Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Overall I'm not sure the coaching across Ulster schools is all that great, but at a minimum if we can improve talent ID then players from 'smaller' schools will have ulster coaches. Think Moxham is from a club background but not sure, certainly not a 'big' school. Sheridan has apparently been playing down south, so not sure we can take the credit for him.

Humphreys is training with Ireland u20's but I don't think anyone's really seen him yet, there's a video on youtube of Gloucester vs Harlequins u18 but Gloucester get smashed so you don't see much of him. There's a lad from Ballymena that's trained with Ireland u18.
    A lot more teachers even with 1st XV/sct in Ulster and certainly dont have financial backing that most of the leinster schools have.
    Moxham is Larne RFC
    Ulster are going right way to help improve standard of play in smaller/weaker schools. Schools cup has changed format and considering Ulster would be most traditional of all 4 provinces that says theyre doing a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Sheridan went to Sullivan and played for the Ulster U19’s last season but is studying and playing at Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Overall I'm not sure the coaching across Ulster schools is all that great, but at a minimum if we can improve talent ID then players from 'smaller' schools will have ulster coaches. Think Moxham is from a club background but not sure, certainly not a 'big' school. Sheridan has apparently been playing down south, so not sure we can take the credit for him.

Humphreys is training with Ireland u20's but I don't think anyone's really seen him yet, there's a video on youtube of Gloucester vs Harlequins u18 but Gloucester get smashed so you don't see much of him. There's a lad from Ballymena that's trained with Ireland u18.

Tbf, I have watched US for a few years now and think they were well coached - eg, Kieran Campbell and Willie Faloon. Matches v English u18 and Italy u18 sides etc as well as interpros. This year of course being an exception! The US side this year was v strong so it was unfortunate.

In terms of ID UR get a lot of stick on fb about smaller schools etc etc including one dad who posted photos of his son etc etc but the same player was with Irish underage teams and trained with NTS etc for months at UR. the 10 for the u18 clubs side last year was from a catholic school which then played in the schools cup etc. Moxham and another club player both played for the 2001 US side alongside Doak and Rankin etc.

No doubt UR could do better but personally I think they are trying pretty hard and it is showing. Why would they not want to unearth talent.

DMCF has even taken part in scrum coaching sessions etc.

Great result today.

Sorry, just realising you probably meant across the schools in Ulster, as opposed to the actual Ulster Schools team! As you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Sorry, just realising you probably meant across the schools in Ulster, as opposed to the actual Ulster Schools team! As you were.

Aye meant schools across the province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Across Ulster yeah fair point, but I was specifically talking about the Academy and Sub Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

No one seems to have mentioned those who probably have been lost to the game over last 10 months e.g. those who would have played at school this year (looks increasingly like the Schools Cup will not now take place) and may lose interest after this school year is over and those who might have played beyond school at university or at a club but have since lost interest in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No one seems to have mentioned those who probably have been lost to the game over last 10 months e.g. those who would have played at school this year (looks increasingly like the Schools Cup will not now take place) and may lose interest after this school year is over and those who might have played beyond school at university or at a club but have since lost interest in the game.
    Thats a major issue rugby has which isnt so much an issue with other sports.

If schools cups cant take place then the provinces have to work very hard and even change how next seasons competitions ate structured to keep those playing.
    The sport does need to adapt and change the complete over ending focus on the schools cups, Perhaps this could force that change for the better.

It really is a shame.

School coaches have been trying to keep the kids focused with online challenges etc but its all mickey mouse stuff sadly.

Lots of kids now trying individual sports that would otherwise be in team sports.

UR are doing their best with the top underage kids within the rules from what I understand.

Another winter of restrictions would end a lot of rugby for kids for good I reckon. A lot of coaches enjoying so much free time as well, which is understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

The way things are going with the mooted Rainbow Cup, we will probably b reverting back to the standard Pro12 schedule, which means knock-out rugby is guaranteed for us, with at least a SF against Munster.

Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

The way things are going with the mooted Rainbow Cup, we will probably b reverting back to the standard Pro12 schedule, which means knock-out rugby is guaranteed for us, with at least a SF against Munster.

Happy days.

Hopefully get some more academy exposure in remaining games then.

Good stuff...although I'd like to see the Saffer teams here too. Hopefully they still join the Pro 16 next season.

I don't know if we will rotate that much lads when we can still get a home semi final and any European rugby will be knock out now. Any ideas who we might play in the Challenge Cup?

bilston wrote: »
    Good stuff...although I'd like to see the Saffer teams here too. Hopefully they still join the Pro 16 next season.

I don't know if we will rotate that much lads when we can still get a home semi final and any European rugby will be knock out now. Any ideas who we might play in the Challenge Cup?

I saw folk online posting that it might be Newcastle?

Was hoping Munster might do us a favour there, but not to be. Need to beat Leinster at home if we can.

Awful game for a neutral. Dreary, ridden with awful lineouts, unconverted pressure and a shocking inability to catch high balls. If that was national team tryouts, we are in trouble.

Awful game for a neutral. Dreary, ridden with awful lineouts, unconverted pressure and a shocking inability to catch high balls. If that was national team tryouts, we are in trouble.

Stockdale is sleeping well tonight.

KOTH on UAFC saying things might of changed with Faddes staying, looking like he could possibly be off now.

Always wanted him to come good, shame he never got any real continuity in one position.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He's a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Faddes was atrocious in defence against Leinster. I haven't seen a lot of him but if that's a usual thing he cannot be retained.

Faddes was atrocious in defence against Leinster. I haven't seen a lot of him but if that's a usual thing he cannot be retained.

He’s been hot and cold for sure, unfortunately. Good scoring rate though!

At the start of the season id of kept him for experience. But realistically the academy is offering to much to keep him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

launish116 wrote: »
    He’s been hot and cold for sure, unfortunately. Good scoring rate though!

At the start of the season id of kept him for experience. But realistically the academy is offering to much to keep him now.

Again I've only seen a bit of Ethan McIlroy, but I'd hate to see Faddes keeping someone like him out of the team. Baloucoune is due to come back soon I hope?

• Advertisement

If Faddes was homegrown he'd be a useful squad player who would be in and out of the 1st XV, which is exactly what he has been...BUT...if you are a NIQ you need to be more than that. I think the emergence of McIlroy and Moore have probably done for him...although maybe it's his choice. But the fact is his salary could be better utilised elsewhere. I hope and am sure he will get a decent contract elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

. If that was national team tryouts, we are in trouble.

Yes and no. Not a display of excellent play or solidity in some facets but Farrell will be thrilled to see several near certain starters have very good games namely Henshaw, Beirne, Murray and Ryan. They also got a seriously physical game under their belts with no significant injuries.

He'll also be very happy for Keenan to get 80 minutes at full back against strong opposition and look comfortable again.

Again I've only seen a bit of Ethan McIlroy, but I'd hate to see Faddes keeping someone like him out of the team. Baloucoune is due to come back soon I hope?

McIlroy has been very good, looks well rounded! Very good on high ball! Probably been the stand out academy player this season.

Part of me thinks Boxham is being fast tracked to replace Faddes.

As Bilston says, his wages could be spent better elsewhere. Would expect a few players leaving academy on to.development contracts this season.

Yea he just hasn't turned out like I thought he would, although part of me wants to keep him to fill out the squad as Lyttle, Baloucoune and Addison can't keep fit and there's the international window to deal with. Not worth the money he's probably on though. McIlory is obviously ready for as many minutes as possible, Sexton and Rankin less so but the coaches have started to throw Sexton a game or two and they need to see what Rankin's got in him as he's in his last year of the academy. Hume and Moore both look good playing 13 and if you want to spend money on a utility back you'd want him to do the basics well and improve on their poor defence - which he doesn't.

Then there's the problem of replacing Coetzee, which will take a lot of money. Obviously we'll save on his massive contract and hopefully we got a decent transfer fee providing our management isn't incompetent, but we probably need two decent players if we're going to progress as a team next season, as getting a like-for-like player will be impossible.

launish116 wrote: »
    McIlroy has been very good, looks well rounded! Very good on high ball! Probably been the stand out academy player this season.

Part of me thinks Boxham is being fast tracked to replace Faddes.

As Bilston says, his wages could be spent better elsewhere. Would expect a few players leaving academy on to.development contracts this season.
    Surely they would promote McIlroy from the academy early to replace Faddes, unless you already consider him part of the senior squad with the game time he's getting?

Risky to try and fast track Moxham to replace an experienced senior player. Very raw and likely to be as bad defensively, needs time to develop. Too much too soon could hinder rather than help him imo.

Definitely some decisions to be made in the back three. Sexton and Rankin are final year academy players and McIlory definitely deserves a development contract over them already, and I'm not sure they would promote all three. Maybe promote McIlroy and Sexton and offer Rankin an additional year in the academy because of the lack of games due to COVID? Then bring Moxham and Postlewaite into the academy.

Surely they would promote McIlroy from the academy early to replace Faddes, unless you already consider him part of the senior squad with the game time he's getting?

Risky to try and fast track Moxham to replace an experienced senior player. Very raw and likely to be as bad defensively, needs time to develop. Too much too soon could hinder rather than help him imo.

Definitely some decisions to be made in the back three. Sexton and Rankin are final year academy players and McIlory definitely deserves a development contract over them already, and I'm not sure they would promote all three. Maybe promote McIlroy and Sexton and offer Rankin an additional year in the academy because of the lack of games due to COVID? Then bring Moxham and Postlewaite into the academy.

Yes sorry was thinking McIlroy was pretty much guaranteed an upgrade in contract an not really anything to debate.

Was just thinking Boxham is maybe being groomed as a utility back to fill Faddes gap, he plays wing and 13. Don’t think he’ll get a development contract though do think he’s being fast tracked with game time.

Haven’t seen enough of Rankin and Sexton is still very raw for senior rugby. Some serious decisions a head! Any cash free’d up by Faddes wages will definitey help the squad.

Dan is definitely of the opinion we need a squad not a star.

Buer wrote: »
    Yes and no. Not a display of excellent play or solidity in some facets but Farrell will be thrilled to see several near certain starters have very good games namely Henshaw, Beirne, Murray and Ryan. They also got a seriously physical game under their belts with no significant injuries.

He'll also be very happy for Keenan to get 80 minutes at full back against strong opposition and look comfortable again.

He'll be asking what sort of gameplan he can implement that can see out eighty minutes without having a lineout.

He'll be asking what sort of gameplan he can implement that can see out eighty minutes without having a lineout.

Lineouts going horribly and Henderson not there to take the blame, some fans will be at a loss for words.

Lineouts going horribly and Henderson not there to take the blame, some fans will be at a loss for words.

Quite.

Lineouts are inconsistent at times with Best on the pitch = Best can't throw, needs dropped.

Lineouts occasionally unconvincing with Henderson on the pitch = Henderson can't call a lineout, needs dropped.

Lineouts are a lottery without Best or Henderson on the pitch, frequently turning ball over or providing poor ball to the 9 = well, you know, a lineout is a massively complex thing, with many moving parts, difficult timings and subtle roles and what's imperative is that we make sure there's no even implied criticism of Kelleher/Ryan/whoever why don't we get Paul O'Connell in to explain "how to do a lineout" it's obviously a systems thing it should in no way be taken into consideration in the selection decision around my favourite lock from my Province that won't affect it lineouts actually work by magic nothing to do with personnel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Sexton and Rankin are only second year in the academy, so both have another year, agree that you would expect McIlroy to be moved to a Development deal.

Advertisement