Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

4 x 9's picked for Ulster A. What is going on there?

Curtis seems to have moved into utility back territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Curtis seems to have moved into utility back territory.

Was thinking that. Wonder why UR don't fancy him at 9. Stronge the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The back row selection doesn't bode well for Aaron Hall, it would suggest he is behind both Dunleavy and McCann.

I'd be interested to hear how Hayden Hyde goes

Edit - and Doak. One thing to stick a schoolboy on the wing (as we saw with Sexton), another thing to throw one in at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

It's really good to see him back playing, but I think we have to be patient with Hall - Allison came back from a long time off as well and didn't look up to speed at u20 level.

On the four scrumhalfs - I haven't been impressed by Curtis and Stronge tbh, and it's unlikely they're much better in the back three. I'm thinking that they're being played there because we're short of talent in the back three at that level, as the likes of Lyttle, Baloucoune and Lowry were promoted early. Lewis Finlay looked solid enough whenever I've seen him and he seems to be involved with the sub-academy. Don't know much about Doak, but starting for the A side as a schoolboy is a good vote of confidence from the coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

McCann seems to be really making an impression and is a year younger than Allison?

Is Hall primarily an openside? rated Agnew highly, hoping he can stay fit this season.

then there's the question of Rea Jnr missing, might suggest he's going to get some senior opportunities early on?

God it's good to see some homegrown back rows with potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Was thinking that. Wonder why UR don't fancy him at 9. Stronge the same.
    From what I have read he's crap (Curtis).

launish116 wrote: »
    McCann seems to be really making an impression and is a year younger than Allison?

Is Hall primarily an openside? rated Agnew highly, hoping he can stay fit this season.

then there's the question of Rea Jnr missing, might suggest he's going to get some senior opportunities early on?

God it's good to see some homegrown back rows with potential.

Unless he's injured I'd say Marcus Rea will definitely be involved with the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Agreed

Great win for the A side.

35-32 away to the Scarlets

83rd minute try by McCann sealed the game.

Sounds like this woulda been a better watch than thon Ireland game.

• Advertisement

83rd minute try by McCann sealed the game.

Sounds like this woulda been a better watch than thon Ireland game.

Hopefully it will go up on yt or at least highlights will

U18 beat Exiles 48v10.

Great weather and some very good rugby on show.

U18 clubs put up a great fight v Leinster clubs but couldn't hold out.

U18 beat Exiles 48v10.

Great weather and some very good rugby on show.

U18 clubs put up a great fight v Leinster clubs but couldn't hold out.

U18 schools lost out to Leinster on count back as both finished with 2 wins and 1 loss. Ulster 2nd overall.

Ulster clubs finish 4th but fought hard in every game.

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/1166321604319748096?s=20

Ulster A tries - all through the pack, nothing fancy. Reid took his try well though, and as someone on another forum pointed out, he looks a fair bit bigger now.

Nice interview with Faddes.

https://www.the42.ie/matt-faddes-ulster-style-4785231-Aug2019/

So during the RWC, even if Addison does go, our backline should be pretty good.

We could conceivably field Cooney-Burns-Faddes-McCloskey-Marshall-Gilroy-Lowry against team stripped of their internationals.

Bubbling just under, we have Johnson, Lyttle, Baloucoune, Ludik, Curtis (who I'd like to see more of) and Hume. Then, Kernohan and Stewart Moore. Until the traditional swathes of injuries descend on us, I'm looking forward to seeing who we put out in our backfield.

I’m a little worried about our pack without Henderson and Coetzee though. We’ll be lacking any front-foot ball or forward momentum, and most teams will be able to cope with us without their internationals.

Several players will be key for us imo. If Jack McGrath doesn’t travel, I’m hoping he can step up his game for us after a fresh start, Treadwell will be looking to replicate some of his fantastic games with a little more consistency, Carter played well in super rugby so hopefully he can hit the ground running for us, and our young props (O’Sullivan and O’Toole) have to show improvement in the scrum.

Not looking for us to dominate all before us, but I’d like to see noticeable improvements in key areas if we’re to build on last year. I think we surprised ourselves with how well we managed considering what happened to our squad, but they’ve had plenty of time together now and an off season to prepare, so progression is a must if we want to start competing in the near future.

Failing that, our backline should be worth the price of admission.

I’m a little worried about our pack without Henderson and Coetzee though. We’ll be lacking any front-foot ball or forward momentum, and most teams will be able to cope with us without their internationals.

Several players will be key for us imo. If Jack McGrath doesn’t travel, I’m hoping he can step up his game for us after a fresh start, Treadwell will be looking to replicate some of his fantastic games with a little more consistency, Carter played well in super rugby so hopefully he can hit the ground running for us, and our young props (O’Sullivan and O’Toole) have to show improvement in the scrum.

Not looking for us to dominate all before us, but I’d like to see noticeable improvements in key areas if we’re to build on last year. I think we surprised ourselves with how well we managed considering what happened to our squad, but they’ve had plenty of time together now and an off season to prepare, so progression is a must if we want to start competing in the near future.

Failing that, our backline should be worth the price of admission.

True. But I’m hoping actually having a pre-season with McFarland will help, to say nothing of our new forwards coach.

But then again, it’s Ulster - it’s the hope that kills you.

Ulster A team to play Cardiff Blues, Celtic Cup Round 2, Saturday 31st August, 7.30pm at Malone RFC (Free entry):

(15-9): Conor Rankin, Ethan McIlroy, Ross Adair, Hayden Hyde, Graham Curtis, Bruce Houston, Nathan Doak;
    (1-8): Callum Reid, Tom Stewart, Peter Cooper, Matthew Dalton, Jack Regan, Joe Dunleavy, David McCann (Capt), Azur Allison.

Replacements: Claytan Milligan, Paul Mullen, Jonny Blair, JJ McKee, Matthew Agnew, Aaron Hall, Lewis Finlay, Greg Hutley

Is it bad I'm more interested in this than the Ireland game this weekend?

Ulster A team to play Cardiff Blues, Celtic Cup Round 2, Saturday 31st August, 7.30pm at Malone RFC (Free entry):

(15-9): Conor Rankin, Ethan McIlroy, Ross Adair, Hayden Hyde, Graham Curtis, Bruce Houston, Nathan Doak;
    (1-8): Callum Reid, Tom Stewart, Peter Cooper, Matthew Dalton, Jack Regan, Joe Dunleavy, David McCann (Capt), Azur Allison.

Replacements: Claytan Milligan, Paul Mullen, Jonny Blair, JJ McKee, Matthew Agnew, Aaron Hall, Lewis Finlay, Greg Hutley

A couple of interesting selections there, but Ross Adair and Graham Curtis on the wing aren't the most inspiring options. Might be a case of just getting bodies in those positions - Stewart Moore is injured I think, and there's no point rushing younger centre options, and Iwan Hughes and Aaron Sexton are training with the 7's team.

And is this Dalton's first game back for Ulster after playing in Australia for a while? Should be interesting to see where he's at.

• Advertisement

A couple of interesting selections there, but Ross Adair and Graham Curtis on the wing aren't the most inspiring options. Might be a case of just getting bodies in those positions - Stewart Moore is injured I think, and there's no point rushing younger centre options, and Iwan Hughes and Aaron Sexton are training with the 7's team.

And is this Dalton's first game back for Ulster after playing in Australia for a while? Should be interesting to see where he's at.

Is Adair not 13?

Is Adair not 13?

Yea I meant that playing Curtis on the wing is an uninspiring selection, as he's a scrumhalf.

Yea I meant that playing Curtis on the wing is an uninspiring selection, as he's a scrumhalf.

Keeping in mind, academy likely wasn't expecting the likes of Lyttle, Baloucoune, Kernohan etc being upgraded to first team?

Keeping in mind, academy likely wasn't expecting the likes of Lyttle, Baloucoune, Kernohan etc being upgraded to first team?

Absolutely, in that context things don't seem too bad. There's also Sexton away playing 7's, although I'm not sold on it as a good development pathway at all.

Absolutely, in that context things don't seem too bad. There's also Sexton away playing 7's, although I'm not sold on it as a good development pathway at all.

Baloucoune didn't end up to bad to be fair, teaches the use of space and 1 on 1 defending.

So many backline options

Baloucoune didn't end up to bad to be fair, teaches the use of space and 1 on 1 defending

Don't think Baloucoune actually played too much tbh. Don't really buy those arguments either as the spacing is completely different between the codes, 1 on 1 defending isn't limited to 7's, and 7's doesn't allow you to practice game situations that you would face in XV's. There's nothing you gain from 7's that you can't get in XV's, but plenty that you are missing out on developing completely - a kicking game, competing in the air, and defence and attack schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think that many of the countries that have always been world series sides have used it for certain players
    Don't think Baloucoune actually played too much tbh. Don't really buy those arguments either as the spacing is completely different between the codes, 1 on 1 defending isn't limited to 7's, and 7's doesn't allow you to practice game situations that you would face in XV's. There's nothing you gain from 7's that you can't get in XV's, but plenty that you are missing out on developing completely - a kicking game, competing in the air, and defence and attack schemes.
    Yes spacing is different but it allows high level focus that otherwise mightnt be option for players at a time. Better to play 7s and some club rugby in AIL and then step up to pro14 when ready.

Exciting front and back rows for the As. McCann as Captain is also interesting. He must be in the running to skipper the Irish 20s this coming season.

https://www.the42.ie/celtic-cup-round-two-team-news-4789401-Aug2019/

"14 of Ulster’s starting team for tomorrow’s visit of Cardiff Blues to Malone RFC [KO 7.30pm] are in the province’s academy or sub-academy, with last season’s Ulster club player of the year, Ross Adair, the exception."

A competition being used astutely, bring the Academy boys on. Just want to see those backrows start to break through.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Exciting front and back rows for the As. McCann as Captain is also interesting. He must be in the running to skipper the Irish 20s this coming season.

McCann seems to have leapfrogged Allison in the leadership stakes.

Advertisement