Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Whats the story with him? Why didn’t he succeed with Leinster? Another O’Sullivan hopefully,?

have a lot of time for players coming here with a want to succeed! '

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Very tall, not great in scrum apparently.

Azur Allison's still about as well?

Haven’t seen him in pics or clips! Did see him on Instagram doing pre-season prep with some other players and he looked huge. Really can’t see how we wouldn’t at least take another punt for one year with our limited resources currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Glad he's been given the opportunity even if it might be a little late development-wise, he was a standout player in a school team that has three current Ulster senior players in it. Although, I liked Finlay much more than Doak, so my opinion might not be worth much. O'Donnell is a different 9 than what we have in the academy currently as well, he's a real threat around the sides of the ruck.

Nicked from elsewhere. Thanks to original posters on original forum.

NIE Players

Ulster:

NIQ - Sam Carter (Aus)

Residency Qualified - Bradley Roberts

Munster

NIQ - RG Snyman (SA), Damian de Allende (SA), Jason Jenkins (SA)

Residency Qualified - Keynan Knox, Chris Cloete, Roman Salonoa, Jean Kleyn

Connacht

NIQ - John Porch (Aus), Ben O'Donnell (Aus), Abraham Papalli'i (NZ) (Qualifies 2025)

Residency Qualified - Jared Butler, Bundee Aki

Leinster

NIQ - Michael Alaalatoa (Sam)

Residency Qualified - James Lowe, Jamison Gibson-Park, Vakh Abdaladze

• Advertisement

Just leaving this here now so he doesn't need to bother his hoop popping up to post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Abdaladze qualified on residency? I suppose it's *technically* true, but there's a bit of a difference between qualifying after being in a country since 5 years of age and qualifying after moving to play pro rugby.

Sad predicament and more depressing when you look at the other squads reinforcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Hopefully Ulster can make some money this coming season with crowds back at the Kingspan and that might give them a decent kitty to go and sign 1 or 2 good quality NIQs for next season. Presumably they have the Coetzee money still available, or is that being used to cover Covid related losses?

It's frustrating because it's the usual "building for the future" strategy.

Form once I think our Academy is delivering the talent, but as we've discussed endlessly there are one or two gaping holes in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Residency Qualified - Keynan Knox, Chris Cloete, Roman Salonoa, Jean Kleyn

Pretty sure these two become NIE again if not capped in 2021 due to World rugby moving from three years to five years residency periods.

• Advertisement

Be some real big questions asked if nothing special materialises next season player wise with the departure of Coetzee.

Think this will be a tough season, make or break for a lot of younger guys, followed by another clear out the start of following season. Heading in the right direction but as you say "building for the future strategy" is getting tiresome.

Sounds about right.

I'd say the most we can realistically hope for is;

A fully fit and refreshed McGrath,

Doak, McCann, potentially Izzy to start establishing themselves,

Some substantial time for Lowry at 10,

O'Sullivan's and O'Toole's scrummaging to come on,

To know where we stand re: Allison, Rea Jr, O'Connor Jr.

Presumably see Stewart's first cap and hopefully continued promise from Sheridan as well.

Might actually see Milasovich also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

A rare agreement with you Rich lol.

If Vakh is qualified on residency then Jordi Murphy and Luke McGrath could be considered too.

Unless the metric is parenthood I guess.

In any case, lesser tangents than this have derailed threads.

Hopefully the time Lowry had in the Ireland camp will have stood to him. We haven't replaced Johnston and while Doak can in theory cover 10, I hope he focuses on 9, so Lowry could see a lot more time at 10 especially with Addison hopefully available all season to play 15.

I'd also like to see McIlroy have loads of opportunities as well whether on the wing or at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Yeah I presume the kicker here is the parentage which would make the likes of Dillane, Heaslip, Herring, Joey, etc normally qualified but leave African and Eastern European migrant players as technically being residency qualified.

It's literally the opposite.

Jordi qualifies because he was born outside Ireland to Irish parents.

Abdaladze qualifies because his Georgian parents move to Ireland with him.

lt's only really important to you two, though. I don't think anyone begrudges Abdaladze the opportunity to play for Ireland. I don't think anyone really cares.

Agreed. He didn't get a vast amount of experience last season, but I'd like to see McIlroy shaping up to be our second choice FB. I don't want Stockdale there, and don't want to see Addison at OC. Lowry time at ten.

Being parochial about the Lions for a minute...I'm gutted for Hendy. It must be really hard being in SA and stuck in your hotel and holding tackle bags for everyone else and not getting a look in for the test series for the second series in a row.

• Administrators Posts: 53,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think this one will be really frustrating for him.

AWJ's miracle recovery did for him.

• Advertisement

Yeah. He has been consistently good/excellent since the autumn series last year. Was brilliant in the 6N. Good against Japan.

I'm extremely disappointed for him, but I also genuinely think that's a weaker Lions team for not having him in it.

I think he would strengthen the lineout. It's one of those things you only really notice when he isn't there. But this last season any Ulster or Ireland team I've watched has had a better lineout with him in the side and a worse one when he has been injured or not in the team for whatever reason.

Not to mention one of the top tacklers on tour also.

Really can't fathom why Hendy, Beirne & Navidi haven't been considered for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I would imagine they were considered.

To be fair, I don't think Hendy has played close to what he's capable of on this tour and Beard has played better.

But Beirne getting dropped I just can't understand. He was standout on the tour.

Henderson's physicality would help now.

It doesn't help that he will have no one fighting his corner in selection. There arw a bunch of coaches who can only go off what they have seen on tour, he's been ok. However if Farrell was there, he'd be able to say..."this is what he did against England, this is what he did against SA last year...he's a big game player". No one can fight his corner that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Patsy167

No room for sentiment in sport but you've got to feel for Iain Henderson. Second Lions tour and no test caps. Beard (a player who was not even selected in the initial squad) being picked ahead of him for the final test. He must be scratching his head wondering what more he has to do.

Hopefully he carries his good form into the upcoming season for Ulster

If AWJ hadn't come back, I wouldn't be surprised if Hendo had started all three tests.

If he's as good in green next season as he was this, we're laughing. Hopefully we see him in white a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Henderson not playing is a win-win for Irish rugby as far as I'm concerned. Save the body for Ulster and Ireland.

Really quite like the new training kit

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,507 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I see matt Faddes back starting on the wing for otago this weekend

Advertisement