Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

bayern wrote: »
    you wouldn't know it if you went on the ulster website, oddly no coverage of the loss.

First loss this season?

Would far rather give Leinster a close game then focus on youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

you wouldn't know it if you went on the ulster website, oddly no coverage of the loss.

Not really. There was a report on Twitter, there's always a few days before it goes in the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

launish116 wrote: »
    First loss this season?

Would far rather give Leinster a close game then focus on youth.

Agree with going as strong as possible against Leinster.

But if we beat Leinster we will still mathematically have a chance going into the last game (no matter how slim), so the younger lads won't get a chance until the last game.

It will be interesring to see how we approach the Rainbow Cup.

bilston wrote: »
    Agree with going as strong as possible against Leinster.

But if we beat Leinster we will still mathematically have a chance going into the last game (no matter how slim), so the younger lads won't get a chance until the last game.

It will be interesring to see how we approach the Rainbow Cup.

I think we have to just keep maximising our chances in case the unthinkable happens. Munster and Leinster in the same conference next season, please. Or us and Munster.

Medical update

Greg Jones sustained a concussion during Friday’s game against Ospreys and will follow the Graduated Return to Play Protocols.

Sam Carter suffered a recent concussion in training and is currently unavailable for selection.

Following his recent thigh contusion injury, Marcell Coetzee’s fitness for this week’s fixture against Leinster will be monitored during the coming week.

Little worrying, that’s second or third this season for Carter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Not really. There was a report on Twitter, there's always a few days before it goes in the website.

please, they still haven't reported on the loss.. if they had won there'd have been a report up that day.

please, they still haven't reported on the loss.. if they had won there'd have been a report up that day.

Highlights

https://youtu.be/n_VDB8wp0DU

launish116 wrote: »

Some defensive clusterf***s there.

Although some cheeky deliberate knock ons there. The first one in particular might have stopped a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I too am surprised that the team aren't as enthusiastic about losing a game as they are about winning it.

I know we're a little bored in lockdown, but rugby is back to being played and there are better things to be doing than trying to create aggro on other teams threads.

I too am surprised that the team aren't as enthusiastic about losing a game as they are about winning it.

I know we're a little bored in lockdown, but rugby is back to being played and there are better things to be doing than trying to create aggro on other teams threads.

Sadly, I'm coming to the conclusion that Ulster must post match reports the same way Bayern creates posts with fascinating breakdowns of underage teams and talent - only if it bigs up their province. For shame.

Anyone have that Alan Partridge Shrugging Gif handy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

This Ulster A loss and the failure to get a bonus point against ospreys really has shook up ulster posters hasn't it?

AllKindAxolotl-size_restricted.gif

Based on the highlights it appears James McCormick, Kyle McCall, Oscar Egan, Rueben Crothers, Nathan Doak and Ben Carson got off the bench for Ulster A.

This Ulster A loss and the failure to get a bonus point against ospreys really has shook up ulster posters hasn't it?

tenor.gif

Yeah, nah. Frustrated, yes. Disappointed, yes. Shook up is a stretch.

Only one of us is on the the thread for a team they don't support, pointing out where that team hasn't done brilliantly. In all honesty, you seem as invested as any of us. Not sure any of us posted on the Leinster thread after we beat your lads.

Anyway, I'd hope after this game McCann, Rea Jr, Allison, Doak might feature for a game at home against Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ulster are in a situation where they could win 15 games out of 16 this season and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Purely because the Pro 14 decided to mess up the competition by arranging some intercontinental nonsense in the middle of a global pandemic.

We could have had 4 provinces in the playoffs and Ulster could have had a real chance of winning the whole thing. If the Rainbow Cup doesn't go ahead now it's a massive missed opportunity.

Having the two finalists from the previous season in the same conference is ludicrous.

Having the two finalists from the previous season in the same conference is ludicrous.

What’s ludicrous how easy Leinster are walking over teams! With their internationals all gone and continuously rotating week in week out. Can’t help but look on in despair and awe.

Yet we can’t translate it to international honours!

Ulster are in a situation where they could win 15 games out of 16 this season and have absolutely nothing to show for it. Purely because the Pro 14 decided to mess up the competition by arranging some intercontinental nonsense in the middle of a global pandemic.

We could have had 4 provinces in the playoffs and Ulster could have had a real chance of winning the whole thing. If the Rainbow Cup doesn't go ahead now it's a massive missed opportunity.

Surely if the Rainbow Cup doesn't go ahead the Pro 14 will revert to its original format. Ending the season in March would be a nonsense, especially as there is a chance (in the UK anyway) that crowds could return in May.

So. We can't change anything but what happens on Saturday night.

(It's a shame that young Leinster bucks won't get a baptism of fire at a rockin' and rowdy Ravenhill, but there you go.)

1) EOS / Warwick
    2) Andrew / McBurney
    3) Moore / TOT
    4) Treadwell
    5) O'Connor / Izuchukuwu
    6) Reidy
    7) Murphy
    8) Timoney / Rea Sr
    9) Cooney / Mathewson
    10) Madigan / Johnston
    11) Stockdale
    12) McCloskey
    13) Hume
    14) Baloucoune
    15) Lowry / Lyttle

Might not be that straightforward - he might go for a six - two spilt again, with Lowry covering ten.

Also - heard last week's Ulster rugby podcast that we have used 46 players this season. Totting up the names, it's actually now 48. With three we haven't been able to pick due to injury.

Loosehead:
    Eric O’Sullivan
    Jack McGrath
    Andy Warwick
    Kyle McCall
    Callum Reid

Hooker:
    Rob Herring
    John Andrew
    Adam McBurney
    Bradley Roberts

Tighthead:
    Marty Moore
    Tom O’Toole
    Ross Kane
    Gareth Milasinovich

Second Row:
    Iain Henderson
    Sam Carter
    Alan O’Connor
    Kieran Treadwell
    David O’Connor
    Cormac Izuchukwu

Back Row:
    Marcell Coetzee
    Sean Reidy
    Jordi Murphy
    Nick Timoney
    Greg Jones
    Matty Rea
    David McCann
    Marcus Rea

Scrumhalf:
    John Cooney
    Alby Mathewson
    David Shanahan
    Nathan Doak

Outhalf:
    Billy Burns
    Ian Madigan
    Bill Johnston

Centre:
    Stuart McCloskey
    Luke Marshall
    James Hume
    Stewart Moore

Back Three:
    Jacob Stockdale
    Robert Baloucoune
    Michael Lowry
    Rob Lyttle
    Matt Faddes
    Craig Gilroy
    Ethan McIlroy
    Aaron Sexton
    Ben Moxham
    Lous Ludik

Senior players not selected due to injury: Will Addison, Angus Curtis
    Academy players lined up to play but not selected due to injury: Tom Stewart

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

It is encouraging to see some talented competition in most positions now.

I think we have had a better first 15 in the recent(?) past, 2014, in my opinion. But there is now better strength in depth. Obviously it can always be improved.

It has got to the stage now, were you need to be able to field 3 teams with minimal drop-off in quality....

• Advertisement

Does show a good bit of squad progression!

Many of that list will be departing?

Could really do with more A games, lack of game time must of been a consideration for a lot of caps.

Wikidy wrote: »
    It is encouraging to see some talented competition in most positions now.

I think we have had a better first 15 in the recent(?) past, 2014, in my opinion. But there is now better strength in depth. Obviously it can always be improved.

It has got to the stage now, were you need to be able to field 3 teams with minimal drop-off in quality....

We've never had anywhere near so much depth.

But in the 2012 European final we had a first fifteen with Best, Afoa, Muller, Ferris, Henry, Pienaar, Jackson and Andrew Trimble.

We had a better pack in 2012.

Court v O'Sullivan/McGrath
    Best v Herring
    Afoa v O'Toole/Moore
    Muller v Carter
    Tuohy v Henderson
    Ferris v Rea
    Henry v Murphy
    Wannenberg v Coetzee

Hendy and Marcel are probably the only two o free current side who would get on the 2012 pack. Peak Jack McGrath would get in ahead of fellow Lion Tom Court. Henry v Murphy is tight enough.

Pienaar v Cooney
    Humphreys/Jackson v Burns
    Gilroy v Stockdale
    Wallace v McCloskey
    Cave v Hume
    Trimble v Balacoune
    Terblanche v Lowry

Stockdale gets in ahead of Gilroy and actually Billy Burns might get in ahead of the 2012 version of Paddy Jackson. Lowry v Terblanche is tight, Terblanche was about 36 at the time! McCloskey v Wallace is a good debate. I dont think the 2012 team would have needed McCloskey's ball carrying as much. Paddy's footballing skills win the day for me.

So we've still a bit to go to get to the 2012 level.

Hard to deny Ulster’s handling and offloading has been a pleasure to watch! Just need to convert it now.

bilston wrote: »
    We had a better pack in 2012.

Court v O'Sullivan/McGrath
    Best v Herring
    Afoa v O'Toole/Moore
    Muller v Carter
    Tuohy v Henderson
    Ferris v Rea
    Henry v Murphy
    Wannenberg v Coetzee

Hendy and Marcel are probably the only two o free current side who would get on the 2012 pack. Peak Jack McGrath would get in ahead of fellow Lion Tom Court. Henry v Murphy is tight enough.

Pienaar v Cooney
    Humphreys/Jackson v Burns
    Gilroy v Stockdale
    Wallace v McCloskey
    Cave v Hume
    Trimble v Balacoune
    Terblanche v Lowry

Stockdale gets in ahead of Gilroy and actually Billy Burns might get in ahead of the 2012 version of Paddy Jackson. Lowry v Terblanche is tight, Terblanche was about 36 at the time! McCloskey v Wallace is a good debate. I dont think the 2012 team would have needed McCloskey's ball carrying as much. Paddy's footballing skills win the day for me.

So we've still a bit to go to get to the 2012 level.

I was always a big Wallace fan, and I'd take him over McCloskey in isolation. With as few ball carriers as we have currently, Big Stu's physicality is probably at a premium.

Would probably take Luke Marshall over Cave, and Addison over Terblanche (but Payne over either).

I'd take Reidy ahead of Murphy but Henry ahead of both.

Another year for Ross Kane. Safety net.

David McCann upgraded contract until 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

WalesOnline and a couple other outlets reporting that apparently there's murder going on with the WRU over Peel, Scarlets are trying to nab him before he gets to Cardiff.

• Advertisement

WalesOnline and a couple other outlets reporting that apparently there's murder going on with the WRU over Peel, Scarlets are trying to nab him before he gets to Cardiff.

Oof. If that's actually true, that's utter ****ehawk behaviour.

Advertisement