Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bayern wrote: »
    thats optimistic

In 18 months time? It's a challenge alright, but not impossible.

But he will need plenty of game time next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Hopefully they havnt wrote off Finlay, though be worried if he can’t leap frog Shanahan even if Doak destined for the top spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

thats optimistic

You've started threads hyping up every young player in the country but any time anyone else says something positive about a kid you p*ss all over it.

What's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

You've started threads hyping up every young player in the country but any time anyone else says something positive about a kid you p*ss all over it.

What's the point?

Tbf I think Bayern is right in this instance.

Supposedly McCall & Johnson gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ah, that's disappointing on Bill, but I can't begrudge him. He deserves a better crack of the whip.

That's got to mean Lowry with more opportunities at ten, then? Unless that's why Curtis was retained. Have seen him more as IC since he broke through, but his focus might shift back?

There are quite a few English or other Pro14 teams could do a lot worse than give Johnston a year try-out.

Good news on the coaching front. Dan Soper to become Assistant coach and Roddy Grant signed up to 2023.

launish116 wrote: »
    Supposedly McCall & Johnson gone.

Shame if true on Bill Johnston...but no surprise if confirmed.

*Repost

Great Soper, team really seem to like him

Just hope the skills don't backslide with Dan focussing less on nuts n' bolts.

He seriously upskilled the squad.

*Dan Soper, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Soper future Ulster coach?

McFarland is the first Ulster coach to see out three years in absolutely forever. I'm not looking any further.

As a matter of interest, leaving aside the fact that many didn't even see out their initial contracts, who was the last Ulster head coach to sign an extension?

Anscombe in 2014. Bloody hell.

And even then, he only did two years - a year and a year extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

bilston wrote: »
    Good news on the coaching front. Dan Soper to become Assistant coach and Roddy Grant signed up to 2023.

Soper effectively the backs coach now?

The last Ulster head coach to be in the position for three years was... Mark McCall.

He was in charge 04/05, 05/06, 06/07 left halfway through 07/08.

SORRY - McLaughlin did 2009/10 – 2011/12

Soper effectively the backs coach now?

Presume so.

I wouldn't bet against it. All.coaches have shelf lives so Dan won't be around forever, and I wouldnt be that surprised if Dan was a leading candidate for the Ireland gig post 2023.

So yeah, Soper or maybe Payne are in prime position...but its hopefully at least 2 1/2 years before it becomes an issue and that is plenty of time for Soper and Payne to develop. Shouldn't forget Kieran Campbell either depending on how he goes with the 20s, but there is no doubt that Ulster A have done very well under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Any idea where Johnston would be headed? Feel Connacht could do with a back up 10

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The last Ulster head coach to be in the position for three years was... Mark McCall.

He was in charge 04/05, 05/06, 06/07 left halfway through 07/08.

SORRY - McLaughlin did 2009/10 – 2011/12

Did Kiss not do like 10 years?

Or maybe his time just felt like an eternity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

awec wrote: »

His spectre is still there.......Ethel leaves a big mug of pointless blather out for him every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Disappointing for Johnson. He is probably going to the championship. I think his brother is at Nottingham

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Disappointing for Johnson. He is probably going to the championship. I think his brother is at Nottingham

Ealing, played in the team that beat Saracens a few weeks back.

awec wrote: »

10 games without a successful tackle.

Was reading online comments late last night by an Ulster poster proven to be In The Know (not KOTH, not UAFC).
    Finances are a focus at the Provinces these coming seasons. I think it was Bayern who said he read in the Times that Provincial budgets next season had to be 10% to 15% less. In the context of Ulster, while we are seeing constant renewals over the last week or two (20 players), when you drill down into what’s actually happening, you can see the financial realities.

Marcel is our best paid player, and losing him, and the sweetener money from the Bulls, clearly eases financial matters a bit.

With Peel away, we’ve a coach less – while Ulster fans may rightly be excited about what Soper can bring as attack coach, it’s significant that it also saves a big off-pitch wage. Not just a vote of confidence in Soper, but a cost-cutting measure.

Nakarawa’s wage will likely be the same as Faddes’, rather than Coetzee.

Gilroy has taken a wage cut.

It’s likely that McCann will be the only Academy player to move onto a “full”, senior contract. Reid, McIlroy, Doak and Stewart all spending next season – the financial crunch season – as “Development” players, then graduating to senior contracts. Arguably, it’s less about giving them a season to grow unto the role, than keeping them cheap for a season.

Faddes, Ludik, Mathewson, Johnston possibly McCall and/or Kane and/or McBurney’s wages freed up.

While they have cleverly spooled out these announcements to feel like the good news keeps coming, in reality this is a definite tightening of the financial belt.

From T'Other Forum (but not KOTH) -
    Kane - one year
    McCall - retiring
    Johnston- England

Was reading online comments late last night by an Ulster poster proven to be In The Know (not KOTH, not UAFC).
    Finances are a focus at the Provinces these coming seasons. I think it was Bayern who said he read in the Times that Provincial budgets next season had to be 10% to 15% less. In the context of Ulster, while we are seeing constant renewals over the last week or two (20 players), when you drill down into what’s actually happening, you can see the financial realities.

Marcel is our best paid player, and losing him, and the sweetener money from the Bulls, clearly eases financial matters a bit.

With Peel away, we’ve a coach less – while Ulster fans may rightly be excited about what Soper can bring as attack coach, it’s significant that it also saves a big off-pitch wage. Not just a vote of confidence in Soper, but a cost-cutting measure.

Nakarawa’s wage will likely be the same as Faddes’, rather than Coetzee.

Gilroy has taken a wage cut.

It’s likely that McCann will be the only Academy player to move onto a “full”, senior contract. Reid, McIlroy, Doak and Stewart all spending next season – the financial crunch season – as “Development” players, then graduating to senior contracts. Arguably, it’s less about giving them a season to grow unto the role, than keeping them cheap for a season.

Faddes, Ludik, Mathewson, Johnston possibly McCall and/or Kane and/or McBurney’s wages freed up.

While they have cleverly spooled out these announcements to feel like the good news keeps coming, in reality this is a definite tightening of the financial belt.

Was thinking Ethan McIlroy is unlucky not to be going straight to a senior deal. If he starts next season well and plays in the first couple of rounds in Europe would it be that much of a surprise if he made the Autumn Internationals wider squad?

bilston wrote: »
    Was thinking Ethan McIlroy is unlucky not to be going straight to a senior deal. If he starts next season well and plays in the first couple of rounds in Europe would it be that much of a surprise if he made the Autumn Internationals wider squad?

I'd presume that he'd be behind Baloucoune and, for me, Lyttle.

McIlroy has done really well, and justified his starts. But there's some competition on the wing at Ulster.

I'd presume that he'd be behind Baloucoune and, for me, Lyttle.

McIlroy has done really well, and justified his starts. But there's some competition on the wing at Ulster.

McIlroy looks so composed which belies his age. I agree on Balacoune, but think he will overtake Lyttle quick enough to be honest.

The question is how Balacoune's injury has affected him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Ridiculous talent coming through in the backs. A lad like Kernahan leaving last year. Ulster amaze me with the talent level of the backs. It's a shame that Kernahan didn't go to another province. Moxham looks like a future star. What's in the backs water up there in God's country?

Advertisement