Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Insane neck-roll on Rea by Henshaw at 62:53, while Frank Murphy watches on and wonders what's for tea.

The Deegan penalty shouldn't have stood - he let go not long after Murphy called it.

Edit - I mean, Murphy said leave it and he did. Of course, he could have just penalised him - you know, for cheating. But if you're going to warn someone rather than penalise them, you need to give them time to stop, and I thought Deegan did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Was wondering why that one wasn't looked at. I don't think they showed a replay on the feed I was watching, so just assumed there wasn't much in it.

Doak's main point of difference seems to be his box kicking and how settled he seems for someone his age.

I'm a huge fan of Harry Byrne, but things went from bad to worse after he started forcing things a little too much. I still think he's comfortably the best 10 prospect in the country, he just needs to keep fit and get some game time under his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I don't recall one TMO intervention in the game.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not saying that he was particularly harsh on Ulster at all, but the idea that he didn't also do Leinster some serious favours is wide of the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

(15-9) Mike Lowry, Robert Baloucoune, Angus Curtis, Stuart McCloskey, Ethan McIlroy, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8) Eric O’Sullivan, Bradley Roberts, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Alan O’Connor (Capt.), Sean Reidy, Nick Timoney, David McCann.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Jack McGrath, Marty Moore, Mick Kearney, Marcus Rea, Nathan Doak, Stewart Moore, Craig Gilroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Pretty handy props to spring from the bench in the second half. The Ulster Bomb Squad....err maybe that won't stick...

Curtis at 13 is an interesting call. Dont think we've seen him there before.

Finally far be it from me to question Dan's selections but might have been nice for Gilly to start his 200th cap rather than be on the bench. Team comes first of course.

Indeed, looking forward to seeing McGrath back and some of Stewart!

What has happened Andrew? is he injured?

• Advertisement

He got the first half of the A game the other week. Bradley will be knocking his pan in to impress the Welsh lads, though - shrewd from Dan.

Rotation already a factor. Disappointed to see Lowry back at FB. Very excited to see McGrath back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is Luke Marshall injured? Haven't seen him in ages. Hopefully Ulster continue on from last week. Any updates on Kearney? His short term deal must be almost over?

No word on Kearney but I’d be very keen to keep him!

I'd be keen to buy one of those massive south african's like everyone else does, but we'll take what we can get I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Four more of those for christmas and we'll be on our way.

He has really soft hands for someone his size. Wonder if playing 7's will impact playing for the u20's this season.

Some crisp play from Ulster so far, will they regret not making more of their possession!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

One out runners, slow ruck ball and a ten that wont come remotely near the line and if he does he gets turned over

The inability to convert in the 22 is very costly, but Ulster look here a team very easy to defend against because the lack of imagination is stark.

A lot of people rave about balacoune and maybe he is that good, but this team and espically this 10 isnt giving him the opportunity to show it.

Ospreys eating it up all day and making ulster Make a mistake in possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ulster really needed to follow up that Leinster victory with another win. But that was just a dismal performance against an Ospreys side that were hammered by Connacht last week.

Ref had a couple of impactful decisions, but we were horrible. Forwards got minced in the scrum, couldn't make hard yards, our maul went nowhere and our attack was so simple to defend against.

What was Doak doing at the end there? Turnover ball in their 22 with 90 seconds left and he boots it. Disgusting decision.

Positives

• McCann was everywhere, starting to see some power and footwork
    • Stewart looked eager and not completely out of place
    • Rea starting to show his worth as an open side, has some dog
    • McIlroy just does the basics perfectly
    • Mcgrath back and gaining game time
    • handling/offloading was crisp but no reward

Negatives

• Scrum demolished, we lack a tighthead 2nd row
    • no go forward, no hard yards
    • injuries to Roberts & Stewart, Andrew awol? Do we have 2 hookers for next week?
    • Moore HIA? potentially missing next week
    • Imagine the carnage if McCloskey wasn't playing

• Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Last week for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Where is Madigan these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

He normally only goes missing on the field, has he added a new string to his bow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Moore's HIA is concerning ahead of the Heineken Cup, is Milasinovich available?, for a huge man he never seems to be in the 23.

Milasinovich appears to get injured every time he plays! Moore missing is a big concern! Also no backup hooker could be an issues also.

• Advertisement

Injury update

Bradley Roberts (ankle), Marty Moore (concussion) and Tom Stewart (foot) sustained injuries during Saturday's defeat to Ospreys in Round 7 of the United Rugby Championship. All three players are unavailable for selection for this weekend's match. 

They join Jacob Stockdale (ankle), Luke Marshall (knee), Will Addison (lower leg), Iain Henderson (hamstring), Cormac Izuchukwu (knee) and Jordi Murphy (knee) on the current injury list. 

Duane Vermeulen is completing his graduated return to training programme following his recent COVID-19 diagnosis. He remains well, and his fitness to play this weekend will be monitored through the remainder of the week.

Big blow losing Moore

Advertisement