Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd be amazed if Coetzee stays longer than his current contract...in fact part of me thinks it's 50/50 he stays beyond this season...that's just a gut feeling.

If we can't afford him, then we can't afford him. I reckon the IRFU priority will be spending its money on IQ players.

Of course there are big NIQs at Munster as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awec wrote: »
    Trim that obscene D4 squad and there'll be plenty of cash to keep us competitive.

If the IRFU tell us we need to ditch Coetzee then I am officially done because this game is completely rigged.

Bizarre take.

Kearney, McFadden, Tomane, Aungier, Salanoa, barry Daly. All gone since the end of last season. One loan signing as cover at TH. There has been plenty of trimming going on.

Fardy and maybe one or two others will go next June too and I don't see any high profile signings happening.

bilston wrote: »

Both DDA and RGS signed pre pandemic. Doubt they go ahead if contracts were not signed by then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Bizarre take.

Kearney, McFadden, Tomane, Aungier, Salanoa, barry Daly. All gone since the end of last season. One loan signing as cover at TH. There has been plenty of trimming going on.

Fardy and maybe one or two others will go next June too and I don't see any high profile signings happening.

Both DDA and RGS signed pre pandemic. Doubt they go ahead if contracts were not signed by then.

Kearney, McFadden, Tomane, Aungier, Salanoa, barry Daly
    1 player of to OZ who wasn't guaranteed starting anymore, 1 retirement, 1 never central to how Leinster play, 3 squad depth.
    Not the same as the player almost everything good comes from and can and has literally single handedly kept his team in matches

Kearney, McFadden, Tomane, Aungier, Salanoa, barry Daly
    1 player of to OZ who wasn't guaranteed starting anymore, 1 retirement, 1 never central to how Leinster play, 3 squad depth.
    Not the same as the player almost everything good comes from and can and has literally single handedly kept his team in matches

is that a valid reason to punish Leinster because Ulster are so utterly dependent on one player then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

is that a valid reason to punish Leinster because Ulster are so utterly dependent on one player then?

Oh no! Leinster are going to lose squad players again and win every game the following season! Nooooooooooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

I'd be amazed if Coetzee stays longer than his current contract...in fact part of me thinks it's 50/50 he stays beyond this season...that's just a gut feeling.

If we can't afford him, then we can't afford him. I reckon the IRFU priority will be spending its money on IQ players.

Wouldn’t be grudge him a pay day or the opportunity to return to South Africa. As you say if we can’t afford him and in the current climate a buyout might be seen as a must.

Contract situation below and what such saving might be used for: (Credit to Richardt84 on UAFC below)

Senior contracts due to expire in 2021
    Rob Herring
    Iain Henderson
    Kieran Treadwell
    Alby Mathewson
    Ian Madigan
    Luke Marshall
    Angus Curtis
    Craig Gilroy
    Louis Ludik

Senior contracts potentially due to expire in 2021
    Eric O’Sullivan
    Andrew Warwick
    John Andrew
    Adam McBurney
    Ross Kane
    Gareth Milasinovich
    Alan O’Connor
    David O’Connor
    Sam Carter
    Greg Jones
    Nick Timoney
    Marcus Rea
    Dave Shanahan
    Bill Johnston
    Michael Lowry
    Matt Faddes
    Robert Baloucoune

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

You say punish I say treat other team's like Leinster. Leinster moved heaven and earth to get Johnny back from France mad pay deals backed up by outside backers. Have the highest amount of payroll help due to centrally contracted player's yeah a bit of an even playing field wouldn't go amiss

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The IRFU are not pumping money into Leinster. That’s hilariously sour and childish.

More international standard players will leave Leinster, like Murphy and McGrath, and I’m sure it’ll go totally unnoticed unless they’re tall handsome South Africans (maybe we can repackage Van Der Flier)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You say punish I say treat other team's like Leinster. Leinster moved heaven and earth to get Johnny back from France mad pay deals backed up by outside backers. Have the highest amount of payroll help due to centrally contracted player's yeah a bit of an even playing field wouldn't go amiss

Sorry, if Leinster are getting outside backers to help them with Sexton, how exactly does that affect the IRFUs playing budget unfairly?

Surely Coetzee is the highest paid NIQ in the country (unless he has an atrocious agent)

• Advertisement

Munster signed two Springbok RWC winners.

Leinster got Ciaran Parker on a 3 month loan

But yeah Coetzee leaving Ulster if he is pushed is somehow Leinsters fault.

launish116 wrote: »
    Wouldn’t be grudge him a pay day or the opportunity to return to South Africa. As you say if we can’t afford him and in the current climate a buyout might be seen as a must.

Contract situation below and what such saving might be used for: (Credit to Richardt84 on UAFC below)

Senior contracts due to expire in 2021
    Rob Herring
    Iain Henderson
    Kieran Treadwell
    Alby Mathewson
    Ian Madigan
    Luke Marshall
    Angus Curtis
    Craig Gilroy
    Louis Ludik

Senior contracts potentially due to expire in 2021
    Eric O’Sullivan
    Andrew Warwick
    John Andrew
    Adam McBurney
    Ross Kane
    Gareth Milasinovich
    Alan O’Connor
    David O’Connor
    Sam Carter
    Greg Jones
    Nick Timoney
    Marcus Rea
    Dave Shanahan
    Bill Johnston
    Michael Lowry
    Matt Faddes
    Robert Baloucoune

Frankly those contracts are more important than Coetzee's! He's good, but he can't cover 15 positions!

Frankly those contracts are more important than Coetzee's! He's good, but he can't cover 15 positions!

All going to be about sustainability going forward.

Be some more fat cut this season.

Really can’t justify a NIQ in backline with our current academy talent emerging anymore.

Going to be a serious push to maximise return from academy going forward, combined with interprovincial movement.

Munster signed two Springbok RWC winners.

Leinster got Ciaran Parker on a 3 month loan

But yeah Coetzee leaving Ulster if he is pushed is somehow Leinsters fault.

Leinster don't need more players. You can't win more than every game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Leinster didn't win every game they played last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bayern wrote: »
    Leinster didn't win every game they played last season.

True. Choked when it mattered.

All going to be about sustainability going forward.

Be some more fat cut this season.

Really can’t justify a NIQ in backline with our current academy talent emerging anymore.

Going to be a serious push to maximise return from academy going forward, combined with interprovincial movement.

Yeah, I would be surprised if Faddes got a new contract, although he has been better this year, but we have loads of talent coming through in the backs.

Ludik will probably retire.

Angus Curtis may be under pressure to get a new contract, maybe even Craig Gilroy, although personally I'd keep him on. I'm undecided on Matthewson.

Herring, Henderson, Treadwell, Madigan and Marshall should all get new contracts, although Luke's injury is a worry.

Of the bottom list I'd want most of them kept on.

If Faddes, Ludik, Curtis and Mathewson moved on that would save a good whack of cash. But we'd probably need to replace Matthewson, which is why I'm undecided on him. Will Finlay or Doak be ready to step up next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

But is that enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Yeah, I would be surprised if Faddes got a new contract, although he has been better this year, but we have loads of talent coming through in the backs.

Ludik will probably retire.

Angus Curtis may be under pressure to get a new contract, maybe even Craig Gilroy, although personally I'd keep him on. I'm undecided on Matthewson.

Herring, Henderson, Treadwell, Madigan and Marshall should all get new contracts, although Luke's injury is a worry.

Of the bottom list I'd want most of them kept on.

If Faddes, Ludik, Curtis and Mathewson moved on that would save a good whack of cash. But we'd probably need to replace Matthewson, which is why I'm undecided on him. Will Finlay or Doak be ready to step up next season?

Faddes just hasn't made the impact I hoped he would given what money he is probably on. He's a good player but money needs to be invested a little more intelligently now.

Don't think Matthewson was ever supposed to be here long term anyway, so I'd be happy enough with him leaving even if that means Shanahan is second choice for another year. Finlay and Doak should be fine as third choice 9's. Don't think Hugh O'Sullivan in Leinster or Nick McCarthy in Munster have been great third choice options either, although the other provinces all have good second choice 9's available, so it's less of a worry for them.

Curtis couldn't be on a lot of money given he graduated from the academy last year. I wouldn't be surprised if he's kept on as he can cover 10 in a pinch, but wouldn't be upset if he looked elsewhere.

Curtis could be, clearly a talented guy just looking like size wise he isn't going to cope at senior level.

Mathewson has just turned 35, he has been very good for us and possibly one year to help mentor and bring Finlay on is what is needed. Shanahan is almost a hinderance now in academy development.

I really like Faddes, he has improved and has the talent. Though he just can't seem to catch a break, made two big mistakes against Toulose. If it was a case of resigning him or Gilroy. I think his versality might pinch it and be a replacement for Ludik until more of the academy solidify their position.

McGrath is causing me concern, we really aren't getting value for money. He is a shadow of his former self, rarely making back to back games or fit. In comparison to Moore who has I think x3 the Ulster Caps.

Wonder will we have a slimmed down academy intake this year and catch up next year, due to lack of game time and player on show.

• Advertisement

I don't think we're paying for McGrath - Did he not effectively "transfer" while on a central contract?

I don't think we're paying for McGrath - Did he not effectively "transfer" while on a central contract?

potentially, though nothing in life is free lol.

Really hope Reid makes an appearance over Xmas.

We pushed O'Toole on even when his scrummaging was suspect and look at him now. Hopefully Dan can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

potentially, though nothing in life is free lol.

Really hope Reid makes an appearance over Xmas.

We pushed O'Toole on even when his scrummaging was suspect and look at him now. Hopefully Dan can do the same.

How is Reid rated?

I think a major concern for us is the lack of second rows. I find it difficult to believe we cannot produce one local second row. Are there no decent rows coming out of the schools?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    How is Reid rated?

I think a major concern for us is the lack of second rows. I find it difficult to believe we cannot produce one local second row. Are there no decent rows coming out of the schools?!

not recently.. Harry Sheridan is a good play but small for a modern pro lock.

Irvine at Wallace is someone with a lot of potential he is years away realistically.

Did I imagine it, or did the scrums look a bit more stable with O'Toole on Friday night?

If O'Toole becomes a top scrummager then we have one hell of a player on our hands, because the rest of his game is top level.

If Leinster deny a Coetzee extension so they can bloat their squad, it would be a disgrace.

What about #TeamOfUs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If Leinster deny a Coetzee extension so they can bloat their squad, it would be a disgrace.

What about #TeamOfUs?

I have it on good authority that Leinster are taking the Coetzee money so they can buy more of Connacht's best players that came from Munster.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that Leinster are taking the Coetzee money so they can buy more of Connacht's best players that came from Munster.

Leinster Rugby: History's Greatest Monsters

Is #TeamOfUs really #TeamLeinster?

How far does this conspiracy go?

• Advertisement

Did I imagine it, or did the scrums look a bit more stable with O'Toole on Friday night?

If O'Toole becomes a top scrummager then we have one hell of a player on our hands, because the rest of his game is top level.

Had DOC behind him for a few scrums also. They had subbed their starter though, but was thinking the same.
    How is Reid rated?

Not sure, but we can only work with what we have. Can he be that big a drop off from Warwick etc? (O'toole is only 4 months older). I just can't understand why Dan hasn't literally forced him to push on, he doesn't seem like one to suffer fools.

Advertisement