Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Well things have obviously gone pear shaped for him lately. However, I said "if he turns up and does his best" - then he's on a different plane of existence to Papali'i, there is simply no comparison. Obviously needs to be injury free too.

He could well be a Fardy signing, or he could be an Owen Finegan signing. If I was a betting man I'd go for the latter but you never know.

I think Ulster would get more out of Papali’i to be fair. I do think Dan will have an impact on Nakawara but not enough to make up for we still lack.

My biggest fear is us and our dire league are going to be ate alive by the South African franchises! Have you seen the blue Bulls signing?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

So next year our NIQs are

Alby
    Carter
    Faddes
    Nakarawa
    Georgian prop

Alby may be moving on (guessing)

Carter long term injuries but could still be a good signing but never up to a Muller or Fardy level

Faddes is good enough but not too sure if he fits into our 23 anymore so somewhat a waste of a spot.

Nakarawa could be a great signing but currently phones it in for Weegees. Will wait and see.

Georgian prop I think just about starts for the As?!

Can we make a wishlist of signings please that start and end in the forwards? Wonder how much money it would take to sign Ardie Savea and PSDT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Scythica wrote: »
    So next year our NIQs are

Alby
    Carter
    Faddes
    Nakarawa
    Georgian prop

Alby may be moving on (guessing)

Carter long term injuries but could still be a good signing but never up to a Muller or Fardy level

Faddes is good enough but not too sure if he fits into our 23 anymore so somewhat a waste of a spot.

Nakarawa could be a great signing but currently phones it in for Weegees. Will wait and see.

Georgian prop I think just about starts for the As?!

Can we make a wishlist of signings please that start and end in the forwards? Wonder how much money it would take to sign Ardie Savea and PSDT.

Who is the Georgian prop?

Pretty sure both Matthewson and Faddes are gone at the end of the season?

I think Carter and Nakarawa are our only 2 NIQs next season. But happy to be corrected.

launish116 wrote: »
    My biggest fear is us and our dire league are going to be ate alive by the South African franchises! Have you seen the blue Bulls signing?

I saw a post last week from sydthebeat who I believe watches a lot of SH rugby and he compared the Stormers to Ulster and Munster and the Bulls and Sharks to the likes of Glasgow and Edinburgh and the Lions to being better the weaker Welsh and Italian teams.

Now to be fair the Bulls have recruited well so may be stronger than that, but I think the point is we don't know really know how good they will be. Let's not forget a lot of the top Saffers play in England and France (even Munster).

They'll be very hard to beat in SA, but I'm not sure they will be as dominant as some fear.

In saying that the Dragons or Zebre playing away to the Stormers could be amusing

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

bilston wrote: »
    Who is the Georgian prop?

Pretty sure both Matthewson and Faddes are gone at the end of the season?

I think Carter and Nakarawa are our only 2 NIQs next season. But happy to be corrected.

Milasinovich which after googling turns out he's a saffa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 BossMullet

Assume Georgian Prop = Gareth Milasinovich? He is Irish Qualified through his grandfather I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

BossMullet wrote: »
    Assume Georgian Prop = Gareth Milasinovich? He is Irish Qualified through his grandfather I believe.

Has played a bit for the A's. Huge guy who doesn't really stand out for the A team unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

He isnt Georgian. He is South African and his grandfather is from Ulster and played for the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

soo....

can anyone be @rsed to post a team sheet for the fixture against Munster in the lv-036_800x.jpg?v=15671570081477654598_435.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A team hopefully. I would like us to show this "competition" the disdain it deserves.

• Advertisement

Would like to see something along the lines of:

1) Reid
    2) Herring
    3) O'Toole
    4) Treadwell
    5) O'Connor
    6) McCann
    7) Murphy
    8) Timoney
    9) Shanahan
    10) Lowry
    11) Lyttle
    12) McCloskey
    13) Hume
    14) McIlroy
    15) Addison

Given Shanahan will be our primary back-up 9 next season, might as well give him some game-time with Doak on bench perhaps. Would also like to see Tom Stewart be given his debut from the bench if he is fit again.

Would like to see something along the lines of:

1) Reid
    2) Herring
    3) O'Toole
    4) Treadwell
    5) O'Connor
    6) McCann
    7) Murphy
    8) Timoney
    9) Shanahan
    10) Lowry
    11) Lyttle
    12) McCloskey
    13) Hume
    14) McIlroy
    15) Addison

Given Shanahan will be our primary back-up 9 next season, might as well give him some game-time with Doak on bench perhaps. Would also like to see Tom Stewart be given his debut from the bench if he is fit again.

Wonder would there be any chance for likes of Tom Stewart to get involved? Also like to see Finley or Doak at 9.

From what I have seen in the training videos released by Ulster, Stewart does appear to be training with the squad and by all accounts would have made this debut earlier this season had it not been for injury so would be surprised if he doesn't feature at all during the Rainbow cup.

Did think Doak looked more raw than I expected in his appearance against Munster earlier in the year, not sure if I would want him starting at this stage.

I would definitely like to see a lot of the academy guys get meaningful game time, just wary of the benefit of sending lambs to the slaughter ala our annual christmas jaunt down to the RDS. I imagine Munster will really be going for this competition so don't expect them to put out a weakened side.

Interestingly, the informed poster over at the other forum suggested Addison will be playing 13 with 'plenty' of academy guys featured over the rest of the rainbow cup.

Is Allison injured or just not likely to feature?

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Is Allison injured or just not likely to feature?

Something I’ve been asking myself for the last year. Think some thought he had been given another year in academy.

Ulster:
    (15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Rob Lyttle, Will Addison, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Michael Lowry, Alby Mathewson;
    (1-8) Andrew Warwick, John Andrew, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Jordi Murphy, Marcus Rea, David McCann.

Replacements: Rob Herring, Callum Reid, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Angus Curtis, James Hume.

launish116 wrote: »
    Ulster:
    (15-9) Jacob Stockdale, Rob Lyttle, Will Addison, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Michael Lowry, Alby Mathewson;
    (1-8) Andrew Warwick, John Andrew, Tom O’Toole, Alan O’Connor, Iain Henderson (Capt.), Jordi Murphy, Marcus Rea, David McCann.

Replacements: Rob Herring, Callum Reid, Marty Moore, Sam Carter, Nick Timoney, David Shanahan, Angus Curtis, James Hume.

yeah seen that on the game thread. Disappointing tbh, No Doak, Finlay, Stewart, Allison or Sexton.

glad to see Rea jr and McCann though. but does Alby really need to play?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I don't really see it with Rea jr but i hope he proves me wrong. Probably needs to make use of this chance, games are hard to come by.

Glad to see Curtis back playing, he was good at u20 level but got injured so soon that we never really got an idea of where he's at with the seniors.

Prefer Addison at 15 coming into the line but im just happy he's on the field.

I don't really see it with Rea jr but i hope he proves me wrong. Probably needs to make use of this chance, games are hard to come by.

Glad to see Curtis back playing, he was good at u20 level but got injured so soon that we never really got an idea of where he's at with the seniors.

Prefer Addison at 15 coming into the line but im just happy he's on the field.

Rea Jnr has a bit of dog, just needs some ballast. Seems more 6.5

I suppose this selection is consistent with McFarland's recent approach to development interpro fixtures. Mix of experience and inexperience.

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    yeah seen that on the game thread. Disappointing tbh, No Doak, Finlay, Stewart, Allison or Sexton.

glad to see Rea jr and McCann though. but does Alby really need to play?!

I reckon you'll see those guys in the last three matches...whoever they are against

I reckon you'll see those guys in the last three matches...whoever they are against

Is there not just 1 more round?

awec wrote: »

Pretty sure there are three more matches to be announced, but feck knows with the way this season has been organised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Looking forward to seeing MCann, ReaJea, Lowry at ten, Reid and Curtis play.

Congrats to big Iain. He's earned it, and I sincerely hope he comes back a Test lion.

Looking forward to seeing MCann, ReaJea, Lowry at ten, Reid and Curtis play.

Congrats to big Iain. He's earned it, and I sincerely hope he comes back a Test lion.

Really is a nice blend of experience and youth! Looking forward to it. Scrum half is the only real let down.

I said at the weekend I wanted to see Reid and McCann in the pack and Lowry at 10, so I can't really complain!

Good to see Curtis back.

Interesting that Addison and Stockdale are at 13 and 15. Addison might be able to create a bit of space for Stockdale, McIlroy and Lyttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I said at the weekend I wanted to see Reid and McCann in the pack and Lowry at 10, so I can't really complain!

Good to see Curtis back.

Interesting that Addison and Stockdale are at 13 and 15. Addison might be able to create a bit of space for Stockdale, McIlroy and Lyttle.

I was really impressed with Addison (barring one mistake kicking out on the full after bringing the ball back in his 22) his injection of pace before passing always seemed to create a bit of excitement.
    13 will probably be a good place for him to influence the game the most.

I’m a big fan of Lowry at 10 also, and often wonder if he would switch inside to 9 as he could be a phenomenal scrum half as well, electric footwork and he punches above his weight in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

awec wrote: »

No but it’s a big secret, was meant to be against 2 other pro+ teams and one saffer team. Now it will just be 3 random pro+ teams.

salmocab wrote: »
    No but it’s a big secret, was meant to be against 2 other pro+ teams and one saffer team. Now it will just be 3 random pro+ teams.

The league must realise how bad this looks at this point. It's so amateurish looking, literally making it up as they go along.

Playing this tournament has been a huge mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

How is Cooney doing after last week's misfortune?

Advertisement