Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jack Regan is a weird one. Not able to have a look in with Ulster and he lit it up in NZ and now is getting into matchday squads. He's not a very big lock by any standards but, how is he good enough for super rugby and not pro14. Bizarre that David O' Connor was contracted ahead of Regan.
    I do think the coaching is a factor. A lot of that Ulster squad have international caps. Yet, they underwhelm at the tough matches. Perhaps, the likes of Penny and Soroka, are significantly better than others in their age group? Take Rea Jr, he only has 3 or 4 Ulster caps! Is that because he's not up to snuff or was never really a top level prospect.
    Recruiting pacific islanders could be expensive too. The French raid the islands and so do the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Jack Regan is a weird one. Not able to have a look in with Ulster and he lit it up in NZ and now is getting into matchday squads. He's not a very big lock by any standards but, how is he good enough for super rugby and not pro14. Bizarre that David O' Connor was contracted ahead of Regan.
    I do think the coaching is a factor. A lot of that Ulster squad have international caps. Yet, they underwhelm at the tough matches. Perhaps, the likes of Penny and Soroka, are significantly better than others in their age group? Take Rea Jr, he only has 3 or 4 Ulster caps! Is that because he's not up to snuff or was never really a top level prospect.
    Recruiting pacific islanders could be expensive too. The French raid the islands and so do the English.

Definitely a lack of trust, we seem to always rely on a semi full strength team. Young guys get Sparactic if any caps and never any continuity!

I did a table months back of all provinces comparing u20 forwards and caps! At 22 most provinces had forwards pushing into the main teams.

This season is a little different lack of AIL/A games means players lack game time! But how can Izzy now be thrown in with least experience of any of our academy players.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,501 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Dubinusa wrote: »

Regan didn't go from ulster straight to the Highlanders. He ended up with then due to a mix of strong performances, injury crisis and dumb luck.

He went over originally to join Dunedin Sharks for a year, then covid hit and the season was messed up. Good performances for the Sharks led him to getting a call up to otago for the mitre 10 and his form there was good enough to get a training contract with the Highlanders, who were without three locks from last year... One out for the season with injury (pari pari parkinson) one out with injury for the start of the season (selby-ricket) and one transferred out to the tahs (whetton). Regan is still only on a short term contract there but its a great sign that he was selected last weekend ahead of a returning MSR.

So it's not as if ulster let a ready made Pro14 level player go.

He is also young for a lock at 23 and certainly needs to add some timber to his frame, as he's not yet as powerful as he could be.
    And describing his performances as "lit it up" is certainly over egging it. He's been solid but absolutely unspectacular

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So it's not as if ulster let a ready made Pro14 level player go.

He is also young for a lock at 23 and certainly needs to add some timber to his frame, as he's not yet as powerful as he could be.

There lies the issue, Ulster didn’t see him making Pro14 level and ultimately he’s now playing at a high standard!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Regards Regan I think sometimes players just do better after going elsewhere. An environment might not suit or sometimes just a different less comfortable set up. If it was happening constantly you might have a problem but just occasionally it’s nothing to worry about. Beirne left Leinster a place renowned for young guys making it and he’s gone great, he may not have at Leinster for whatever reason or maybe he would but I’m inclined to think moving to Wales was the making of him.
    It’s too easy to start claiming that a club made a mistake letting someone go but I’d say more often it’s the making of the player.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Regards Regan I think sometimes players just do better after going elsewhere. An environment might not suit or sometimes just a different less comfortable set up. If it was happening constantly you might have a problem but just occasionally it’s nothing to worry about. Beirne left Leinster a place renowned for young guys making it and he’s gone great, he may not have at Leinster for whatever reason or maybe he would but I’m inclined to think moving to Wales was the making of him.
    It’s too easy to start claiming that a club made a mistake letting someone go but I’d say more often it’s the making of the player.

Though Leinster have a track record and a conveyor belt of forwards coming through. Ulster don’t and need to maximise every single academy spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

salmocab wrote: »

when Beirne left Leinster, they didn't exactly have a stellar record of developing locks.. he went to Scarlets and got better coaching and more game time...

Same with Thornbury when he went to NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

bayern wrote: »
    If EOS was injured why did he come back on?

I have no idea.

To avoid uncontested scrums?

bilston wrote: »
    I have no idea.

To avoid uncontested scrums?

No Moore was still available. EOS got hooked cause he was getting roasted by Bent.

No Moore was still available. EOS got hooked cause he was getting roasted imby Bent.

So if you knew why did you ask me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Anyway, I think Timoney had a good game. He's playing well and is getting into the physical parts of the game quite comfortably. Treadwell was not so hot. I thought he faded fairly significantly after the opening 30 minutes.
    Balacoune looked great. Looks the complete package. Moore also was impressive when he replaced Hume?
    E.O.S Definitely got minced at scrum time. I was disappointed with his effort. He still needs to work on that aspect of his game.
    Overall, I think Ulster were not cool or calm under pressure. Regardless of the cards, they were constantly infringing at the rucks. Hopefully, they grow from a match like this. This was a match I fancied Ulster to win and it was surprising to me how quick they went into disarray.

Sexton recalled to Ireland squad. Actually think they’ve called the wrong winger up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

launish116 wrote: »
    Sexton recalled to Ireland squad. Actually think they’ve called the wrong winger up.

Stockdale you mean? Nah i think he deserves it, didn't get to do too much against Leinster but he hasn't made any glaring mistakes and he's looked dangerous every time he gets the ball. Done all you can ask of an experienced international coming back from injury. He's probably the best left wing in ireland so I'm not sure who else would take his place.

Baloucoune will get his chance but he's been out a long time and hasn't trained much with ireland so you can see the reasoning for picking someone more experienced, even if conway hasn't been great recently,

Baloucoune was never getting picked ahead of Stockdale. The reason being that Stockdale has a genuine chance of playing this weekend, Baloucoune didn't. He wouldn't know the calls for a start!

That said I'd have potentially brought Baloucoune down to the training camp, but I guess he is better off with Ulster at the moment. End of the day he has played 1 1/2 games in a year.

His time will come very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Number 137

Maybe it's already been discussed and I've missed it, but Hayden Hyde has signed for Harlequins. Oddly he has joined their academy as opposed to signing a senior contract.

From McKendry on Twitter

Dan McFarland says Ulster will likely rotate over their final two dead rubber PRO14 games against Dragons and Zebre: "We've got a few battered bodies after the weekend. There'll be an opportunity for a couple guys to step up who have earned their shot on merit."

Gonna get to see some future talent finally!

Who do we want see?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

From McKendry on Twitter

Dan McFarland says Ulster will likely rotate over their final two dead rubber PRO14 games against Dragons and Zebre: "We've got a few battered bodies after the weekend. There'll be an opportunity for a couple guys to step up who have earned their shot on merit."

Gonna get to see some future talent finally!

Who do we want see?

Izzy, one of McCann/Allison and Finlay or Doak would probably be the best targets in terms of getting them game time to see how they go. Wouldn't be surprised to see Houston get a spot on the bench either.

I think Houston is away at the end of the season so it would be a wasted opportunity.

In the backs I'd like to see Lowry to 10, Moore in the centre and McIlroy at FB, plus more gametime for Doak.

In the pack I'd like to see Reid, Izzy and McCann get starts.

I don't necessarily want all the above to happen in the same game.

Even a full half of rugby for some of them like Stockdale/Baloucoune had on return.

Making sure their placed between experience.

1. Reid (let him play with full strength front row)
    2. Andrew
    3. Moore
    4. Carter
    5. Treadwell
    6. McCann
    7. Murphy
    8. Timoney
    9. Cooney
    10. Lowry
    11. lyttle
    12. Moore (McCloskey with Ireland?)
    13. Hume
    14. Baloucoune
    15. McIlroy

16. O’Sullivan (Return protocols?)
    17. McBurney
    18. Kane (OToole with Ireland?)
    19. Izzy
    20. Reidy
    21. Allison/Rea Snr/Jones
    21. Finlay
    22. Madigan

Fair to say if Allison doesn’t appear now he never will. Seeing as forwards are our issue, think we should focus on 6/2 split an maximise exposure.

Allison has either been released, like Houston, or is injured.

• Advertisement

Allison has either been released, like Houston, or is injured.

Shame if that is the case, we don’t have many 6’4, 16 Stoners running around.

Shame if that is the case, we don’t have many 6’4, 16 Stoners running around.

given he is still just 21, i'd be surprised but he is in his 3rd year in the academy afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think Houston is away at the end of the season so it would be a wasted opportunity.

In the backs I'd like to see Lowry to 10, Moore in the centre and McIlroy at FB, plus more gametime for Doak.

In the pack I'd like to see Reid, Izzy and McCann get starts.

I don't necessarily want all the above to happen in the same game.

Must've missed that about Houston, if that's the case then I think giving Lowry a few runs at 10 is pretty essential with Billy away with the national squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Must've missed that about Houston, if that's the case then I think giving Lowry a few runs at 10 is pretty essential with Billy away with the national squad.

Pretty sure Bill Johnston is also leaving us at the end of the season so would make sense for Lowry to see game time.

2 week ban for Andrew Warwick!

Reid to take bench spot hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Still find it odd that the Toner clothes-line was not looked at again...

2 week ban for Andrew Warwick!

Reid to take bench spot hopefully.

Warwick was always getting a ban. It was a red card.

The annoyance was the other incidents. Although neither player was cited, or O'Toole for that matter.

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Still find it odd that the Toner clothes-line was not looked at again...

Depends on what the mitigation was?

If it was "Dev is 6'9" and Mike is 5'7"" then personally I don't think that is mitigation.

I can't remember what the officials said on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Depends on what the mitigation was?

If it was "Dev is 6'9" and Mike is 5'7"" then personally I don't think that is mitigation.

I can't remember what the officials said on the night.

I believe it was height difference....

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I believe it was height difference....

Well in that case that's ridiculous.

Advertisement