Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

That's pretty much the team everyone was hoping for I think bar the bench scrumhalf. Strong pack that can hopefully give us a bit of front foot ball and take the pressure off McCann and Izzy - would like to see them both involved in the carrying anyway though. Lowry getting more game time at 10 is always a plus. Exciting outside backs, we already know what a lot of them can bring in attack and I like that McIlroy is back at fullback. He's played very well at wing for us but he can be an even better fullback imo. Hopefully we'll get a better look at Moxham off the bench as well.

Slightly off topic, but I always though Lyttle would get more games at full back when he was coming through. Great boot, excellent broken field runner, and surprisingly strong in taking contact. Probably not the player you want as your last line in defence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,654 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah, McBurney might still become a stalwart at Edinburgh - not a world-beater, maybe, but he's still youngish.

Pinched from elsewhere -

Ethan McIlroy 10/08/2000
    Robert Baloucoune 19/08/1997
    James Hume 07/09/1998
    Stewart Moore 08/08/1999
    Rob Lyttle 28/01/1997
    Michael Lowry 20/08/1998

Mental that Lyttle is so young considering he made his debut in 2016. Hopefully he can stay fit and get a good run of games under his belt.

Think Ulster are probably the most promising province in terms of backline age, a back 3 of Lyttle/Balacoune/Stockdale and a centre partnership of Hume/Moore would be nothing to scoff at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Not sure if anyone has been watching the player profiles videos on YouTube. Every player to do one in the past year has said that madigan is the funniest/bit of a character. It's great to see how well he's thought of within the team. He's been a great signing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Cracking day in Belfast, should be a dry track tonight, with a bit of luck the Ulster backs could open up a bit tonight against Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

https://www.buzzsprout.com/820642/7277287-learning-curves-with-iain-henderson?play=true

Fascinating interview of Henderson by Niall Annett. Bit matey, but Hendo is very open and candid. And just as laid back as he appears.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Cracking day in Belfast, should be a dry track tonight, with a bit of luck the Ulster backs could open up a bit tonight against Zebre.

Two washes on the line already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

bilston wrote: »

Just reading this makes me wish this whole pandemic was over as I would have been really looking forward to getting out tonight to go to Ulster HQ. Just 2 days after what would have been a Schools' Cup Final and Kingspan would have been my friend this week.

Just reading this makes me wish this whole pandemic was over as I would have been really looking forward to getting out tonight to go to Ulster HQ. Just 2 days after what would have been a Schools' Cup Final and Kingspan would have been my friend this week.

I'd still be nursing a hangover from St Paddy's tbh, but I miss having the option of going to the rugby lol

Be nice to get to a couple of Rainbow Cup matches in late May/early June. Rugby in the sun. Doubt the bar would be open though.

Was I imagining things or did I just spot Will Addison involved in the warm up there in the background on TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Never noticed.

Hard not to enjoy this brand of open rugby.

Some nice touches from Baloucoune, McIlroy and McCann already. Zebre's giving them plenty of space to work with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

You can tell Andy Brace is fed up of giving reds, but players are giving him no choice.

You can tell Andy Brace is fed up of giving reds, but players are giving him no choice.

Actually thought it looked like a cheeky elbow during play.

No excuse for that, was coy like.

Shame it has effected scrums, at least Izzy could get an easy 80 minds under the belt. Likewise swap the props now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Paolo is in the dog house tonight never seen a player roared at like that before 🤣.

Ulster should run away with this in the second half tbh

Ulster making a bit of a meal of this.

McCann, Hume looking very handy, Baloucoune is ready to rock. Izuchukwu playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Baloucoune hype train going at warp speed.

Like what I've seen from Izuchukwu so far considering how little experience he has, should only get better as he gets more confident in what to do and how to play.

Really like how Lowry isn't afraid to attack the blindside as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How on earth was that awarded?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Watching without audio but did anyone see the Zebre prop's face when I presume the ref asked if him if he was sure he could play hooker?

Will definitely be watching that saga back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 backcamslua

How on earth was that awarded?!

Appalling from the officiating team-what chance have d Italian teams -as bad as Eng V Italy and Joy's nightmare!!

Lots of negatives and positives.

Looking really disjointed, sloppy passing, too many mistakes, falling off tackles and forcing things as well at times.

Lots of players have had nice touches at times though - Izuchukwu, Baloucoune, McCann, treadwell and Hume mainly.

Bradley Roberts has some pace for a wee chunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Belfast Telegraph reporting that Kieran Campbell is to leave the head of the academy to become assistant coach at Ealing next season.

RuPi wrote: »
    Belfast Telegraph reporting that Kieran Campbell is to leave the head of the academy to become assistant coach at Ealing next season.

That's disappointing. Although he was supposed to be double-jobbing anyway - he was made Irish U20s coach for next season.

We didn't learn much tonight.

But Izzy has big potential. Hume and Lyttle played well, and Baloucoune looks a level above already.

Treadwell had a good game too.

Some nice tries against 13 or 14 men, but generally speaking, it was all a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Really should have notched up at least another 20 -30 points against 13 men in that second half. Performance summed up by final penalty to touch being missed. I think Zebre kind of lowered Ulster to their level.

Really should have notched up at least another 20 -30 points against 13 men in that second half. Performance summed up by final penalty to touch being missed. I think Zebre kind of lowered Ulster to their level.

Need to keep in perspective the age/experience and combinations. Not mention stop/start season.

Thought Ferris was harsh on McCann considering the handful of caps he has, he made two try saving tackles and couple good breaks.

launish116 wrote: »
    Need to keep in perspective the age/experience and combinations. Not mention stop/start season.

Thought Ferris was harsh on McCann considering the handful of caps he has, he made two try saving tackles and couple good breaks.

McCann was good. Looked dangerous ball in hand, skilful. A couple of mistakes, but that's always the case.

Thought it was all just a bit frantic. The pressure to put points on 13 man Zebre meant they were a bit headless.

Delighted for Bradley Roberts to get his first try.

Lowry fell off a couple of tackles, which isn't like him. Reidy was a bit quiet.

• Advertisement

launish116 wrote: »

I thought McCann played quite well but in fairness Ferris knows the back row a lot better than me!

Thinking back, of all the youngsters on show I thought Izzy showed huge promise with his carrying and I think Ethan McIlroy was very good. Solid under the high ball, a danger going forward, and also showed great maturity to put Baloucoune in when he could easily have gone for glory himself.

Advertisement