Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

McCann was good. Looked dangerous ball in hand, skilful. A couple of mistakes, but that's always the case.

Thought it was all just a bit frantic. The pressure to put points on 13 man Zebre meant they were a bit headless.

Delighted for Bradley Roberts to get his first try.

Lowry fell off a couple of tackles, which isn't like him. Reidy was a bit quiet.

I think Lowrys defensive errors were more down to how Zebre attacked him. They didn't just send a big man down his channel, they attacked him with footwork and decoy runners and different angles. That's harder to defend than a big guy just running straight at you.

See to be honest as soon as Stewart Moore dropped that kick off last night I had a fear that Ulater weren't quite on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Izzy definitely doesn’t look out of place for someone with very little 15 experience. He can only get better and game wiser.

Biggest issue is a lot of those players mighten play for a mother month or so now.

Biggest issue is a lot of those players mighten play for a mother month or so now.

I think we target the Challenge Cup and then use the Rainbow Cup as a development competition.

What team are we looking at for Harlequins?

Any arguments over...
    EOS
    Herring
    Moore
    Hendy
    O'Connor
    Reidy
    Murphy
    Timoney
    Cooney
    Burns
    Stockdale
    McCloskey
    Hume
    Baloucoune
    Lowry

Andrew, Reid, O'Toole, Treadwell, McCann, Matthewson, Moore, Lyttle

Madigan might bench ahead of Moore, but then Lowry already covers 10.

The above assumes Carter and McGrath aren't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    I think we target the Challenge Cup and then use the Rainbow Cup as a development competition.

What team are we looking at for Harlequins?

Any arguments over...
    EOS
    Herring
    Moore
    Hendy
    O'Connor
    Reidy
    Murphy
    Timoney
    Cooney
    Burns
    Stockdale
    McCloskey
    Hume
    Baloucoune
    Lowry

Andrew, Reid, O'Toole, Treadwell, McCann, Matthewson, Moore, Lyttle

Madigan might bench ahead of Moore, but then Lowry already covers 10.

The above assumes Carter and McGrath aren't available.

Jones ahead of McCann, possibly, or Rea Senior, who looked keen to be involved again last night. Will Warwick still be on the naughty step?

I definitely think EOS and TOT have looked a bit jaded in the last month.

Interesting to see just how surplus to requirements Faddes has become.

• Advertisement

Jones ahead of McCann, possibly, or Rea Senior, who looked keen to be involved again last night. Will Warwick still be on the naughty step?

I definitely think EOS and TOT have looked a bit jaded in the last month.

Not sure if Warwick will be available, nonetheless I wouldn't pick him anyway.

Not sure if Warwick will be available, nonetheless I wouldn't pick him anyway.

I'd be worried about Reid in the scrum. He was binned against Munster for infractions in the scrum, and we do not want to gave Quins down to 14 men.

I'd be worried about Reid in the scrum. He was binned against Munster for infractions in the scrum, and we do not want to gave Quins down to 14 men.

Would expect Warwick ahead of Reid!

Would likely expect Rea Snr to start and Reidy on bench. I’d have McCann level/ahead of Jones.

What’s is the story on Carter? You’d expect Treadwell to well up for a match against his old club.

Warwick struggles in the scrum too and offers feck all around the park. Maybe I'm just still annoyed with him for getting sent off against Leinster, but there you go...each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Was Addison running around before the game last night?

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Was Addison running around before the game last night?

Looked that way on TV

If Herring and Hendo retain their current form, beating the Hairy Queens looks much more doable.

If Herring and Hendo retain their current form, beating the Hairy Queens looks much more doable.

Henderson surely in the reckoning for a lions spot also!

launish116 wrote: »
    Henderson surely in the reckoning for a lions spot also!

You know what, I wouldn't that shocked if Herring made it.

Ken Owens is nailed on, but Jamie George isn't showing much form, is Luke Cowan Dickie more deserving than Herring? The guy for Scotland yesterday, Cherry, looked very impressive in the brief bits of that match that I watched, but Herring is in the mix.

You know what, I wouldn't that shocked if Herring made it.

Ken Owens is nailed on, but Jamie George isn't showing much form, is Luke Cowan Dickie more deserving than Herring? The guy for Scotland yesterday, Cherry, looked very impressive in the brief bits of that match that I watched, but Herring is in the mix.

He's improved this 6N - had a couple of forgettable performances in green in the last six months. He might not be amazeballs, but he's good enough, for Ireland anyway. You don't score that Keith Earls try with Kelleher throwing.

He's improved this 6N - had a couple of forgettable performances in green in the last six months. He might not be amazeballs, but he's good enough, for Ireland anyway. You don't score that Keith Earls try with Kelleher throwing.

Sure according to RTE it was an overthrow!

In other news Jack Regan, well worth a read. Left Ulster 108kgs and is now 115kgs....

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/i-was-f-this-is-an-all-black-hitting-me-in-the-head-this-is-going-to-be-great-he-is-going-to-be-gone-one-of-their-main-players-regan-highlanders-super-rugby/#click=https://t.co/2s4YhHCYov

Sure according to RTE it was an overthrow!

Seriously???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Seriously???

The disinformation campaign continues - they came for Hendy's lineout and stockdale's defence, now they're coming for Herring's throwing. Its Ulster against the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Seriously???

No.

Interesting the whole inside story of what happened. We so rarely get any subsequent insight into the mechanics and emotions behind a promising young player not fulfilling (temporarily, in Regan's case) their promise. Some familiar names in that process - Andtess, Bronson Ross.

Doubt he'd come back fro anything other than international honours, which doesn't look likely at the moment, given the way our locks are playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

bayern wrote: »

Saw that at the end of the week. Need not only a new head of Ulster Academy, but an U20s coach as well.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He only started doing the Ireland gig very recently didn't he?

awec wrote: »
    He only started doing the Ireland gig very recently didn't he?

Yes Jan.

bayern wrote: »
    Yes Jan.

I'm guessing this Ealing stuff came out of the blue then.

I suppose he's been in the position 6 years and some fresh blood may be no harm.

I'm guessing this Ealing stuff came out of the blue then.

I suppose he's been in the position 6 years and some fresh blood may be no harm.

odd that he is leaving just after that promotion, but read somewhere that he is from near the Ealing area.

Given the back talent in academy, maybe a forward coach coming in to take over academy could help.. who knows.. looks like a big loss all the same for Ulster given their A side this season.

Rory Best keeps mentioning that he'd love to get involved with Ulster again...

Rory Best keeps mentioning that he'd love to get involved with Ulster again...

stranger things have happened... no other obvious candidate I can think of at the moment

• Advertisement

Ulster are considering Willie Faloon (whose name my autocorrect just changed to Whole Gallon) for the Academy, with a role for Rory Best.

Advertisement