Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

jacothelad wrote: »
    Frizzel is not an uncommon name in N.I. I wonder if he has any ancestry there.

I wasn't sure if he was hinting that as well, didn't want to get myself excited.

Frizzel seems to be falling behind in the pecking order now but would be just what we need. If money is attractive enough then I'm sure a fringe squad player might move.

Marino Kilaele Tu’u is fantastic, although I might have been guilty of hyping up our last Highlander only for him to be less than ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

jacothelad wrote: »
    Personally I have always thought Ruddock would be a great signing for Ulster and for him. We'd get a great player, a great leader and a great captain. I wouldn't care which position he played but he'd be such an asset.

Couldn’t agree more. 30 now if he saw out his time at Ulster would give us time to bring forward academy players. Almost take him over an offer of Deegan.

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Deegan is not the answer to any of our questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Subscribers Posts: 41,494 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    Deegan is not the answer to any of our questions.

If you don't have a rich sugar daddy owner, then money is not the answer to your questions either.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/jp_petrie/status/1342845625201811457?s=21

Little bit of blame be placed there! Can’t begrudge him if he wants to return home! Or fault his effort in the past for Ulster! As frustrating as it is a fan.

I'm not sure how wise it is to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭bilston

launish116 wrote: »

Little bit of blame be placed there! Can’t begrudge him if he wants to return home! Or fault his effort in the past for Ulster! As frustrating as it is a fan.

Jeepers...that's a pretty damming indictment of Coetzee..

To be fair it is true that Coetzee has been great for us, but let's not forget his first two years when Ulster stood by him. I can understand the frustration to be honest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

This tweet will definitely come back to haunt Ulster rugby in the future. Candor's always appreciated, but participants in future negotiations are going to be wondering at what point this guy will be hanging out the dirty washing in public. Very amateur.

I'm not sure how wise it is to say that.

Kinda thought it was poor form myself, regardless of how it has turned out.

• Advertisement

If it’s not finance related then I look forward to us signing a replacement of similar standard and not some Leinster cast off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

This is a terrible look for Ulster rugby, so incredibly unprofessional. Absolutely bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Just seemed to be a bit homesick and made a family focused decision. Best of luck to him.

I get that he felt like he needed to say something, and imo there isn't a problem with saying that it's a player driven move, but he could've adjusted the tone a bit. Just thank him for the effort and comment that the opportunity of going home to SA was too great for him to pass up.

If his tweet is true and this wasn't a cost cutting thing, then I'm hoping the Bulls had to pay a fare sum instead of just taking his contract off the books. The question is how to reinvest. If we're looking down south then Josh Murphy, Deegan and Conan seem to be the most popular choices. Murphy would be my favourite player to target, brings a lot of what we lack. Not sure how we would shuffle the backrow - Rea or Reidy to 8 probably. Deegan seems to be controversial on here but I would've taken him in a heartbeat before the ACL injury - can play across the backrow better than everyone else available in those positions. Conan isn't the ball carrier that Coetzee was but he'd be an upgrade on anything we have.

I also realised that Kazuki Himeno signed for the Highlanders this year, but I'm not sure for how long. One of the best backrowers about right now imo, still young, and brings what we had in Coetzee - a ball carrier and turnover threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

In the 5 years coetzee has been here we still couldn't produce a European Cup class back row! But heres another 15 centre's!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Petrie was dead right. The Bulls set fire to the rule book on professionalism and general courtesy so fnxk them, and Coetzee too.

The Ulster fans are not renowned for giving management the benefit of the doubt about, well, anything, so I'm sure there was lots of negative speculation about his reasons for leaving.

Why should Ulster be left looking like saps? Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Petrie was dead right. The Bulls set fire to the rule book on professionalism and general courtesy so fnxk them, and Coetzee too.

The Ulster fans are not renowned for giving management the benefit of the doubt about, well, anything, so I'm sure there was lots of negative speculation about his reasons for leaving.

Shut up idiot,player wants to go home so let him.that’s what happens when u buy foreign.he owe ulster nothing.put he’s body on the line every game.

If Coetzee was phoning it in, that's one thing. His performances this season have suggested nothing but commitment. John Afoa, he is not.

It's a strange course of events. This move was talked about for a while months ago I think and then this very tacky timing from the Bulls came from nowhere. Very low brow stuff from them.

The terms of the departure haven't been reported on either. If Ulster are getting a settlement (why would they let Coetzee walk for free?!) then I don't see Coetzee as much of the villain here as some think.

Spot on.

Screw the Bulls and screw Coetzee, Ulster stood by him during serious injury. He has been amazing, but he also signed a contract til 2022 that he’s now backing out of.

Nothing wrong with a spade being called a spade. This is bollocks, and Ulster are absolutely right to point out they’re annoyed. It’s either that or look like idiots being taken for soft touches.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Shut up idiot,player wants to go home so let him.that’s what happens when u buy foreign.he owe ulster nothing.put he’s body on the line every game.

At the very least he owes Ulster the remainder of the contract he signed to play for them after they stood by him through serious injury.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with Petrie making a point here. Might make things awkward in the squad!

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    In the 5 years coetzee has been here we still couldn't produce a European Cup class back row! But heres another 15 centre's!!!

Pretty much sums up Ulster

At the very least he owes Ulster the remainder of the contract he signed to play for them after they stood by him through serious injury.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with Petrie making a point here. Might make things awkward in the squad!

He should be flogged between now and the end of the season. And if he starts phoning it in name him in every single A squad there is and flog him there instead.

May as well get our moneys worth the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

awec wrote: »
    Spot on.

Screw the Bulls and screw Coetzee, Ulster stood by him during serious injury. He has been amazing, but he also signed a contract til 2022 that he’s now backing out of.

Nothing wrong with a spade being called a spade. This is bollocks, and Ulster are absolutely right to point out they’re annoyed. It’s either that or look like idiots being taken for soft touches.

Call a spade a spade,ulster are guilty of tapping up numerous players whilst still under contract.u had no issue when he left the sharks before the end of hes contract but now it’s a problem cos it’s happened to u??u a ****inh muppet.and yes I know I’ll get a ban from this but honestly who cares whenever someone talks about Ireland or Ireland players that the so called mods don’t agree with them lads get bans and so on.so stick it Uk ur arse u prick

mod: banned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OldRio

He just can't help himself. Sigh. Time after time after time after time after time.

All will be forgiven if:

(1) Ulster get paid
    (2) Ulster can somehow sign a similar level/profile of player. A backup player at another province won't do.

All will be forgiven if:

(1) Ulster get paid
    (2) Ulster can somehow sign a similar level/profile of player. A backup player at another province won't do.

We'll get Scott Fardy and we'll damn well like it.

This is a terrible look for Ulster rugby, so incredibly unprofessional. Absolutely bizarre.

Why? Ulster paid him a lot of money for very little return for two years...and then he asks to break his next contract after playing one and a half seasons out of four. Personally I can see why Petrie is pretty angry.

I originally thought it was a finance issue and that Ulstet were reluctantly letting him go to balance the books...but that clearly isn't what is happening here.

At the end of the day it's his career, so he has to do what is right for himself and his family, but Ulster can still be a bit annoyed. Plus the way the Bulls announced it will be a sore point as well...actually it hacked me right off! Not that the Bulls will care about the sensitivities of Ulster fans!

Have to say many of my fellow Ulster fans on here seem to be bigger people than me! I have to say I'm a little less forgiving of Coetzee in all of this, but as I say it's his career so fair enough he will do what he has to do. But I still think Ulster have done a lot for him so it will be a sore point.

bilston wrote: »
    Have to say many of my fellow Ulster fans on here seem to be bigger people than me! I have to say I'm a little less forgiving of Coetzee in all of this, but as I say it's his career so fair enough he will do what he has to do. But I still think Ulster have done a lot for him so it will be a sore point.

Sure it could be worse, we could be in for a hammering tomorrow as well.

• Advertisement

Sure it could be worse, we could be in for a hammering tomorrow as well.

And when our back row get manshamed against Connacht it will merely illustrate the point more.

Professional sport for you...Ulster are no angels either.

I still don't understand why McCann isn't getting more of a chance.

Advertisement