Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,366 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Quality flop over the line there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Last 3 lineouts have been very suspect.

Hard to call any of them straight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

yeah I saw 2 that were off a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Several have been miles off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Reid's try was something else, if he gets his scrummaging right he could be a proper player.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not really reflected in the scoreline but that was a bit men against boys at times. You could tell Ulster had a much more experienced side out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

awec wrote: »
    It's not really reflected in the scoreline but that was a bit men against boys at times. You could tell Ulster had a much more experienced side out.

But they had Lions captain elect Ryan Baird!

Why would you post that awec? Let the Leinster fans whinge about that!

But they had Lions captain elect Ryan Baird!

That must make McCann World XV captain elect then

Hayden Hyde looks a very good player.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Why would you post that awec? Let the Leinster fans whinge about that!

Ah I'm delighted that the products of the Leinster mega money were given a good hiding. They'll be crying into their carafes of don perignon all the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

The lad from Tullamore playing for Ulster has bulked up since the last time I saw him on the 7's team

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ah I'm delighted that the products of the Leinster mega money were given a good hiding. They'll be crying into their carafes of don perignon all the way home.

Yeah I'll take that. We really made them look ordinary and not the future internationals that we're continually reminded that they will be!!

Joking aside I have to say it was great to see Ulster forwards actually come out on top in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

How is Sexton progressing? I've never seem him play, but running a 10s 100m doesn't come along very often

mfceiling wrote: »
    Yeah I'll take that. We really made them look ordinary and not the future internationals that we're continually reminded that they will be!!

Joking aside I have to say it was great to see Ulster forwards actually come out on top in a game.

Johnson looked like what he was - aa senior player getting some game time.

But other than him, the most impressive performances were from actual young guns - McCann (especially), Izzy, Reid, Sexton, both centres. Doak was a bit ponderous at times, but his execution was very good : some great work with the boot.

The. forwards were all comfortable with the off-loading,, skillful, zippy game we have been moving towards. Interplay was great.

Some smart play, some great reading of the game.

We looked much more composed than Leinster. More focussed.

Shame Stewart is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Johnson looked like what he was - aa senior player getting some game time.

But other than him, the most impressive performances were from actual young guns - McCann (especially), Izzy, Reid, Sexton, both centres. Doak was a bit ponderous at times, but his execution was very good : some great work with the boot.

The. forwards were all comfortable with the off-loading,, skillful, zippy game we have been moving towards. Interplay was great.

Some smart play, some great reading of the game.

We looked much more composed than Leinster. More focussed.

Shame Stewart is injured.

Thought Sheridan played well. Rea was good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Wow that was a great game. Would love to see Bill Johnston get a little more game time in the seniors, I love how much better our A's look with him running things, but he should be playing 1XV rugby somewhere I reckon.

Izzy was the standout I suppose considering we're crying out for a decent academy 2nd row. Has the size and took contact well, that's a better starting point than most Ulster academy locks. McCann the other standout forward - good skillset and was decent in contact despite not being the biggest or strongest. Think he'll be great alongside a good carrying 8.

Callum Reid's try was something else, definitely think he has a future with us. Scrum improved when he came on actually, but I'm not sure how many changes Leinster had made then.

I feel Sheridan and McMenamin are very similar players, neither big enough for the row and senior level. Think Sheridan came off better today, looked handy enough.

Wasn't as impressed with Doak as others, kicking was obliviously good. Just too slow getting to the rucks and getting the ball out at times and ponderous sometimes when he picked it up. Very young in a tough position though. Would've liked to see a little more of Finlay.

Hyde was good most of the time I, but I reckon he'll struggle for game time over other young centres in the club. Carson wasn't bad but looked very much like an u19 player, a little slow as well - I think it was Leinster's 7 that skipped by him down the touchline?

Nice to see Rankin have a decent game, might be tough seeing other back three players in the academy make debuts ahead of you. Played ok, looked quite tall and quick enough. Moxham had a similar game I think, don't think he has the skill set of Rankin but looks a very physical lad, should have a decent chance of an academy place now I reckon. Sexton is lightning that much is obvious and didn't look too out of place at 15, but didn't really have to do a lot of the stuff that makes a fullback - not many high balls contested or last man tackles to be made. Lots of good athletes in the backs but struggle with the pack, at least we're consistent lol.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Thought Sheridan played well. Rea was good also.

Yeah, true in both cases. Although RayJay is 22, 23 now? You'd hope he'd look impressive.

Wow that was a great game. Would love to see Bill Johnston get a little more game time in the seniors, I love how much better our A's look with him running things, but he should be playing 1XV rugby somewhere I reckon.

Izzy was the standout I suppose considering we're crying out for a decent academy 2nd row. Has the size and took contact well, that's a better starting point than most Ulster academy locks. McCann the other standout forward - good skillset and was decent in contact despite not being the biggest or strongest. Think he'll be great alongside a good carrying 8.

Callum Reid's try was something else, definitely think he has a future with us. Scrum improved when he came on actually, but I'm not sure how many changes Leinster had made then.

I feel Sheridan and McMenamin are very similar players, neither big enough for the row and senior level. Think Sheridan came off better today, looked handy enough.

Wasn't as impressed with Doak as others, kicking was obliviously good. Just too slow getting to the rucks and getting the ball out at times and ponderous sometimes when he picked it up. Very young in a tough position though. Would've liked to see a little more of Finlay.

Hyde was good most of the time I, but I reckon he'll struggle for game time over other young centres in the club. Carson wasn't bad but looked very much like an u19 player, a little slow as well - I think it was Leinster's 7 that skipped by him down the touchline?

Nice to see Rankin have a decent game, might be tough seeing other back three players in the academy make debuts ahead of you. Played ok, looked quite tall and quick enough. Moxham had a similar game I think, don't think he has the skill set of Rankin but looks a very physical lad, should have a decent chance of an academy place now I reckon. Sexton is lightning that much is obvious and didn't look too out of place at 15, but didn't really have to do a lot of the stuff that makes a fullback - not many high balls contested or last man tackles to be made. Lots of good athletes in the backs but struggle with the pack, at least we're consistent lol.

Agree with most of that...McCann and Sexton we know about. But of the rest Id like to see Hyde get a shot in the Pro 14 at some point. As you say Carson is U19 so it will be interesting to see how he develops. Rankin looks quite useful, he's unfortunate that he has Ethan McIlroy to contend with who IMO has test caps in him.

Sheridan carried well, again it will be interesring to see how he progresses, but Izzy was the biggest plus today, I guess he had a point to prove against Leinster, its a shame he joined us just as Willie Anderson retired, but on a separate point good to see Rory Best involved.

As I said during the match Doak could speed things up a bit at the breakdown, but again he is very young, he certainly has a good kicking game. He's obviously highly rated though. Someone like him could do with a season with the Ireland 20s.

As you say Carson is U19 so it will be interesting to see how he develops. Rankin looks quite useful, he's unfortunate that he has Ethan McIlroy to contend with who IMO has test caps in him.

Carson is well enough thought of by people who've seen a lot more of him than me. He's a tough carrier although he didn't show it today and has a decent skillset. Apparently played very well in the last interpros but I'm a little skeptical about his physical game translating to pro level given he's not the biggest or fastest. Think that was his fist A game since leaving school so plenty of time for him.

Rankin never really had much hype around him and most people thought McIlroy shoul've been in ahead of him. But he has something about him, but just suffers from playing in probably our strongest position. Similar to Kernohan in that way I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Gutted missed the game live! Good to see it’s on I player for replay tonight. Be great if they continued A games going forward!

McCormick came on towards the end, but Roberts didn't go off, and Gusher made some comment about McCormick being able to play all over the pack. Anyone any idea where he lined out?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

McCormick came on towards the end, but Roberts didn't go off, and Gusher made some comment about McCormick being able to play all over the pack. Anyone any idea where he lined out?

Pretty sure he didn’t and that it was Crothers who came on in the back row.

RuPi wrote: »
    Pretty sure he didn’t and that it was Crothers who came on in the back row.

Ah okay. Crothers was definitely on - caught the lineout for the final try. Just Gusher being Gusher.

Just struck me how consistent the A's have been this year - beat Leinster previously, although both teams had more experienced players on, and Munster who had a lot of promising talent playing. I don't think it's because the others are particularly weaker than normal (however, Leinster have been a little poor the last two games) or that we have much better prospects than usual. I'm hoping (praying) that it might signal better coaching and a change in mindset in the academy because even if you don't have 'top' prospects coming in each year a good development pathway can turn 'good' prospects into great pros.

Just struck me how consistent the A's have been this year - beat Leinster previously, although both teams had more experienced players on, and Munster who had a lot of promising talent playing. I don't think it's because the others are particularly weaker than normal (however, Leinster have been a little poor the last two games) or that we have much better prospects than usual. I'm hoping (praying) that it might signal better coaching and a change in mindset in the academy because even if you don't have 'top' prospects coming in each year a good development pathway can turn 'good' prospects into great pros.

Completely agree. Keiran Campbell hasn't been handed the U20s for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Is that not where Leinster have really scored? Ie, by really developing home grown talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Finally watched the game, what a joy to watch. Some serious potential developing.

Thought both Hayden Hyde and Ben Carson had a good partnership and looked sharp in attack. Hyde’s a handful and his offloading was great. We’re seriously going to struggle holding all this talent in the back line shortly.

Doak v Finlay is going to be good, both offer something different. Doak seems to have taken the lead though my preference is Finlay. Would love to see more of Finlay and keep letting Doak develop and not rush him at his expense.

Ross Kane how is this man a senior professional baffles me. Always seem not match fit.

Cormac Izuchukwu looks like a really diamond in the rough. Considering Dan said he was very green. Thought he was very good! Loads of potential, crisp offloading. Seems to always make yards.

Harry Sheridan, can’t say I know much about him, but he had a great game. Seems quite industrial like. If he can bulk up and step up, no reason he couldn’t at least be a decent squad player.

Marcus Rea had a great game, just needs to show that he can match that at senior level.

David McCann just keeps impressing, some engine and handling for a forward. He would really benefit from a ball carrying 8 taking up some workload and freeing him up.

Callum Reid’s try was great, can’t mind the last time Ulster had a prop steam roll over players.

All in all, was a heartening game to watch. Academy albeit with some seniors really is ticking over well. In couple of seasons we could have a serious youthful squad.

The thing I like is that we've had the schoolboy starlets like McIlroy, Sexton and McCann developing, but we've also had guys like Sheridan and Moxham who were probably a lot less heralded. That would suggest the talent ID is working quite well and that these guys are getting a decent level of coaching.

Now are there any young 10s out there?

• Advertisement

The thing I like is that we've had the schoolboy starlets like McIlroy, Sexton and McCann developing, but we've also had guys like Sheridan and Moxham who were probably a lot less heralded. That would suggest the talent ID is working quite well and that these guys are getting a decent level of coaching.

Now are there any young 10s out there?

Overall I'm not sure the coaching across Ulster schools is all that great, but at a minimum if we can improve talent ID then players from 'smaller' schools will have ulster coaches. Think Moxham is from a club background but not sure, certainly not a 'big' school. Sheridan has apparently been playing down south, so not sure we can take the credit for him.

Humphreys is training with Ireland u20's but I don't think anyone's really seen him yet, there's a video on youtube of Gloucester vs Harlequins u18 but Gloucester get smashed so you don't see much of him. There's a lad from Ballymena that's trained with Ireland u18.

Advertisement