Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

damianmcr wrote: »
    No idea and I just wondered where Robert Baloucoune was.

Good shout...and Rob Lyttle

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

McCloskey, Lyttle, Baloucoune, Johnston, Marty Moore, Ludik......I wonder if we’ll see all these next week

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Id like to see McCloskey and Moore anyway

I thought Eric O’Sullivan looked full of energy when he came on. I’d imagine he wants to lay down a marker with McGrath arriving soon!

damianmcr wrote: »
    Id like to see McCloskey and Moore anyway

Stewart?

That could be an exciting midfield partnership, although is Moore not seen more as a 12?

It would be nice to be able to give big Stu a break from time to time this season. We relied heavily on him last season. Hopefully Angus Curtis steps up and most importantly keeps his head out of trouble. He looked pretty sharp when he came on yesterday, albeit against a pretty relaxed Glasgow defence.

• Advertisement

mogwai81 wrote: »
    McCloskey, Lyttle, Baloucoune, Johnston, Marty Moore, Ludik......I wonder if we’ll see all these next week

Ludik was doing the Facebook commentary yesterday. That suggests he may not be about next week. Might be completely wrong though.

Weird the way they worked the scrum halves yesterday. 40 mins for Stewart (he played well BTW), 20 for Shanahan and then 20 for Cooney. That's pre season for you...

bilston wrote: »
    Stewart?

That could be an exciting midfield partnership, although is Moore not seen more as a 12?

It would be nice to be able to give big Stu a break from time to time this season. We relied heavily on him last season. Hopefully Angus Curtis steps up and most importantly keeps his head out of trouble. He looked pretty sharp when he came on yesterday, albeit against a pretty relaxed Glasgow defence.
    Nah Marty

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

bilston wrote: »
    Stewart?

Don't know. Played plenty at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Weird the way they worked the scrum halves yesterday. 40 mins for Stewart (he played well BTW), 20 for Shanahan and then 20 for Cooney. That's pre season for you...

Guessing they know what Cooney, Shanahan can deliver. Need Stewart to get more exposure and start pushing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Scythica

Only saw patches but the one thing I did notice was our willingness to run the ball.

Seemed to have good support lines for most breaks and dare I say it.. it just looked like the lads were having fun.

Genuinely excited to see what we can do this season, some good signings made IMO.

Also, anyone heard the rumour that we've signed the Du Toit prop? Maybe our new Georgian is injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Scythica wrote: »
    Only saw patches but the one thing I did notice was our willingness to run the ball.

Seemed to have good support lines for most breaks and dare I say it.. it just looked like the lads were having fun.

Genuinely excited to see what we can do this season, some good signings made IMO.

Also, anyone heard the rumour that we've signed the Du Toit prop? Maybe our new Georgian is injured.
    Yea he’s injured, out for most of the season iirc

By then, Ulster coach Dan McFarland will likely have trimmed his squad from the 29 involved on Saturday to a more manageable number which will probably reflect those in the frame to play the first PRO14 game when Ulster host the Ospreys on the last Friday of the month.

He ought to also be able to deploy the most recent Ireland camp returnees with Rob Herring, Will Addison, Jordi Murphy and new signing Jack McGrath potentially all ready to tog out.

"There's a good chance we'll use those guys for a bit of game-time," McFarland admitted.

"It's really disappointing on an individual level for those guys (to have not made the World Cup) but ultimately we've got to put ourselves in a position where we can help those guys, as a team, to put their names forward.

"I've spoken to them and they're desperate to get playing."

There were some notable absentees from Ulster's expanded squad with props Marty Moore and Andy Warwick not involved while Stuart McCloskey, Louis Ludik, Robert Baloucoune and Aaron Sexton were also not available.

Whether they will be in a position to play this Saturday remains to be seen - McFarland did allude to Baloucoune not being ready
    Copied from belfast telegraph

Listening to the 42.ie podcast it was mentioned that Henderson wasn't renowned for his scrummaging. I know the front row can be very technical, but I would have thought regarding the locks it was very much power/weight related. I've consistently heard it mentioned in interviews that Henderson is one of the most powerful in the Irish squad, so I wonder why he isn't regarded as a strong scrummager.
    Hopefully someone here can enlighten me on what makes a lock a good scrummager, aside from natural strength. I know apart from exceptions like Paul O'Connell and James Ryan, normally the heavier lock packs down at tight-head, but thats all I know regarding the roles of locks during the scrum. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Listening to the 42.ie podcast it was mentioned that Henderson wasn't renowned for his scrummaging. I know the front row can be very technical, but I would have thought regarding the locks it was very much power/weight related. I've consistently heard it mentioned in interviews that Henderson is one of the most powerful in the Irish squad, so I wonder why he isn't regarded as a strong scrummager.
    Hopefully someone here can enlighten me on what makes a lock a good scrummager, aside from natural strength. I know apart from exceptions like Paul O'Connell and James Ryan, normally the heavier lock packs down at tight-head, but thats all I know regarding the roles of locks during the scrum. Thanks in advance!

Similar to weightlifting, a big part of it is just down to technique in terms of power transfer and body positioning, as well as being able to contribute to helping stop the scrum from wheeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Any word on when Addison is due back?

Tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ulster Rugby squad to play Glasgow Warriors, pre-season fixture, Saturday 14th September, Scotstoun Stadium, 2.30pm:
    (15-9): W Addison; C Gilroy, M Faddes, S McCloskey, R Lyttle; B Burns (captain), J Cooney;
    (1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Herring, M Moore, K Treadwell, S Carter, Matty Rea, S Reidy, N Timoney;
    Replacements: J Andrew, K McCall, J McGrath, T O’Toole, A O’Connor, J Murphy, G Jones, D Shanahan, B Johnston, J Hume, A Curtis, A Kernohan, M Lowry.

Ulster Rugby squad to play Glasgow Warriors, pre-season fixture, Saturday 14th September, Scotstoun Stadium, 2.30pm:
    (15-9): W Addison; C Gilroy, M Faddes, S McCloskey, R Lyttle; B Burns (captain), J Cooney;
    (1-8): E O’Sullivan, R Herring, M Moore, K Treadwell, S Carter, Matty Rea, S Reidy, N Timoney;
    Replacements: J Andrew, K McCall, J McGrath, T O’Toole, A O’Connor, J Murphy, G Jones, D Shanahan, B Johnston, J Hume, A Curtis, A Kernohan, M Lowry.

What's up with Luke?

Two weeks in a row that Burns has been captain...interesting...

Thats a pretty talented backline with the likes of Stockdale, Baloucoune and Marshall to come back too. Hopefully Bill Johnston gets some decent minutes at 10. Is this game available on Facebook/YouTube again or was last week just a once off from Bank of Ireland?

Thats a pretty talented backline with the likes of Stockdale, Baloucoune and Marshall to come back too. Hopefully Bill Johnston gets some decent minutes at 10. Is this game available on Facebook/YouTube again or was last week just a once off from Bank of Ireland?

Last week was a home game so presumably this week is down to Glasgow and/or their sponsors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Think they said last week that this one's on Facebook as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster A team to play Leinster A, Celtic Cup Round 4, Saturday 14th September at Energia Park, Donnybrook:

(15-9): Conor Rankin; Ethan McIlroy, Ross Adair, Hayden Hyde, Graham Curtis; Bruce Houston, Nathan Doak;

(1-8): Andy Warwick, Adam McBurney, Peter Cooper, Jack Regan, David O’Connor, Azur Allison, Marcus Rea (Capt), David McCann.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Tommy O’Hagan, Paul Mullen, Matthew Dalton, Aaron Hall, Jonny Stewart, Ben Power, Luke Pollock.

Weird - if good - team. Wonder if McBurney is in for leadership? Some rise for Doak – is he not still at school? U19? Glad to see captaincy given to another young backrower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

jacothelad wrote: »

Been good so far!

Glasgow with there usal niggle

Lost. 36 - 33.

Lost. 36 - 33.

Missed the second half. But Faddes and Lyttle scored a cracker!

launish116 wrote: »
    Missed the second half. But Faddes and Lyttle scored a cracker!

Lyttle's was superb...just what we expect from him. I think he is one of the best players I've seen for many years. He beats defenders with ease, has great pace and a brilliant level of passing skills, is a top notch tackler, kicks really well out of hand and is a demon goal kicker. I wonder why he wasn't ever a 9 or a 10. Perhaps his stature makes people wary. It doesn't seem to hold him back. He is like a better version of Gilroy.

Hume also played very well tho' the commentator obviously thought he was Faddes and that Faddes was Addison...well actually he thought he was someone called Adamson for most of the game. He also though Kane was Marty Moore.

Treadwell was very good. Top player.

Glasgow are going to be right up there again, considering that they have 19 (?) players at the RWC. Lucky for Ulster those guys weren't playing to day.

Feel bad for the A team. They'd looked pretty good. Did they get a point for four tries?

Lyttle's was superb...just what we expect from him. I think he is one of the best players I've seen for many years. He beats defenders with ease, has great pace and a brilliant level of passing skills, is a top notch tackler, kicks really well out of hand and is a demon goal kicker. I wonder why he wasn't ever a 9 or a 10. Perhaps his stature makes people wary. It doesn't seem to hold him back. He is like a better version of Gilroy.

Hume also played very well tho' the commentator obviously thought he was Faddes and that Faddes was Addison...well actually he thought he was someone called Adamson for most of the game. He also though Kane was Marty Moore.

Treadwell was very good. Top player.

Glasgow are going to be right up there again, considering that they have 19 (?) players at the RWC. Lucky for Ulster those guys weren't playing to day.

Glad to hear Treadwell is still going well. I think he's shown serious improvement under McFarland. Started to live up to that promise.

• Advertisement

Has anyone a link to the full match? I can't find it on Youtube and the link from Jacothelad isn't working for me. Thanks!

Advertisement