Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Unless I'm thinking of someone else didn't he play 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Reece Malone was on the bench for u20 last Friday. He currently plays for Loughborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

We looked like a team that had had their last two games postponed and were off the pace, much like Munster against Connacht. Disappointing, frustrating, but not an indication of the team overall. Someone In The Know on another forum said that some of the guys were still getting over Covid.

(In addition, he says that Milasinovich is a decent player, but also a bit of a wab, and Dan has prioritised the excellent squad atmosphere over his playing ability. Ulster want rid of him.)

If Hume is out, then we are five very good to excellent centres down - McCloskey, Marshall, Hume, Moore, Addison - and that's a tough situation. I really,really hope we can do it against Northampton, but I'm concerned about our injury list. Curtis/Moxham does not fill me with much confidence, although I do like Curtis. Maybe Moore will make it back?

Billy Burns has seriously regressed. He's simply not as good as he was two seasons ago.

• Administrators Posts: 53,759 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea I also saw the usual in-the-know guy was saying that the Kitschoff deal was real and apparently was very close to being completed, but it's not happening now but he believes we're still in the market.

Few players not getting renewals too.

Hume and Cooney a doubt for the weekend? With Hendo and McCloskey also out it's hard to see how we win this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Meaning there were other munster players I was much more worried about conceding linebreaks to. We defended well throughtout the game, even on our own line which is rare for us, only to concede a off a linebreak from a player who isn't much of a threat with ball in hand. It just made the moment worse is all.

Payne to leave, not happy at missing assistant coach role?

Doesn't make it clear if he was offered a renewal or not.

Cooney ruled out, Hume not. Stewart Moore not listed as unavailable, nor is Madigan. Moore 12, Hume 13 most likely.

Baloucoune and Bradley Roberts back.

Great deal of thanks due to Jared.

• Advertisement

Likely team for the weekend?

1) McGrath

2) Herring

3) Moore

4) Carter

5) O'Connor

6) Jones

7) Timoney

8) Vermuellen

9) Doak

10) Burns

11) McIlroy

12) Moore

13) Hume

14) Baloucoune

15) Lowry

16) Warwick

17) Roberts

18) O'Toole

19) Treadwell

20) Rea

21) Shanahan

22) Curtis

23) Gilroy

Personally, I'd start Rea ahead of Jones (in fact maybe have Reidy in there), start Treadwell rather than Carter and have Mick Kearney on the bench, bring Lyttle in for Gilroy. I'd also think long and hard about starting Lowry, but he's probably seen too little time to start in a crunch match we want to win, and Madigan has seen no time this season so I'd worry about him on the bench.

I am worried we'll lose both the game and a lot of positive momentum. Our three most important players - Henderson, Cooney and McCloskey - are out, as are two of our most dangerous ones (Stockdale and Addison).

But I think we should absolutely target Europe, having made such a good start. The HCC is a chaotic mess - if we can use that to our advantage, we should. Every winner of every league ever has benefitted to a degree from other teams' misfortunes, so I don't give a monkey's about any asterisk beside the league this year. I'd focus on that rather than the URC, to be honest. I think that'd be of more value to the squad.

We have players who have toured with the Lions, won 6N Grand Slams, beaten the All Blacks, captained their respective countries - but not one has played in a European semi final with Ulster. We need to start getting to the point where instead of individual players who have achieved great things, we have a squad-wide experience of high pressure, tough matches. We started down that road a season or two ago with a European QF against Leinster. We should have added to it last Spring with a Challenge Cup title, and that was a disappointing stutter (although it's obvious now how Leicester were building).

The ages of that backline above are pertinent. Doak (20), Burns (27), McIlroy (21), Moore (22), Hume (23), Baloucoune (24), Lowry (23). A home QF or SF in Europe would be a brilliant learning experience for them; something to build on.

Here's hoping the game against Munster has us back up to speed.

BelTel is saying that Payne is away because he wanted the Attack job that Soper got in the end, been looking for a new job for a while apparently.

I like your team except for Carter. I'd start Treadwell.

Can't trust Carter to turn up.

Saw that. Well, no reason to assume the wrong decision was made.

We all love Payne, but our best defence coach of the last ten years has been Johnny Bell. Very coherent defence and won the Fair Play award a bunch of times under his watch, for the least yellow/red cards given away.

Same! That's the team I expect to be picked, nit that I'd pick.

I'd also have Treadwell ahead of Carter (and possibly Kearney on the bench).

Yea, fair enough that he wanted it but also fair enough that he didn't get it, there were 2 good candidates.

What's Johnny Bell at these days, wouldn't mind him back.

When is Carter's deal up? I'd be shocked if we couldn't find better.

It's a pain in the hoop that we are wasting an NIQ spot on someone who you can't even rely on to turn up, who doesn't walk into our strongest 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Surely Rea has to start at 6?

I agree that I'd like Treadwell to start, but he offers more off the bench than Carter.

Has Kearney gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What role did Neil Doak take up recently? I know he is involved again somewhere in the system.

Whatever about his credentials as a Head coach he was an excellent attack coach. We used to rip teams apart with our backs. I think that under Dan we've become a bit more one dimensional. Not a criticism, we've been more successful under McFarland, but sometimes less exciting to watch. I suppose it's a trade off.

No - think Kearney is still about.

I also prefer Rea to Jones, but I think the game against Munster was a run-out to get everyone up to speed. I don't know that the starting team will change that much. And also - it may mean nothing - Jones was doing media duties.

• Advertisement

Surely we need a 6/2 split the next two weeks?

The physicality of last week will have taken it's tole. This weekend will be no easier!

Only concern is Rea Jnr/Reidy/Vermuelen just don't look like 80 min players.

As poor as Carter has been, thought his physicality in defence last week couldn't be questioned.

Not sure if Kearney has left, hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Think I'd go for McCann at 6.

I'd have him on the bench if we went a 6/2 spilt, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Carter just renewed im not sure when its up. I thought ye were fans of Carter for maul? He's been capt a few times and all.

But surely Ulster can do better. Some Ryno Pieterse power would be nice!

Would have thought IRFU would make a big play for Trevor Brennans young fella Joshua. 6'6" nearly 18st and only 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don’t think he’d be eligible for Ireland as he’s played 20s for france and if he’s not then he’d just be an niq who would likely earn more in France.

Somehow I don't think that's a move that would happen.

Can you imagine Trevor Brennan turning up to Ravenhill to watch Ulster? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

he may have been NIQ but he is eligible for ireland 3 years after his played for france u20 which was in 2021, so in two years time..

• Advertisement

How did i forget!?

Munster then. Out with the Safers in with the whackers

Advertisement