Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Connacht A v Ulster A 19 all.

Cormac Izuchukwu - 1 tries

Sexton - 2 tries

Think we missed a penalty and conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

launish116 wrote: »
    Connacht A v Ulster A 19 all.

Cormac Izuchukwu - 1 tries

Sexton - 2 tries

Think we missed a penalty and conversion

Is that the final score?

bilston wrote: »
    Is that the final score?

Yes Sexton scored in dieing minutes to make all tied.

Yes Sexton scored in dieing minutes to make all tied.

Bit of a disappointing result, but good to hear Sexton is still scoring tries for fun

Bit of a disappointing result, but good to hear Sexton is still scoring tries for fun

Seems like our kicking let us down, if converted we would of won. Think Connacht were expecting an easy win and that was a strong side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Seems like our kicking let us down, if converted we would of won. Think Connacht were expecting an easy win and that was a strong side.

Really young team though. Three U20s starting, two U19s. Away from home, that's a very decent result.

Really young team though. Three U20s starting, two U19s. Away from home, that's a very decent result.

Indeed! Promising looking! Is that the end of the A games for a few weeks?

Speaking of young bucks, McIlroy has, without fanfare, made it to the bench for a European game. No-one's concerned.

I know we get pretty vexed about the forwards, but our backs production is excellent.

Speaking of young bucks, McIlroy has, without fanfare, made it to the bench for a European game. No-one's concerned.

I know we get pretty vexed about the forwards, but our backs production is excellent.

See that being the end of Gilroy? In fairness McIlroy didn’t look overly phased in his games for being so fresh.

See that being the end of Gilroy? In fairness McIlroy didn’t look overly phased in his games for being so fresh.

Hes looked right at home at Pro14 level...will be interestong to see how he does at Champions Cup level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Ulster A draw 19-19 with Connacht Eagles.

Indeed! Promising looking! Is that the end of the A games for a few weeks?

Tomorrow is the end of rugby for a few weeks!

Tomorrow is the end of rugby for a few weeks!

True, shame was looking forward to seeing more of the academy.

On other hand might send a full strength team to Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

jacothelad wrote: »
    Like the IRFU dumped the Bank of Ireland after they destroyed the lives of their customers by stealing their money and their homes and on more than one occasion driving people to take their own lives. Oh, hang on that can't be right,,,is it?

Like they say Jaco...money talks and bullshít walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Obviously EVERYONE has to wait until the inquiry is over before decisions can be made. We're only on phase 2 right now with no end date prescribed.

Kingspan themselves may not survive the final judgement, or may require a huge rebranding themselves.

And at the end of the day, they knowingly falsified test results.... So it's hard for anyone to have any sympathy for them.

This. The IRFU did nothing with the Belfast trial until after it was all done and dusted. Crying foul and hypocrisy now is premature.

molloyjh wrote: »
    This. The IRFU did nothing with the Belfast trial until after it was all done and dusted. Crying foul and hypocrisy now is premature.

Well, they issued a statement in July '17 when news broke and suspended them. Apples and oranges, I know, and I presume they felt like they had no choice, but to say they "did nothing" is just wrong.

I'm not aware of any statement concerning Kingspan. Or that the IRFU has addressed the fact that it's happening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Well, they issued a statement in July '17 when news broke and suspended them. Apples and oranges, I know, and I presume they felt like they had no choice, but to say they "did nothing" is just wrong.

I'm not aware of any statement concerning Kingspan. Or that the IRFU has addressed the fact that it's happening

The news broke a long tíme before that.

IRFU only stood them down when they were officially charged but prior to that Jackson had to miss the Chicago game and the 2017 test vs USA because he couldn't enter the country.

So they got a full season of rugby with the allegations hanging over them. It was only when they became formal charges that IRFU could act.

So according to the Belfast Telegraph the Connacht and Munster matches WILL go ahead as scheduled. I'm confused...but then when it comes to the restrictions these days that shouldn't be a surprise:D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

So according to the Belfast Telegraph the Connacht and Munster matches WILL go ahead as scheduled. I'm confused...but then when it comes to the restrictions these days that shouldn't be a surprise:D

Good stuff. Quite right.

I'm not putting the blame for todays defeat on the shoulders of Ethan McIlroy in any way, shape or form (I'd be a lot more annoyed about Rea's knock on)...but in a parallel universe I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Michael Lowry had still be on the pitch.

I raised an eyebrow when I saw him replaced (maybe there was an injury)...but thats two weeks in a row where potentially what seem like preordained substitutions (Andrew for Herring and McIlroy for Lowry) have been arguably costly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am surprisingly unbothered by the result. I think the competition is going to be such a mess this year that it's not annoying me. We'll have learnt a lot from today.

The most annoying thing is that it has put us in an awkward position. The euro games are of no value now, in an ideal world we'd just throw them. If there was a lockdown that meant we didn't have to play them that would be ideal.

But we won't want to lose at home, and we won't want to send lambs to the slaughter in Toulouse, so we have to waste our time with these two fixtures playing for absolutely nothing but pride, likely causing us to play weakened teams in the league games that may actually still matter over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

awec wrote: »
    I am surprisingly unbothered by the result. I think the competition is going to be such a mess this year that it's not annoying me. We'll have learnt a lot from today.

The most annoying thing is that it has put us in an awkward position. The euro games are of no value now, in an ideal world we'd just throw them. If there was a lockdown that meant we didn't have to play them that would be ideal.

But we won't want to lose at home, and we won't want to send lambs to the slaughter in Toulouse, so we have to waste our time with these two fixtures playing for absolutely nothing but pride, likely causing us to play weakened teams in the league games that may actually still matter over Christmas.

You have a top two finish basically guaranteed in league. May as well give the challenge cup a go. May not be the biggest cup but still silverware and an achievement to win. Think you'd be among the favourites for it and it could even be beneficial in terms of having some competitive games before play offs.

I'm not putting the blame for todays defeat on the shoulders of Ethan McIlroy in any way, shape or form (I'd be a lot more annoyed about Rea's knock on)...but in a parallel universe I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Michael Lowry had still be on the pitch.

I raised an eyebrow when I saw him replaced (maybe there was an injury)...but thats two weeks in a row where potentially what seem like preordained substitutions (Andrew for Herring and McIlroy for Lowry) have been arguably costly.

Really don’t think it would of made any difference in that position. If anything Lowry might of been swatted aside. McIlroy was in the right place, if anything ball was passed at him. Not much he could of done.

Last nights failure was lack for faith in forwards on bench.

Anyway with the on going COVID crisis financially with no supporters etc. Overheads and no tickets/sales etc. Hosting these games is surely costing us? A couple of knock out games likely would been of any extreme benefit? Maybe I’m completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Me neither, it's defo a case of the elephant in the room that is not being spoken about, Ulster and IRFU supporters are not talking about it pretty much at all.

Maybe if Ulster rugby took a pro active approach to the greedy and disrepectful actions of their main sponsor by dumping them the world rugby players would take note.

That sort of backbone would be very appealing to some classy players no doubt, lads who want to play for something other than money.

First move is with the fans and players, management are giving the impression they are going to ride this one out.

ulster-rugby.jpg

Seanergy wrote: »
    First move is with the fans and players, management are giving the impression they are going to ride this one out.

Is that the the case? Or a case of you’re just not hearing what you want to hear?

I would expect an official line when things are concluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Seanergy wrote: »
    Me neither, it's defo a case of the elephant in the room that is not being spoken about, Ulster and IRFU supporters are not talking about it pretty much at all.

Maybe if Ulster rugby took a pro active approach to the greedy and disrepectful actions of their main sponsor by dumping them the world rugby players would take note.

That sort of backbone would be very appealing to some classy players no doubt, lads who want to play for something other than money.

ulster-rugby.jpg

I am not really into cancel culture or pre-judging courts. Personally I will wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

I am no really into cancel culture or pre-judging courts. Personally I will wait.

i am sure the massive corporation appreciates your concern over their “cancellation”.

i am sure the massive corporation appreciates your concern over their “cancellation”.

More a case of folk maybe being on this thread to discuss Ulster’s rugby not the revelations of a 3rd party business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

More a case of folk maybe being on this thread to discuss Ulster’s rugby not the revelations of a 3rd party business.

i think if he meant that then he probably would have said that and not something completely different.

• Advertisement

i think if he meant that then he probably would have said that and not something completely different.

Regardless think my point still stands, majority our here to discuss the rugby not the actions of a 3rd party business. And I mean no disrespect to individuals/families affected by the tragedy.

I don’t want to get into a whole debate about cancel culture, social media pressure, players & management speaking out...

Can we not just stick to the rugby....by god Ulster have a lot of talking points to discuss!

Advertisement