Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

bilston wrote: »
    Agree with all that. Hume was excellent, but Marty Moore was everywhere. Agree Lowry didn't have his best night.

I see Dan said they hoped to have a couple of players back for the semi final. I wonder if Addison is one of them. Hopefully him, Hendy and Carter are available. Not sure where we are with McGrath and Marshall?

Hopefully some of them are available for opening rounds of rainbow cup, get them some match fitness. Carter & McGrath have some serious work to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

launish116 wrote: »
    Hopefully some of them are available for opening rounds of rainbow cup, get them some match fitness. Carter & McGrath have some serious work to do!

Agreed. Those two would be the most crucial to get back. Addison and Marshall back would be nice but we need our experienced forwards much more.

Dan said that Angus Curtis might get some gametime in the secret A game against Munster and Leinster last weekend. I wonder with Johnson moving on whether he might be viewed as a 10 rather than a 12.

Agreed. Those two would be the most crucial to get back. Addison and Marshall back would be nice but we need our experienced forwards much more.

Dan said that Angus Curtis might get some gametime in the secret A game against Munster and Leinster last weekend. I wonder with Johnson moving on whether he might be viewed as a 10 rather than a 12.

Both McGrath and to a lesser degree Carter really have been a let down. I know Carter started to really show his worth, just worried he’ll need another 4 or 5 games to get back up to speed! Likewise McGrath has been awol far to often with injury in another position we need reinforcements!

Really hate doom and gloom but that first half performance just highlighted are flaws again. Dread to see injury list for last nights win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'd have thought that Addison would need to play in the Connacht match to be even considered for the semi final, even then I'd say he'd be looking at a bench spot at best.

Same might apply to Jack McGrath.

Henderson would come straight in, and I think Carter probably would as well, if selected ahead of Big Al which is far from certain.

Don't think Marshall would feature, Hume is playing really well at the moment. I'm a big fan of Luke, but I think it will be hard for him to get back in now.

Both McGrath and to a lesser degree Carter really have been a let down. I know Carter started to really show his worth, just worried he’ll need another 4 or 5 games to get back up to speed! Likewise McGrath has been awol far to often with injury in another position we need reinforcements!

Really hate doom and gloom but that first half performance just highlighted are flaws again. Dread to see injury list for last nights win.

We started off soft, with a porous defence, recalibrated at half-time, came out and went up to a gear that Northampton couldn't live with. It wasn't an 80 minute performance, we stayed calm and got the job done.

If we can get Hendo back, the leadership, physicality and talent he brings, we shouldn't fear any other team in this competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Another away match

Away to Leicester!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Leicester v Ulster the semi

That's winnable.

That's winnable.

Indeed another big pack!

• Advertisement

At least it isn't Montpellier away.

Indeed another big pack!

Hopefully Henderson and Carter are available

Hopefully Henderson and Carter are available

Will definitely need them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Ulster just needed to avoid Montpellier away and have done that so good draw (Montpellier are not up to much either but have a monster of a pack that could over power Ulster).

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    Ulster just needed to avoid Montpellier away and have done that so good draw (Montpellier are not up to much either but have a monster of a pack that could over power Ulster).

Ulster really need Coetzee fully fit. Jasper Wiese will have a field day!

So with the Rainbow Farce (TM) not running is there a chance we come into the SF undercooked!?

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    So with the Rainbow Farce (TM) not running is there a chance we come into the SF undercooked!?

That'd be my concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Presumably the interpros will still happen

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There's no reason to cancel the interpros.

Yeah, they'll play Inter Pros, possibly even home and away.

I'd rotate against Connacht anyway to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah, they'll play Inter Pros, possibly even home and away.

I'd rotate against Connacht anyway to be honest.

I’d say Leinster and Ulster will both go close to fully loaded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

No because the provinces matches should still take place, it’s just a question if the rest of it will happen but surely the first two rounds will happen as they are in one country and should not be effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Was Marcel not ruled out for 3 months from beginning of March? Is there a chance he will return sooner?

Brewster wrote: »
    Was Marcel not ruled out for 3 months from beginning of March? Is there a chance he will return sooner?

No, he's gone. I think they said he might get back for the imaginary later rounds of the hypothetical Rainbow Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Weise is one of the top players in the prem in terms of physicality and power. He's their coetzee. Leibenberg is dam handy as well.

Their pack is a problem. Borthwick has transformed them in recent weeks. The backs when fully fit are decent as well. Steward is a great young player.

Give us Carter hendo and mcgrath and I'd fancy us. Otherwise our forwards need some biltong.

Scythica wrote: »
    Weise is one of the top players in the prem in terms of physicality and power. He's their coetzee. Leibenberg is dam handy as well.

Their pack is a problem. Borthwick has transformed them in recent weeks. The backs when fully fit are decent as well. Steward is a great young player.

Give us Carter hendo and mcgrath and I'd fancy us. Otherwise our forwards need some biltong.

Had a look at weises stats. He's 'apparently' 1cm shorter and 4kg lighter than timoney. I know online stats are up for debate but it comes back to something I mentioned before...it's coaching and Attitude that make the difference. Some players just have that aggressive determined edge. Some need it coached into them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wiese is a one trick pony. He's had a good start to his Leicester career but is not anything special and he wasn't a certain starter for the Cheetahs. His discipline is also really poor. I think he has 3 or 4 cards this season already.

If Ulster have their homework done on him, they can shut him down which will really limit Leicester.

Buer wrote: »
    Wiese is a one trick pony. He's had a good start to his Leicester career but is not anything special and he wasn't a certain starter for the Cheetahs. His discipline is also really poor. I think he has 3 or 4 cards this season already.

If Ulster have their homework done on him, they can shut him down which will really limit Leicester.

He’s like Coetzee to some degree, gives them a lot of go forward ball. His discipline has been poor, though he’s makes up for it with aggression and grunt. We struggle on the backfoot, nullifying him will be key. Leicester’s pack will be a step up again.

anyone know the prize money for winning the Challenge cup?

I saw figures of £518K for Leinster winning the Champions Cup in 2018. Not really a huge sum when you consider the effort and cost required to win it. The Challenge Cup is maybe half that or even less?!

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    anyone know the prize money for winning the Challenge cup?

I saw figures of £518K for Leinster winning the Champions Cup in 2018. Not really a huge sum when you consider the effort and cost required to win it. The Challenge Cup is maybe half that or even less?!

Think I read or heard that the prize money is pitiful, to the point where it doesn't cover costs.

Advertisement