Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Apologies if it's been mentioned already, but Rory Best is off to Seattle as a coach.

With Clarke?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

That's very melodramatic. At around fifty minutes we took off Henderson, Herring, O'Toole, Cooney, Burns and Stockdale to keep them fit for next week. Our issue in the last fifteen was leadership.

If we were being bullied in the forwards every week, we wouldn't have gone a season losing only to Leinster in the Pro14.

Certainly not a good excuse this time, leadership, when your opposition missed its 3 Captain Butler/Aki/Roux. And had a young bench playing in the end too (Sullivan, Burke, Murray, C.Fitzgerald, not even talking about O'Brien and amazing Duggan)

Connacht were on a par with a very decent Ulster team, and won, that's great performance, simple as this:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

launish116 wrote: »
    With Clarke?

Yep Clarke is there too, he's scrum coach apparently, not sure exactly what Best's role will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

connachta wrote: »
    Certainly not a good excuse this time, leadership, when your opposition missed its 3 Captain Butler/Aki/Roux. And had a young bench playing in the end too (Sullivan, Burke, Murray, C.Fitzgerald, not even talking about O'Brien and amazing Duggan)

Connacht were on a par with a very decent Ulster team, and won, that's great performance, simple as this:)

It's not an excuse. It's an explanation. Do you need me to spell out the difference?

Well done on the win. I know you really want me to care, but I didn't care when they announced the Bungle Cup, I didn't care last week, I didn't care yesterday before the game and I didn't really care during the game. And I don't care now. I've been posting that consistently. For weeks. It's not a matter of running Connacht down.

If we make a hames of the Leicester game, I'll be livid. But I don't care about this loss. I want this nonsense cup to be about McCann, Doak, Reid. You can scroll up and read me posting that multiple times.

It's not an excuse. It's an explanation. Do you need me to spell out the difference?

Well done on the win. I know you really want me to care, but I didn't care when they announced the Bungle Cup, I didn't care last week, I didn't care yesterday before the game and I didn't really care during the game. And I don't care now. I've been posting that consistently. For weeks. It's not a matter of running Connacht down.

If we make a hames of the Leicester game, I'll be livid. But I don't care about this loss. I want this nonsense cup to be about McCann, Doak, Reid. You can scroll up and read me posting that multiple times.

Wow my post was not a aggression

just saying Connacht were on a par with Ulster in "leardership lack" and won on merit :)

• Advertisement

Wow my post was not a aggression

just saying Connacht were on a par with Ulster in "leardership lack" and won on merit :)

Who said they didn't win on merit?

"Ulster lost because we didn't have the leaders on the field."

"Connacht were missing leaders too."

Well, okay. Not sure how that materially impacts on my point, but I'll make a note of it.

Anyway, Connacht did play well, and were deserved winners. Congrats.

"Ulster lost because we didn't have the leaders on the field."

"Connacht were missing leaders too."

Well, okay. Not sure how that materially impacts on my point, but I'll make a note of it.

Anyway, Connacht did play well, and were deserved winners. Congrats.

And BTW, to prove I'm not dishonnest or scornful, the final pass to Marmion before the Captain Challenge was forward IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭hold my beer

And BTW, to prove I'm not dishonnest or scornful, the final pass to Marmion before the Captain Challenge was forward IMO

Didn't think that at all. It came out of his hands backwards.

Edit: just watched it again, never forward. Don't know how anyone could say it was.

Didn't think that at all. It came out of his hands backwards.

Even with "inertia", I don't see it that way

• Advertisement

Even with "inertia", I don't see it that way

Watch it again. Backwards all day every day.

https://youtu.be/D4kQGv00qgs?t=169

• Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nah. Marmion overran it and had to reach backwards but it was clearly backwards out of the hands. Referee and TMO reviewed it.

Which sort of makes a mockery of the Captain's Challenge. The captain has to challenge a specific incident which Connacht did. The referee then reviews other elements of the play in the replay which he wouldn't have done without the challenge.

So basically, it means a captain can lash out any old challenge at a ruck late in the game in the hope the referee spots something else. May as well roll the dice.

Watch it again. Backwards all day every day.

https://youtu.be/D4kQGv00qgs?t=169

I won't complain, anyway :)

but even runnning fast, the ball can't arrive 2 meters forward in a 5 meters pass, if it's not touchy initialy, to say the least

I won't complain, anyway :)

but even runnning fast, the ball can't arrive 2 meters forward in a 5 meters pass, if it's not touchy initialy, to say the least

It wasn't anywhere near 2 metres. And it absolutely can move that far forward as long as the ball left the thrower's hands backwards.

It wasn't anywhere near 2 metres. And it's called momentum, not inertia.

Whatever you call it, the pass came from right after the 10m-line to well beyond.

I know the thing with physics, but there it's not only this, but slightly forward IMO

Anyway:)

Whatever you call it, the pass came from right after the 10m-line to well beyond.

I know the thing with physics, but there it's not only this, but slightly forward IMO

Anyway:)

Do you think it left the thrower's hands backwards?

Do you think it left the thrower's hands backwards?

That's the point. No
    Some (including the refs) think it's straight-on-the-line, I think it's slightly forward.

That's the point. No
    Some (including the refs) think it's straight-on-the-line, I think it's slightly frward.

It's clearly backwards out of his hands. Anyway, who cares. The ref called it and I would would 100% agree with them. Not even slightly in doubt for me.

It's clearly backwards out of his hands. Anyway, who cares. The ref called it and I would would 100% agree with them. Not even slightly in doubt for me.

it's about keeping the game alive when there's a doubt they won't blow it, it's good.
    But there's a doubt, I'm not the only one to see it forward from Fitz hands

it's about keeping the game alive when there's a doubt they won't blow it, it's good.
    But there's a doubt, I'm not the only one to see it forward from Fitz hands

There's no doubt. And I'll leave it at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm not the only one to see it forward from Fitz hands

I think you are the only one.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I think you are the only one.

Really? Not what is said on social media. And it's not just stupid angry fans

It's tight

But I'm happy with the decision of course

Leciester v Saints on now, if anyone wants to see what awaits us next week.

Leciester v Saints on now, if anyone wants to see what awaits us next week.

Far too nice out to sit in watching rugby.

Are you watching it? Ominous?

Far too nice out to sit in watching rugby.

Are you watching it? Ominous?

iPad in the garden!

Saints winning, Leicester had 2 stupid yellows!

Nadolo has scored twice, though doesn’t look fully fit.

They’ll struggle with our tempo, but if it turns into an arm wrestle we’ll struggle.

iPad in the garden!

Saints winning, Leicester had 2 stupid yellows!

Nadolo has scored twice, though doesn’t look fully fit.

They’ll struggle with our tempo, but if it turns into an arm wrestle we’ll struggle.

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Yeah the fact that Fitzgerald was stopped in his tracks immediately after passing gave the illusion that it was forward. In real time I thought it was forward. But on replay it did come out of the hands backwards.

TRC10 wrote: »
    Yeah the fact that Fitzgerald was stopped in his tracks immediately after passing gave the illusion that it was forward. In real time I thought it was forward. But on replay it did come out of the hands backwards.

As an Ulsterman, I didn't think it was forward. I agree with McFarland that the collapsed maul call was ballicks, but that pass was fine.

Okay. Back to the serious business.

Get Murphy, Moore, McCloskey, Mathewson and Madigan back in. (Do we have anyone else whose surname starts with an M?)

I personally would still have Lowry at 15. Too soon for Addison after fifteen whole months out, surely?

Speaking of "M"s... Milasinovich. Did I imagine him? Surely he should have leapfrogged Ross Kane? What is going on with him? He looks a unit, but seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth. Maybe he'll get gametime during the illustrious Bungle Cup. Really need McCann and Doak to see some game time against Munster and Leinster. (In Munster's case, not least so they win against the weans and convince themselves they've turned a corner and are now in the top two provinces...)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Okay. Back to the serious business.

Get Murphy, Moore, McCloskey, Mathewson and Madigan back in. (Do we have anyone else whose surname starts with an M?)

I personally would still have Lowry at 15. Too soon for Addison after fifteen whole months out, surely?

Speaking of "M"s... Milasinovich. Did I imagine him? Surely he should have leapfrogged Ross Kane? What is going on with him? He looks a unit, but seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth. Maybe he'll get gametime during the illustrious Bungle Cup. Really need McCann and Doak to see some game time against Munster and Leinster. (In Munster's case, not least so they win against the weans and convince themselves they've turned a corner and are now in the top two provinces...)

Was Kane playing the other night? How did he go?

I feel he is lucky to still have a contract tbh.

Advertisement