Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm sure Paul will copy and paste shortly...

But Lowry @15
    Stockdale and Faddes on the wings
    Hume at 13
    Madigan at 10
    Moore and Gilroy benching

Reidy and Murphy both start

Rest as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Ulster team to play Toulouse, Heineken Champions Cup Round 1, Friday 11 December 2020 at Kingspan Stadium, kick-off 8pm, live on BT Sport / beIN Sport:

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Matt Faddes, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Ian Madigan, John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Sam Carter (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Jordi Murphy, Marcell Coetzee.

Replacements: John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Tom O’Toole, David O’Connor, Matty Rea, Alby Mathewson, Stewart Moore, Craig Gilroy.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No 10 on the bench, so must be Lowry covering.

awec wrote: »
    No 10 on the bench, so must be Lowry covering.

Yep...all bases are covered

Matthewson covers 9

Lowry covers 10

Stockdale, Faddes and Gilroy can cover full back

Gilroy covers wing

Moore and Faddes cover centre

Toulouse’s huge pack and a 6/2 split gonna be a route one game.

Our loose head depth is dire...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has Warwick been playing at all recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

If ever there was a time for Coetzee to earn his corn, it's not scoring four tries against Zebre, it's tomorrow.

We know who we're missing, and what they would have brought.

It's a shame there's only 500 fans allowed in - a full house would have been a bit of a leveller.

SUFTUM

awec wrote: »
    Has Warwick been playing at all recently?

Played his first game since 2019 last week, in fairness he went ok considering. But completely different game this week.

launish116 wrote: »
    Played his first game since 2019 last week, in fairness he went ok considering. But completely different game this week.

He can scrummage ok, doesn't do much else though

If ever there was a time for Coetzee to earn his corn, it's not scoring four tries against Zebre, it's tomorrow.

We know who we're missing, and what they would have brought.

It's a shame there's only 500 fans allowed in - a full house would have been a bit of a leveller.

SUFTUM

Haven't seen the Toulouse team...but Im wondering whether this is the year the French teams really dominate in Europe. No hostile crowds at away grounds will help them a lot.

I think Ulster could find it tough tomorrow night to be honest.

• Advertisement

Ramos at 10, Ntamack at 12 For Toulouse. I'd say they want to play some rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Is Jack McGrath injured? He can't have fallen that far back, surely?

Really haven’t got any continuity out of him, if we hadn’t EOS we’d truely be fecked.

Injured.

Although I do wonder if there's concern about O'Toole's fitness - I think Warwick is ambipropsterous? As a pure LH, surely McCall is ahead of Warwick?

Injured.

Although I do wonder if there's concern about O'Toole's fitness - I think Warwick is ambipropsterous? As a pure LH, surely McCall is ahead of Warwick?

I’m thinking O’Toole is there for his mobility and playing to a game plan. Hoping to see a lot more of Milasovich over Xmas.

GAME DAY LET'S SMACK SOME FRENCH BOTTOMS

Murphy has been withdrawn and Jones on bench. Rea snr to start.

launish116 wrote: »
    Murphy has been withdrawn and Jones on bench. Rea snr to start.

Feel bad for Murph, but don't feel the team will suffer unduly.

Ulster ‘A’ team to play Munster ‘A’ at Kingspan Stadium, Saturday 12 December, 4.30pm:

(15-9) Ethan McIlroy, Conor Rankin, Ben Moxham, Hayden Hyde, Aaron Sexton, Bill Johnston, Lewis Finlay;

(1-8) Callum Reid, Adam McBurney, Ross Kane, Cormac Izuchukwu, Conor McMenamin, David McCann (Capt.), Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: James McCormick, Kyle McCall, Gareth Milasinovich, Harry Sheridan, George Saunderson, Nathan Doak, Bruce Houston, Bradley Roberts.

Updates on Twitter

• Advertisement

Thoughts:

Encouraged to see McCann captaining.
    Disappointing not to see Allison but this is obviously, for the most part, a "next cab off the rank" selection. The only exceptions I can see being Reid starting ahead of McCall and no Shanahan. And that's because we need Reid, one of the second rows and one of the scrumhalves to start jostling for games in the Pro14.
    Glad to see Bradley Roberts there. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Thoughts:

Disappointing not to see Allison but this is obviously, for the most part, a "next cab off the rank" selection. The only exceptions I can see being Reid starting ahead of McCall and no Shanahan. And that's because we need Reid, one of the second rows and one of the scrumhalves to start jostling for games in the Pro14.

Do you know much about how the seconds rows or scumhalf is rated?

Thoughts:

Maybe Allison is injured, but I wonder if he isn't as highly rated as we think.

There are a couple of interesting names on the bench...

George Saunderson - I thought he was a prop? It looks like he is back row cover. Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.

Harry Sheridan? Never heard of him. Anyone know anything?

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Do you know much about how the seconds rows or scumhalf is rated?

Both scrum halfs are well thought of.

Lewis Finlay was the Ireland 20s 9 last season, and was MOTM in one of the games

I haven't seen Nathan Doak play but he seems to be very highly rated. Played 9 for Ulster A when still at school last season.

Not sure about the second rows. Izuchukwu came up for Leinster during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

bilston wrote: »

There are a couple of interesting names on the bench...

George Saunderson - I thought he was a prop? It looks like he is back row cover. Maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.

Harry Sheridan? Never heard of him. Anyone know anything?

Sheridan is a u20 lock/blindside.. plays for trinity but came through Sullivan I think..

Saunderson is a prop.

Finlay was very good for the U20s - snappy, accurate delivery, good trailing support lines, fast.

Doak is a Big Deal, and was heralded as such a few years back - whether as a nine or ten, no-one seems to be 100% sure.

Izzy was the 7s player that had been playing second row in Scotland.

Saunderson's highly rated as well.

bilston wrote: »

Really hope that isn’t the case! Have high hopes of a McCann, Allison, Rea jnr back row someday! He does seem to feature in the senior training pics quite abit.

Toulouse are ready

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Thoughts:

Is that x3 hookers? Mcb, mcc, br?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Is that x3 hookers? Mcb, mcc, br?

Yes

Advertisement