Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Ulster are considering Willie Faloon (whose name my autocorrect just changed to Whole Gallon) for the Academy, with a role for Rory Best.

Both jobs are thought to be being advertised this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

RuPi wrote: »
    Both jobs are thought to be being advertised this week.

I'd imagine theyr have to. Willie may get it, But if there were some kind of super Academy-running genius out there determined to be part of the Ulster set-up, I'd be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I'd imagine theyr have to. Willie may get it, But if there were some kind of super Academy-running genius out there determined to be part of the Ulster set-up, I'd be happy with that.
    Bayern, your time has come.

Bayern, your time has come.

He'd continuously be forgetting half the players in the Ulster Academy.

More interested in his Schoolboys of St Michael's Panini Sticker Collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Would be happy enough with Willie Faloon & Rory Best.

Just a shame we don’t have an international back, historically wishing to return to Northern Ireland to set up home once again. Pretty sure they could add something to that ticket as well. Though family circumstances have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think we need someone who knows schools and age grade rugby inside out.

If that's Rory or Willie then great. Rory has obviously been involved with the age grade teams I think, I know Faloon is coach at Armagh so would have a good idea of the top club players at least. I'm not sure if he's involved with the Ulster age group sides or not, I thought he was to be honest, but could be wrong on that.

I was listening to the UR podcast last week and there was a suggestion that the Schools Cup could be played in May or June.

launish116 wrote: »
    Would be happy enough with Willie Faloon & Rory Best.

Just a shame we don’t have an international back, historically wishing to return to Northern Ireland to set up home once again. Pretty sure they could add something to that ticket as well. Though family circumstances have changed.

I'd have thought that that ship had long sailed now. Ruan would have been great for someone like Nathan Doak.

I wonder what the best sort of set up is.

As I said in my earlier post we beed someone who knows the age group scene well and knows the best players, but I suppose that doesn't necessarily need to be the Head of the Academy. It depends on the job specs I suppose.

Apparently the fact that Willie is an ex-player is seen as a bonus.

Apparently the fact that Willie is an ex-player is seen as a bonus.

Yes & no! Fresh ideas always help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ulster A will play a double-header friendly against Leinster A and Munster A at the weekend at the IRFU's High Performance Centre - 40 mins against both teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Ulster A will play a double-header friendly against Leinster A and Munster A at the weekend at the IRFU's High Performance Centre - 40 mins against both teams.

Why are Connacht not involved?

Sadly think we’ll not see Coetzee again!

Irishexaminer saying Addison close to return.

See Munster signed another bok lock, you’d think we could get another forward!

We'll have Carter and Nakarawa as NIE next season.

Munster will have, what? Snyman, De Allende, Jenkins?

What we really need is a real leader - someone like Muller, rather than Coetzee. I think that's what we're missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

We'll have Carter and Nakarawa as NIE next season.

Munster will have, what? Snyman, De Allende, Jenkins?

What we really need is a real leader - someone like Muller, rather than Coetzee. I think that's what we're missing.

We def need a top quality back-row. We only really have McCann coming through. The rest don't look like they'll make the jump up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    We def need a top quality back-row. We only really have McCann coming through. The rest don't look like they'll make the jump up.

I got one. Shannon Frizell!!
    Craig Newby Highlanders link.
    & i think he's out of contract this season.
    We can dream anyway!

https://youtu.be/5c0JVzgT8us

Dan McF gung-ho about the Challenge Cup.

Will Addison is back training albeit not fully - Dan think we'll see him before the end of the season.

Angus Curtis is back - may play for the A team this weekend. Will be interesting to see if at OH or IC.

Quins have been great this season - better than when we last played them. Back to playing as they did "in their pomp".

I got one. Shannon Frizell!!
    Craig Newby Highlanders link.
    & i think he's out of contract this season.
    We can dream anyway!

We can indeed! Be reluctant to play two NIQ in back row but we just don’t have the power.

A backrow/loose head would be very welcome! Has the squad been confirmed? No more signing?

Carter/Nakawara really need to hit the ground running!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I find it mad that they renewed Carter.
    Stick Nakarwara in the second row and go get a back row beast like Frizzell is what Ulster need more.

I find it mad that they renewed Carter.
    Stick Nakarwara in the second row and go get a back row beast like Frizzell is what Ulster need more.

I hope we go all in with Izuchwuku next season. He looks like very exciting prospect. But Carter will still be important when Henderson is with Ireland.

Likewise McCann needs to be getting big game time next season as well in the back row, given Jordi is playing great stuff at the minute, Nakarawa will have to hit the ground running as well.

Obviously if we could get someone like Frizzell then brilliant, but that isn't happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

bilston wrote: »
    I hope we go all in with Izuchwuku next season. He looks like very exciting prospect. But Carter will still be important when Henderson is with Ireland.

Likewise McCann needs to be getting big game time next season as well in the back row, given Jordi is playing great stuff at the minute, Nakarawa will have to hit the ground running as well.

Obviously if we could get someone like Frizzell then brilliant, but that isn't happening.

Seeing as David O’Connor just had shoulder surgery, makes me wonder was Izzys game time forced rather than our hope on form and opportunity for academy.

Stranger things have happened, but once again it looks like another season were the fans can clearly highlight the issues and management haven’t bolstered them.

Dubinusa wrote: »

I can't see it. Who would come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Possibly VDF? If he's still behind Connors. Deegan I think is also a possibility. He has a ways to go to get back into the international picture, while trying to get match time with Leinster. I think he'd get more minutes at Ulster!
    Now! Can we have Lowry?

Possibly VDF? If he's still behind Connors. Deegan I think is also a possibility. He has a ways to go to get back into the international picture, while trying to get match time with Leinster. I think he'd get more minutes at Ulster!
    Now! Can we have Lowry?

Not a mission VDF leaves. More chance of Deegan

Now! Can we have Lowry?

Ach ,sure why would youse even want Lowry? To play in the Pro14 games that Harry Byrne is far too good for, I suppose...

So if Burns is out for Quins, who starts at 10? Lowry or Madigan?

I suppose if Addison was available it would be a more interesting question, but I assume Lowry will have to play 15. Unless Jacob plays 15 with Lyttle at 11 and Baloucoune at 14.

I suppose if Addison was available it would be a more interesting question, but I assume Lowry will have to play 15. Unless Jacob plays 15 with Lyttle at 11 and Baloucoune at 14.

They might put Lowry to 15 to have two "10s" on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Hopefully Lowry. I think he's a top prospect at 10 and could push himself into the Ireland team at 10.

Stick Stockdale or McIlroy at 15.

• Advertisement

My All-Conquering Ulster Team

1) EOS
    2) Herring
    3) Moore
    4) Henderson
    5) O'Connor
    6) Rea
    7) Murphy
    8) Timoney
    9) Cooney
    10) Madigan
    11) Stockdale
    12) McCloskey
    13) Hume
    14) Baloucoune
    15) Lowry

16) Warwick
    17) Andrew
    18) O'Toole
    19) Treadwell
    20) Reidy
    21) Mathewson
    22) Moore
    23) Lyttle

Nothing surprising from me. I do think our bench coming on can be where things start to slip away from us, and Edinburgh for me was a masterstroke from McFarland, where we sprung EOS and TOT off the bench and things started to ramp up. But with McGrath absent, I don't trust Warwick to start, to be honest.

But that's why Reidy is on my bench - Rea has come back into some form, having disappeared for the mid-part of the season, and Reidy against flagging teams, going hard and giving us an injection of energy in the last thirty/twenty minutes, is a good use of resources. If it's started to open up, that's the time for Moore (S) and Lyttle, as well. Lowry is currently our vest fifteen, and has started something like two senior games as ten - i don't know that I'd be happy him starting a QF against a team the quality of Quins.

Advertisement