Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Will Addison’s season is over 4 week ban for last weeks red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

launish116 wrote: »
    Will Addison’s season is over 4 week ban for last weeks red.

Can't get injured then, great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Nobody can even be bothered to post tomorrow night's team!

And I'm one of them.

Notable selections.. none really, a strong team is fair enough this week given the opposition. Gilroy comes in at wing, Bobby B is back after his concussion, Stockdale at 15, Burns back 10, Shanners at 9. We probably have our strongest available pack out.

Notable bench inclusions for Callum Reid and especially Nathan Doak.

I'm not bothered about this in the slightest. Hopefully we see a lot more rotation for Edinburgh and the Scarlets.

bilston wrote: »
    Nobody can even be bothered to post tomorrow night's team!

And I'm one of them.

Notable selections.. none really, a strong team is fair enough this week given the opposition. Gilroy comes in at wing, Bobby B is back after his concussion, Stockdale at 15, Burns back 10, Shanners at 9. We probably have our strongest available pack out.

Notable bench inclusions for Callum Reid and especially Nathan Doak.

I'm not bothered about this in the slightest. Hopefully we see a lot more rotation for Edinburgh and the Scarlets.

Actually thought Leinster would of thrown more youth in. Looking like a full house of provincial losses for us!

Really worry for us next season!

Actually enjoyed watching that. We were frustrating at times, as usual, but showed a bit of bite and competitiveness. We didn't take our chances in the first half, gave them easy territory with poor penalties and bad cover in the backfield (Baloucoune in particular), and couldn't compete with their bench.

Don't think anyone stood out tbh, Stockdale was continuing his decent form, Rea carried well I thought and Hendy mixed the good with the bad. Lyttle was fun in attack but didn't cover the ground well in defence at 15. Hume was busy - carried well and didn't do too bad in defence. I think his distribution needs work, feel like he gets tunnel vision and cuts back in when a pass outside is on and could open things up. He's a more natural passer than McCloskey and doesn't look as awkward as him in making decisions so it's definitely something he can improve on. That's probably the one area Stewart Moore stands out from our other centres in, he's always looking outside and always looks like he's ready to make a pass.

Subs did ok but it was a big ask. Reid went backwards in a couple of scrums but I still think he's ready for more games next year. Roberts is an excellent third choice hooker to have. I always preferred Finlay to Doak but I'm not sure what to make of him. His distribution was a lot quicker than the A game earlier in the year but could still be quicker, his passing wasn't the most accurate either imo. He was a lot calmer and assured than his debut a while back which is great to see. Decent size for a 19 year old scrumhalf.

• Advertisement

Nobody knows how the Rainbow cup works anyway, so nobody can tell me we aren't first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BossMullet

In a world where Andy Warwick gets red-carded on the basis of potential player safety issues and Henshaw gets nothing for his tackle, it is easy to fall apathetic towards the game of rugby.

Saying that, was expecting a massacre but they played with an intensity and determination that has been lacking recently. Hopefully we can finish this season strongly and look forward to next year.

Remove the box kick and Shanahan is a new player!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Remove the box kick and Shanahan is a new player!

Was honestly shocked at how well he went in the first half. His passing was clean, he was nippy getting to the base of the ruck and ran some nice support lines, had a couple of snipes from the base too.

Does make you wonder did our game plan impede him, he seems to cope quite well at pace last nite! Definitely at better passer than Doak! Really wish Finlay would get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

BossMullet wrote: »

In a world where Andy Warwick gets red-carded on the basis of potential player safety issues and Henshaw gets nothing for his tackle, it is easy to fall apathetic towards the game of rugby.

Saying that, was expecting a massacre but they played with an intensity and determination that has been lacking recently. Hopefully we can finish this season strongly and look forward to next year.

Ulster frequently play well in dead rubbers. It's in the ones that matter that they often go awol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I'd have taken that score beforehand. Thought we looked skilful and showed good intensity for decent stretches. Was disappointed initially not to have more youngsters, but that was a good performance, despite the loss, and will have restored a bit of pride and steadied the ship.

Rea, Timoney and Shanahan all looked very good. Henderson and McCloskey were excellent.

We're not far off. We need real leadership, is my thinking. A Muller in his prime would take this team places. We're a young team, and the top two inches isn't there yet. We get flustered, despondent, over-excitable. It's genuinely not a single word of hyperbole to say that we deal better with going down to fourteen men ourselves, than when the opposition have someone sent off. We fall at final hurdles.

That will improve as the team gets older - players in key areas like Lowry, Hume, O'Toole, O'Sullivan will especially benefit from the minutes they are clocking up. But i think we need a proper vet or two - players who have been thete, done that, got the T-shirt.

Henshaw was wreckless and never in control of the tackle so I can definitely understand Henderson's annoyance, but the reality is there was no contact with Baloucoune's head so I think the ref was right. But an inch higher and they were both in trouble.

Henshaw was wreckless and never in control of the tackle so I can definitely understand Henderson's annoyance, but the reality is there was no contact with Baloucoune's head so I think the ref was right. But an inch higher and they were both in trouble.

Disagree. Head contact makes it a definite red but it was high, at high speed with a lack of control which as per law application guidelines is a red.

Personally I felt the lack of head contact makes it a yellow. Its nonsensical as a general point to require blatantly reckless actions to cause injury in order to incur sanctions. The thrust of the law directives is to penalise such actions to change player behaviour. That clearly didn't happen in this case.

Ulster frequently play well in dead rubbers. It's in the ones that matter that they often go awol.

Agree with the lack of consistency, but we have seen that intensity in some competitive games. I think of the toulouse home game, second half of the Northampton game, champions cup 1/4 against leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Henshaw moved fast and hit hard. His tackle wasn't high (by the laws of the game) and he wrapped his arms. The ifs/buts/maybes are irrelevant.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,506 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Disagree. Head contact makes it a definite red but it was high, at high speed with a lack of control which as per law application guidelines is a red.

This is where you are incorrect

The law application is literally called "head contact process"

The very first determination to be made is "has head contact occurred" and if not... Play on.

https://rugbyreferee.net/2021/03/11/new-head-contact-process-unveiled-by-world-rugby/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Burkie1203 wrote: »

That is very interesting! So we’re hopefully still in the market!

Be a good signing, though could be on international duty a good bit.

Interesting

One thing I would say is that LHP is one of the few forward positions where we actually have a decent prospect coming through in Callum Reid, but in saying that, having Rory Sutherland for 2 years would be great for his development, given Sutbherland wouldn't be available all the time and he'd still get good game time from the bench behind O'Sullivan.

But if we want to compete for trophies this is exactly the sort of signing we need. I've always thought Tom Court was a very underestimated player back in the day when we were reaching European and Pro 12 finals. Having a strong front row is a necessary foundation if you want to win trophies.

Mind you if Ulster and Rochelle are both in for him then we're likely to be 2nd favourites. Hendy may make him his best friend in SA!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Would that signal the end of Jack McGraths time with Ulster?

stephen_n wrote: »

Or maybe worried he’ll miss most of the season rehabing

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sutherland would be a great signing but given his international commitments I would be surprised if it happened. He's in his prime and will be a Lion. He would demand big money and be missing for some of the season. Less of an issue with less games in the Pro16 but you'd rather have NIEs always available.

James Cronin's future hasn't yet been announced, if Ulster are stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

James Cronin's future hasn't yet been announced, if Ulster are stuck.

Not sure if you’re trying to wind Awec up with that one?

stephen_n wrote: »

Oh crap, I forgot all about him

Worst bit being now we’re hearing this and if nothing happens...more questions will be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭theVersatile

https://twitter.com/ultimaterugby/status/1394341813327212544?s=19

Just another excuse to look at THAT Henderson carry. In hindsight, what on Earth happened with that Leinster line out?

And an interesting stat to supplement it.

https://twitter.com/jonny_mccormick/status/1394329522028355596?s=19

If only some more of our back row could carry like that

If only some more of our back row could carry like that

Matty Rea carried pretty well on Friday and Timoney seems to be getting more powerful every single week so it's not all doom and gloom. Although I still think Rea is a very good Pro 14 player and Timoney a decent European player. If we want to win trophies they have to kick on more or we need to upgrade. But to be fair Timoney continues to surprise me with his level. He's still young enough as well.

• Advertisement

Matty Rea carried pretty well on Friday and Timoney seems to be getting more powerful every single week so it's not all doom and gloom. Although I still think Rea is a very good Pro 14 player and Timoney a decent European player. If we want to win trophies they have to kick on more or we need to upgrade. But to be fair Timoney continues to surprise me with his level. He's still young enough as well.

In fairness that was probably the best I’ve seen him (Rea) carry in a long time. He needs to make that the bench mark going forward. He has the size and capabilities, just need to maintain that standard week in week out.

He basically is the only 6 we have, really need some competition to keep him upping his game. I know he sat out quite few games recently, but with our lack of grunt he is needed.

Advertisement