahan*
    Jonny Stewart*
    Jacob Stockdale*
    Nick Timoney*
    Kieran Treadwell
    Andrew Warwick*

Baloucoune, Hume, Kernohan, Zack McCall, David O'Connor, O'Hagan and Marcus Rea on development contracts.

Of the 44 players named in the panel, 41 are Irish-qualified and 27 have progressed through Ulster’s player development pathway.

Nine players who started the 2018/19 season in the Abbey Insurance Ulster Academy have signed upgraded contracts ahead of the new season.

And as pointed out by an Ulster fan elsewhere, Ludik is 32, and Reidy and Ross turned 30 in the last couple of months. They're the oldest - really young squad.

Advertisement