Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

In fairness when Madigan was first announced I wasn’t overly impressed. Well deserving of a new contract now! Has bought in well and been complete professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

launish116 wrote: »
    In fairness when Madigan was first announced I wasn’t overly impressed. Well deserving of a new contract now! Has bought in well and been complete professional.

Completely agree. Would like to see Johnston kick on but Mads won us that semi-final against Edinburgh, and has contributed hugely to our record this season.

If Burns continues to be in and around the national squad, Madigan's experience will be invaluable. And I think it's clear that he has really settled in and is an important part of the squad. And I didn't except him to be unprofessional, or unvalued, but I have been impressed with how much he seems to have bought into - and be enjoying - his place in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I like Johnston...I've always rated him from having seen him play at U20s level. His problem was staying fit. I'm a bit disappointed he has only had 7 starts at Ulster (that's what I heard on the UR pod last week), which is hardly going to satisfy him. I would be pleasantly surprised if we kept hold of him.

To be fair Madigan has been a really good signing for us, its interesting he has only played 10, I thought he might have been tried at 12 and 15, but that hasn't happened.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Herring 2 more years.

Madigan 2 years now as well.

• Advertisement

So 22 contracts ending this Spring.

John Andrew, Kieran Treadwell, Andrew Warwick, Robert Baloucoune, Luke Marshall and Alan O'Connor all re-signed. Also Rob Herring and Ian Madigan.

Doak and Sexton given development-to-senior contracts.

Henderson to thrash out IRFU contract.

Who do we think is gone?

Ludik is supposedly retiring. Given Warwick's re-signing and Reid's emergence (and Milasinovich's ambipropsterousness), wouldn't be surprised to see McCall off - I think a few of us have come to that conclusion. Dunno if Gilroy's contract is up. Angus Curtis maybe. Not many forwards we can afford to get rid of - Jones has shown a bit recently. Mathewson or Shanahan I'd say.

Gilroy is due for renewal I think.

Looking like Leone Nakarawa might be announced at 1630. Going by the Twitter gif.

Gilroy, McCall, Curtis could be in bother. Harsh on Curtis, gifted just hasn’t had any luck with injuries.

Aye, that must be him.

Curtis - tidy player, serious amount of promise, but simply can't stay fit. Looked like he would be in the Paddy Wallace mould.

Aye, that must be him.

Curtis - tidy player, serious amount of promise, but simply can't stay fit. Looked like he would be in the Paddy Wallace mould.

Just a tad small, definitely a play maker. Would expect a contract elsewhere! Definitely worth the punt.

Leone Nakarawa - question now is this a replacement for Carter or Coetzee. In addition to Carter be tidy business. Definitely help scrum ballast until Izzy pushes on.

• Advertisement

Nakarawa confirmed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Nice.

Doesn't make up for losing Coetzee but a cracking signing

Scott Fardy type signing! Can’t complain with that! Add some experience and ballast. Covers multiple positions during internationals.

Always thought Yato from Clermont be a similar signing that would of suited us.

Makes you wonder had Ulster already someone lined up for Coetzee at the end of next season and this is a stop gap.

If we can retain Mathewson and find another prop/back rower we are in a very good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

One year deal? Right awec, who've we got lined up for 2022?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I don’t ever want to hear any crying about how unfair the IRFU is to Ulster again.

That is a cracking signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hopefully fans can get into stadiums at some point, Nakarawa would be a great draw

Happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Holy Mary mother of god that’s a signing ðŸ˜

Is there anyone left in Glasgow?

Wonder how the row will look now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

hopefully doesn't block McCann from playing 8.

Is there anyone left in Glasgow?

Wonder how the row will look now?

He's signed as a back row...

Could be looking at a pack next year of...

O'Sullivan
    Herring
    O'Toole/Moore
    Henderson
    Carter
    McCann
    Murphy
    Nakarawa

Or Nakarawa in the row and Reidy at 6 and McCann at 8.

bayern wrote: »

I would think Nakarawa will play 6. McCann will be the first choice 8 next year. Murphy at 7.

bayern wrote: »

McCann could play 6/7 for a year with a few games at 8 when Nakarawa plays second row. It's a one year deal as well...McCann is only 20, so I'm not worried about him not getting game time because of this.

bilston wrote: »
    McCann could play 6/7 for a year with a few games at 8 when Nakarawa plays second row. It's a one year deal as well...McCann is only 20, so I'm not worried about him not getting game time because of this.

Nah Nakarawa will definitely play back row.

awec wrote: »
    I would think Nakarawa will play 6. McCann will be the first choice 8 next year. Murphy at 7.

You know what, as good as Coetzee is, that is an exciting back row that you've just laid out awec.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

awec wrote: »
    Nakarawa confirmed. :)

Wow!
    &
    How?

I thought it was "No Mon', No Fun"

McCann is not a 8!

McCann is not a 8!